The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torn 2 Pieces,- am I the only one . . . . . (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Any chance you can do this effect with a TT?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
With a TT, the effect would take too much work imo compared to Shawn's version.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
228 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
No need for a TT, Platt. That's only one reason that I love this effect (I hate TTs)!
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
I have just ordered this and am fortunate to have friends in a four piece band called 'The Torn' http://www.thetorn.co.uk
Their publicity photo's have the band name printed on them, so I am thinking that this will be a great 'autographed' souvenir for a fan wanting a signed photo at one of their gigs.
Looking forward to trying it.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
If youve tried everything and still can't create your photo then I'm willing to help. I have the photo creation down pretty quick now using Photoshop. Just send me the photo(s) you want converting. Include a photo of yourself holding the back of the DVD case to the camera just to keep it fair. I'll try to get back to you as quick as I can. If I suddenly get flooded I may have to rethink but I suspect it's a small minority having problems.

Sean
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Thanks Sean for creating the photos for me.
It went down an absolute storm with the guys in the band.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
84 Posts

Profile of mshanker
I received my T2P DVD about ten days ago. The templates worked well with my edition of Photoshop CS2. I printed several photos from the template at my desktop with photo paper, and also some at Walgreens and Wal-Mart. My problem is that after tearing the left hand has the packet and a quarter piece of the torn photo (glossy side to glossy side). Shawn easily displays it by pushing it up with his thumb. But I can't get the two pieces to do that. The gloss-to-gloss contact makes them adhere to each other.

Did any of you face the same problem...and do you have a solution? (I don't have any problems with the two pieces in the right hand. That's because the glossy paper rubs against the flat (matte) surface of the pieces in front of it.)

Cheers.
Manoj
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I got this years ago from Shawn, before the DVD came out. I use Photoshop Elements and PrintShop 20 (both ancient) to create my photos for this. Probably not as quick as the new methods, but has worked great for me for years. If I'm doing a private gig I love to get a photo of the host in advance and set this up with their photo.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 01:23, mshanker wrote:
I received my T2P DVD about ten days ago. The templates worked well with my edition of Photoshop CS2. I printed several photos from the template at my desktop with photo paper, and also some at Walgreens and Wal-Mart. My problem is that after tearing the left hand has the packet and a quarter piece of the torn photo (glossy side to glossy side). Shawn easily displays it by pushing it up with his thumb. But I can't get the two pieces to do that. The gloss-to-gloss contact makes them adhere to each other.

Did any of you face the same problem...and do you have a solution? (I don't have any problems with the two pieces in the right hand. That's because the glossy paper rubs against the flat (matte) surface of the pieces in front of it.)

Cheers.

ms,
There are two things that I know of that can cause this.

1. Your skin is dry. Try a lotion like Chamberlin's Golden Touch.

2. Or...This takes practice and is a little bit knacky, but try using a lighter touch on the separation. Play with it a little bit with both the phase of showing the four pieces separately (two in each hand), then the phase where they are all stacked and transfered to the other hand.

Probably the best solution is to use both suggestions.

Takes some practice, but will really releive the tackyness you speak of when separating the photo front to photo front issue that you mentioned.

I don't have Shawn's DVD version, just his CD Rom version, so I don't know if he addressed this on the DVD.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On 2010-10-27 11:37, murf wrote:
As for making the picture, I'm a command line sort of guy, and I use the free ImageMagick software <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php>. I use the "identify" command to get the original size, then write a tiny batch file that uses "crop", "resize", and "montage" to create the final picture. If you're new to ImageMagick, as I was, there is a learning curve, but it's nowhere near as steep as the learning curve for PS or Gimp!

Murf

This sounds fantastic! I love automating. I'll send you a PM requesting some tips. Hopefully you'll have time to answer:)
magicjluc
View Profile
New user
australia and France
61 Posts

Profile of magicjluc
I bought the T2P when I translated Shawn lecture in France a couple of years ago, but I am just working on it now, and have some problems with the templates: I am using photoshop element on a Mac...Is there anyone who could help with Photoshop element please?
Cheers
Jean-Luc
Zatanna,female magician and mentalist, 2007,2008 & 2009 WA's Magician of the year, 2011 Fringe Festival magic slam winner. Festival Off d'Avignon 2021 2022.
Magicien professionnel au féminin close-up et scène Cannes Monaco Côte d'Azur.
https://www.zatanna.pro
cardnerd
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of cardnerd
This looks awesome! Not sure how I missed this little gem. Got an upcoming show on Thanksgiving and would love to add this to my set.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2013, magicjluc wrote:
I bought the T2P when I translated Shawn lecture in France a couple of years ago, but I am just working on it now, and have some problems with the templates: I am using photoshop element on a Mac...Is there anyone who could help with Photoshop element please?
Cheers
Jean-Luc

I can explain why it is not working. PhotoShop Elements isn't a true version of PhotoShop. It's just a lite version that does not contain many of the needed features. I would suggest using GIMP and the .xcf templates on the MAC for free. Or download a trial version of Photoshop and do all the templates you need in under 30 days... who knows you may like Photoshop so much you actually buy it. eMail me direct Jean-Luc and I'll help you as you were so generous to help me on my tour of France. -shawn
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Great news! Adobe is offering Photoshop CS2 for free here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/k......ads.html I've got Windows 7 and this worked perfect for me.

Photoshop CS2 is toward the bottom of the list. This is an authorized version. Make sure you keep the webpage open because you will need to input the serial number.

A couple other tips:

If you are unable to grab and drop the image, click the Move Tool on the left side of the screen. It is under the feather.
If you need to flip your image got to: Image, Rotate Canvas, 180

Jake
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Adobe is also offering a free 30 trail of their new Cloud version of Photoshop and I have tested it and it works perfect with the provided T2P templates. http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/catalog/desktop.html

Cheers,

-shawn
wendyJ
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wendyJ
Hi Shawn and others, I'm trying desperately to get this to work for a birthday party on Saturday--I gave up on trying to get Gimp to work with the template included on the dvd, but downloaded the trial photoshop CC version as Shawn noted above. The problem I'm having is this: The template loads perfectly. When I follow the first step of double-clicking where instructed, the picture that pops up doesn't show up in the same screen as the template, it makes its own file beside it. Like I can click back and forth between them, but can't get them to show up together. I'm assuming something with the "layering" is going on, and am wondering if the program defaults to this set up and how I should fix it...Hope this makes sense to someone. THANK YOU in advance for any suggestions!!!
Wendy
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Hi Wendy, you need to drag and drop the image into the template. Or you can copy and paste the image into the template. If you still need help, pm me.
rkp
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of rkp
I would love to purchase this effect. I am not very "techie" and was wondering how difficult Gimp is to use for this application? Also, does this come with pre-made photo gimmicks that can be simply copied and then reprinted in order to perform the routine? Thanks in advance for any advice!
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Gimp is super simple and there are various templates to work from.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
wendyJ
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wendyJ
Yes, it comes with at least one pre-made gimmick that you can make more copies of. I didn't have the easiest time importing my own photo for some reason (and I'm pretty saavy) but it can certainly be done. Enjoy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torn 2 Pieces,- am I the only one . . . . . (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL