The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Torn and restored cigarette paper (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
Guys,

I'm trying to master Undivided from Martin Lewis. It is a great version of the torn and restored cigarette paper. I have trouble to find the right (size of) cigarette paper. The advised sort of cigarette paper (Club Cabaret) is not easy to get in Holland. Do you have a alternative, maybe a smaller size, like Mascote? Thanks!

Alexander.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I have the Club Cabaret - exactly what you're looking for. I've PM'd you.

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Dear close-up workers,

I am currently working on Nate Leipzig's "Tear Up With A Twist" as described in Dai Vernon's "Tribute To Nate Leipzig".
I would like to ask you if there are special ways to fold and roll up the "restored" paper, so that it
unfolds easily after the first part of the effect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Axel
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
When I did the sigaret paper I diagonaly folded the paper ZIG ZAG into a strip. theN zigzag fold half of it and then roll the rest. I would squeeze the packet between my fingers. this way it would not open prematurely. hope this helps.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Robert,
thank you very much for your help.
I will give that a try.
Cheers,
Axel
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I also have a couple of Double Wide Club Cabaret papers available.
Nala
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Peter Studebaker has a long horn paper tear that can be found on his Classic Studebaker DVD. Real good handling, and more angle proof.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Oops! that should be a couple of packages of Cabaret papers! not a couple of papers.
nala
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Axel wrote:
Dear close-up workers,

I am currently working on Nate Leipzig's "Tear Up With A Twist" as described in Dai Vernon's "Tribute To Nate Leipzig".
I would like to ask you if there are special ways to fold and roll up the "restored" paper, so that it

All the best,
Axel

Part of the magic is the presentation. I use to do Lipzig's version, and it is not an instant restoration. The pulling of the paper out a little at time is part of the magic. Slowly the paper grows bigger and bigger, as you smooth out each portion of the paper.

Without pulling my book out, I thought it was explained how Lipzig crumbled the reveal piece.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Axel wrote:
Dear close-up workers,

All the best,
Axel

Part of the magic is the presentation. I use to do Lipzig's version, and it is not an instant restoration. The pulling of the paper out a little at time is part of the magic. Slowly the paper grows bigger and bigger, as you smooth out each portion of the paper.

Without pulling my book out, I thought it was explained how Lipzig crumbled the reveal piece.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
And you're right, there is a description in the book on how to fold up the paper.
But to my taste the whole description of the effect could have been a little more detailed and generally better written.
And you're also right that this doesn't need or should be a flash restoration.
But at that point in the routine one's hands are not completly free to unfold the paper. And if you need to regrip
the paper too often it could all look a little suspicious.
Hence my question if someone had a better way of folding the paper.

But I agree that I probably just have to work on it a little longer to get more comfortable.
I tried Robert's handling and it already made things easier for me.
I'll keep practicing.

Thanks for your answers,

Axel
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Here is what it should look like...

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Exactly...
;)
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
AL KORAN had a great presentation which he did on stage.
book = PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS by Hugh Miller, page 36.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That video performance is exactly how I use to do it. Notice the paper is straighten out at the end, that is what I was trying to explain. Good trick and could be built with a lot of laughs, being just about everyone has cigarette papers on them. Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Here is what it should look like...

I've never been a smoker, so I never got "into" T&R cigarette paper. After seeing you do it, I wish I had been a smoker!!!

That was just delightful.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dick, I am not a smoker but I still do the pipecleaners thumb tie.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Being as closely associated with Jay as I was. I naturally tried his JASPERNESE Thumb Tie.(the method is EZ, but, I couldn't find the right presentation.)I had tried many variations like the "Red Tape" (Weiner)most of the string, cord, rope, etc. methods. Bev Bergeron and I even discussed Harry Willard's method, --and,presentation. I almost forgot, I also played with the old Austrian Thumb Cuffs as used by Milbourne Christopher on (I think) the TODAY TV SHOW. I just couldn't find the right presentation for ME!

Now retired, I do only a few shows, and it's not easy to break in material when you are only working occasionally. I always liked the Thumb Tie because the props could carry (except for a hoop)in your shirt pocket. I even had a special hoop made to do Karrell Fox's "bit".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Http://www.lybrary.com/torn-and-restored......ae33eea0

Michael Skinners torn and restored cigarette paper is good as any.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have loved this effect for years and as of a few years ago, the Cabaret doubles (that used to be available in the "kit" from Martin Lewis) dried up everywhere including ebay. I have found that zig zad ultra thin blue seems to work well for me anyways. They do have the gum line but I just ignore it and proceed like always and it's not a problem.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
I use OCB Gumless Papers 150 Leaf Booklet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Torn and restored cigarette paper (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL