The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Art of Stand-Up: Jokes, puns, and more (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Hey everyone,

This week's article in my series The Art of Stand-Up is about the difference between jokes and puns, and an explanation of a couple different kinds of puns. Enjoy, comment, and subscribe Smile

http://www.examiner.com/comedy-in-hartfo......and-more

Brian
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Best one yet!

Magicians often assume the word "pun" is just a synonym for "a bad joke" (and to be fair when magicians tell them they usually are...). Your definition is great! This clears everything up nicely. Good work
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Thanks man, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've got some solid followers and I'm hoping more members who frequent this section will tune in and start following these articles as well.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi Brian,

Slightly off topic but hopefully you wont mind.....

Given that you do stand up on its own without any magic what do you feel the magic brings to the act? Or in other words why do any magic at all?

I can think of reasons why one might add magic but wondered what your particular thinking is.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

That is an excellent question, and I will definitely consider elaborating on that for a future topic. My short answer is this.

I am a magician at heart. Always have been, always will be. The reason I got into stand-up was because I loved the comedy aspect of my magic, but was convinced that in order to do it properly I had to learn stand-up without magic as a crutch. So I got into pure stand-up. Apparently I had a knack for it and through a lot of trial and error, and a lot of failed, bombed, silent shows for the better part of a year, I came into my own as a comic.

However, comedy was merely a means to an end for me. It was a way to improve my comedy magic show by learning the art of stand-up properly. Once I was confident as a comic, I went back to my magic show because, as I said, I'm a magician at heart Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good for you, Brian. Nice to hear!!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hey Brian what happened to this series? You used to keep us updated. Has it stopped?
Neal Austin

BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

I know you're just bumping topics, but I'll respond anyway. I enjoyed writing this, but my performing schedule and fan-based stuff (weekly videos, blogging, etc) just took over my time. If there was an interest I would start writing articles again.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Shh don't give away my secrets.... Smile I think you should cut down on those annoying time consuming money earning shows and concentrate more on doing stuff for us. Smile

I know these things take a lot of time so appreciate that often something has to make way when new projects are started up. I always enjoyed reading your articles and would be interested to read more but also think it's good with blogs and weekly videos etc to remain consistent otherwise people stop tuning in. Perhaps there's a way we can expand time a bit to give you more?

Brian... do you think you could, relative to us, do your blogging, videoing and article writing at close to the speed of light?
Neal Austin

BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

I'll see if I can't find some time to write an occasional article on comedy and magic like I used to. I can co-publish on my blog http://bmmagic.tumblr.com as well.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm going to start blogging again too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Art of Stand-Up: Jokes, puns, and more (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL