The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Who makes good, Girl figures? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Who makes the best girl figures? Most of the ones I have seen are just boys in a long wig and that's exactly how they look.
http://www.ventriloquistmarketplace.com/....../086.JPG
Have you seen any realy good ones?
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
The one in the link above is an Albert Alfaro creation. His girl figures, IMHO, are much better than some of the "conversions" out there. He will do custom work. He's not cheap, but his figures and mechanics are excellent.

http://www.imaginariumgalleries.com/
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I like Albert's work, I've not seen one in the flesh but he makes some interesting looking characters. I don't think this is one of his best, it still looks like a boy in a wig!
I wonder how different girls faces are? Do most figure makers just make conversions because there isn't much interest in girl figures or do they think there are'nt enough differences in the faces.
What about a moody teenage girl?
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Not sure Colin. I'm not overly fond of the wig on that character - but the face seems softer (to me) than some of the male conversion figures. Sounds like you are going to need to talk with someone about a custom job that meets your needs. I can highly recommend Albert's work.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
The great Conrad Hartz has created awesome girl/woman figures. I owned and performed with one before, she's (I mean the figure) fabulous!
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Colin..have you looked at Tim Selberg's figures? He's not the most inexpensive figure maker around but he does turn out a wonderful product. I haven't seen too many girl figures though. You might write him and ask.

It seems that in the past most of the figure makers did what you mentioned...put a wig on a boy figure and gave the figure some rouge on the face. I've seen Frank Marshall figures and they looked exactly like boy figures.

Good luck, Colin! By the way Al Alfaro and Conrad Hartz also do an excellent job.

Mark

Mark Wade-kidshowvent.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Looking through the Selberg site all the girls are the same carvings as boys, some work better than others in my opinion.
Marcie=Darby
Alison=Sammy
Bonnie=Buster&C.J.
Granny=Old Coot
Viola=Gramps
Mindy=Andy
Daphne=Duncan
The ones I think work best are Mindy and Marcie.
It's just got me interested in what are the facial features that distinguish a girl from a boy, especially when they are younger.
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
I highly recommend Albert Alfaro's figures! They are AWESOME and reasonably priced, IMHO!!
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
I highly recommend Albert Alfaro's figures! They are AWESOME and reasonably priced, IMHO!!
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I hope to get to vent haven next year so maybe I;ll see some of Albert work there. Best bring my credit card!
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
If you are looking at soft figures, Mary Ann Taylor or Pavlovs Puppets would be good.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Mary Ann's stuff looks great. I'm not actually looking for a female character at the moment, I just noticed that the ones I have seen are just boys in wigs!
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
When I went to the convention in 2005, I bought a really excellent girl figure from Kem Poyner. It turned out I just could not do a female voice I found convincing and ended up selling her - I didn't want to, she was such a great figure. Last I knew. Kem wasn't doing as much with figuremaking as he was due to health reasons I think, but my info is a few years old, so if someone knows better, let us know, I love his figures.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
I can't say why female figures are rare but it is a fact. The Ventriloquist Central Collection now numbers over 160 figures and there are very few female figures. I do believe it is because most ventriloquists are men and as Dave stated it is hard for men to do female voices. Johnny Main did a wonderful job with female figures but he was one of the few.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Hmm Maybe that could be my thing! Ok now to practice the voice.
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
If you will take a look at http://www.thedummyshop.com you will find an excellent selection of female puppets ranging in age from child to older ladies with a lot of expression on their "time honored" faces. We also specialize in the older ladies having all the appropriate parts subject to the pull of gravity.

Steve
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
That link doesn't work.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Try:
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com/

Steve left off the "Pe" in shoppe. You'd think he'd have that down by now! Smile

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
It was after my bedtime on a very long day - lol. Thanks for covering for me Tom.

Steve
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
FYI: to anyone interested in a quality girl figure from one of the top figure makers, there is a Selberg girl figure for sale on Ebay right now. Just thought I'd let those interested know. I am NOT the seller of the figure and I don't even know who is but I know he had a $1200 "Buy It Now" for the figure on a previous auction and the figure didn't sell (the bid got up to $900 and I thought for sure he would get his selling price towards the end of the auction when a lot of people wait to bid at the last minute). IF you are interested, contact the seller and see what you can work out with him. It never hurts to make and offer. In this economy, folks are sometimes eager to make a deal that is good for them AND the buyer. Selberg figures are pretty darn nice and don't come up for sale all that often, IMO.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Who makes good, Girl figures? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL