The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unicorns are real (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1066 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
For some people, all the proof they need for the existence of unicorns is to be found in the good book. Job 39, for instance, gives us:
Quote:
Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?
Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

Anyway, I know there are a few people out there who prefer empirical evidence. Well, it's here.

Guess that settles everything, eh?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
John,

That's an interesting little video.

However,the Biblical reference is not quite so clear. The word in the original text, re'em, Strong's #7214, does not necessarily refer to the unicorn, although that word is used in the King James Version. Other translations include aurochs or even wild bull or ox. The word occurs 9 times in the Bible, usually in association with the animal's strength, and horn or horns (the plural horns always occurs when the animal is also mentioned in the plural, so unicorn is not impossible.) My personal preference, is that the aurochs is meant, but it could well be another creature.

Peace Out.

Woland
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3998 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Bob Sanders has one...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15653 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why do they call them Unicorns?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1554 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
It would make more sense to call them Unihorns. Wouldn't it?

That and, green alligators, long legged geese, humpty back camels and chimpanzees were already named.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
I was previously unaware that unicorns forwent the use of their legs during locomotion. Thanks for the video.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Should anyone want to know the story behind that video ...

See here
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I love that some thought the color wasn't right!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 21:47, Woland wrote:

...Other translations include aurochs or even wild bull or ox...

But, I thought the point was to have a belief, and choose the version and the parts that most closely align with them. Maybe I don't understand how it works.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20497 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Of course we have Real Live Unicorns!

http://www.questx.com/mvm/unicorn1.jpg

and they do card tricks too! Ask Kyle. (Posted: Sep 12, 2010 12:11am) See Photo!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=210

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

http://magicvalleymagic.com/
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Josh,

I'm not sure I understand the question. I think at the time the Book of Job was written, certainly at the time the Book of Deuteronomy was written, the meaning of the word was clear to the originally intended audience. Whether the English translators were correct in using the word "unicorn" is the question.

As for "unihorn," "unicorn" is from the Latin, "cornus" means horn.

Peace Out.

Woland
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-10-24 01:20, Nosher wrote:
I was previously unaware that unicorns forwent the use of their legs during locomotion.

Good point. At least the mane moved.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Woland, I just thought accuracy in the translation was secondary to finding the translation that best suited your beliefs.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Josh,

OK, I understand your point. To me accuracy in translation is paramount, otherwise you have no idea what the text was intended to convey.

Peace Out.

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-24 07:48, Bob Sanders wrote:
Of course we have Real Live Unicorns!

http://www.questx.com/mvm/unicorn1.jpg

Nice! Has he / she / it been up Don Valley way lately? If so, mystery solved.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1168 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Of course there are unicorns; they just don't exist." - Raymond Smullyan.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20497 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You do know better than to play Leap Frog with a unicorn?

Bob

PS --- Lucy and I have really enjoyed some of the video related to the links here. Thank you!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3632 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
When I was putting on Star Trek convention (in the 70s) a guy showed up with a unicorn goat named Lancelot.

The Goat was very smart (he would bow and such tricks) and really cute. I gather the guy went to some trouble to make this happen although he was purposefully unclear as to the method (selective breeding, horrible braces and the removal of one horn or operations) but he did also have a younger kid with one horn. I like to imagine it was a genetically transferable mutation that the guy was trying to take credit for, but with my suspicions un-confirmable too distasteful to get, into, or excited about.

- Mary Mowder
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2675 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-10-23 21:16, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
For some people, all the proof they need for the existence of unicorns is to be found in the good book. Job 39, for instance, gives us:
Quote:
Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?
Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

Anyway, I know there are a few people out there who prefer empirical evidence. Well, it's here.

Guess that settles everything, eh?

John

Asimov mentioned this in his book on the bible. He also mentioned that there a quote concerting the "horns of the unicorn" which seems to imply the animal in question has more than one horn.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2675 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You don't look old enough to have been involved with the Star Trek convention movement in the 70s. I went to a few in NYC, where were you putting your on?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unicorns are real (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL