The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Shanlip,

Similar story, mine. My grandson got me back into magic after many years away. What a gift it has been for both of us- a real bonding. We now call ourselves "Generation Gap" , at least until one of my children get the bug... what fun!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi, Shanlip!

Welcome to The Magic Café! A father and son doing magic together! Now that is cool. I wish my Dad and I had done that! He was a very strict military Captain, though. That is something he would never have done.

How fortunate your son is to have a Dad that would enjoy such a great pastime together! I miss my Dad, and wish we did have a common interest such as this. Thanks for sharing that, Shanlip!

Doug
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
JRL, you have a ton of time! I'm just catching the bug now in my 40s and I still feel like I have a long time to get into this. If you're in the armed forces you can entertain the troops for hours with a deck of cards, some coins and a good book or two.
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Hey JRL,
I know of the store you are talking about. I used to buy make up there for our college Acting Company. Is it at the northwestern part of the island "Aguadilla"?

I believe it was, or is, called "La broma" (The jest). The Owner was an old magus. They mainly work with clowns and party rentals. Nice guys actually. His son might remember me if you visit them. They used to call me "El telepata" (The Telepath). But unless you are talking about dark arts and superstition like Santeria, or Palo, there isn't much on the island for an aspiring Magus.

I get you man. I also served our country and am starting now that I am a civilian and have time in my hands. I only own two books on magic and am even older than you. If I am doing it, you can do it. I put it on hold, but I decided to live with no regrets, so I am doing it now. Because its now or never.

Shipping is a pain in the Island because some companies loose money because of package theft. My suggestion is to do as I did. While stateside, get on the web and find your local magic shop and drive there the same day and get yourself one or two of the books for beginners suggested on this site. If you know you will be more than a few weeks on the same base buy from a website and have it delivered next day. And get to work.

Shamsiel

Shamsiel
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I don't have it right in front of me, but I remember reading an article by Harry Blackstone Jr. about his reluctance to enter magic while his father was still alive. He didn't do too badly for a late starter!

I did magic as a teen/young adult, but hadn't touched it for over 20 years. Some things have changed (and I'm learning new things all the time), but some things never change.
  • Strangers are easier than family.
  • Nobody in the "real world" thinks like a magician.
  • They always remember things that didn't hapen, and don't remember things that did happen.
  • ...and so on...

It's more about your head than your hands (although some skills are vital).

Hang out at the Café for a while. You'll soon start surprising yourself. Get your head around the idea of saying one thing, showing another, and having the audience see yet another, and you're halfway home.

Too late? Ppfftt!!!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
mediamonk
View Profile
Regular user
Walla Walla
103 Posts

Profile of mediamonk
SGT,

A suggestion on the shipping. Have an order delivered to your family and have them mail it to you. I did that often while I was stationed in South Korea. There's nothing like getting a care package from home. Also, welcome to the Café.

Stephen
"There are two ways of living life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is." -Albert Einstein
Angrios Gabriel
View Profile
New user
PuertoRico
2 Posts

Profile of Angrios Gabriel
Saludos JRL! I've been into magic for 4 years now, and I'm from the island too. What part of the island are you from? I know of only one magic store located in Aguadilla, don't know if it the same one your talking about, but the owner of the store he'll be happy to help you. Concerning magicians I don't know too many over here, which I think is good, not too much competition to worry about!! And JRL never is too late to learn!!
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 10:25, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Shanlip,

Similar story, mine. My grandson got me back into magic after many years away. What a gift it has been for both of us- a real bonding. We now call ourselves "Generation Gap" , at least until one of my children get the bug... what fun!

The bug is easy to catch Smile
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 14:58, Dougini wrote:
Hi, Shanlip!

Welcome to The Magic Café! A father and son doing magic together! Now that is cool. I wish my Dad and I had done that! He was a very strict military Captain, though. That is something he would never have done.

How fortunate your son is to have a Dad that would enjoy such a great pastime together! I miss my Dad, and wish we did have a common interest such as this. Thanks for sharing that, Shanlip!

Doug

Thanks for the kind words Doug, I feel its better than sitting in front of a X Box or Playstation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL