The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Paper trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Hi Although Im not sure of the name of the trick or its origins I have been perfoming it on & off for yrs Its the one were you take a sheet of A4 paper and after numerous folds & a decent story line you end up with with the the spelling of a certain word & a symbol (dont want to say what these are in case I give something away) my question is...Can a third "symbol" be obtained from the same piece of paper as I have heard rumuors that the symbol of a S******r can be obtained.
Thanks
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Different trick.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Pmed you
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
No clue as I have no idea what the original trick is!
never heard of this

what is the name of this effect

thanks
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I believe he's refering to the fold and tear where you have a cross. I have no clue what s*********r is suppose to be. It is rather interesting and you actually can tell the entire story of the crucifixian with it. This may not be what he is talking about but vague doesn't help much at times. It certainly isn't soething you would do tableside though.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

This isn't really "magic" but the story is called "When Hitler Goes to Heaven..." tho' I've heard others refer to it as "Heaven and Hell" and I've also heard it called "Heaven and Hitler." I have no idea the origin of this routine or who developed it.

Basically, you take a sheet of paper and fold it up in a unique triangular configuration and then by tearing it into sections, the torn pieces will unfold to to form "the letter H, the word Hell, a Nazi swastika, and a crucifix.

From the title, it sounds like it would be a horrific story, but it's actually a great little routine that packs one hell (no pun intended) of a punch for the end climax.

I have often thought of filming this in a studio setting for inclusion on my You Tube Channel but haven't gotten around to it. I just filmed a quick little demo for Magic Mike on my cell phone camera...maybe I'll shoot it in HD here before the end of the year and throw it up there.

We'll see...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Here's the video I shot for Mike. The quality is crap since I shot this on my cell phone earlier today, and since I was in an empty party room at the restaurant there is an annoying echo, but you'll get the idea.

This has nothing to do with Magic so I don't really consider it "exposure" at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdBYx03XDlk

If anyone does have more information about this routine, I'd be interested to know more.

When I was a kid, my father took me to some business seminar with him (my Mom was out of town and nobody could watch me so I had to go), and the speaker opened his lecture with this. Afterwards, I walked up to the speaker (no clue of his name now) and asked him to teach it to me...which he did. I no nothing more on this routine so if anyone cares to shed some light, I'd love to hear more about it...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Okay, that is very close to the original, which I think is in Martin Gardners Enc of Impromptu Magic. The significant difference is that you can make it with one tear and have the following:
Spell Hell and Life
Tell the story of the crucifixion showing which will be the two thieves besided Christ, the cross is in a hole in the ground, the wooden sign on top of the cross that said King of Kings, the lots (dice) tossed to see who got Jesus' robe, and the spear the stuck him with....pretty good huh?

Follow Lyles description to the point where you get to the little house shape. You then then fold the house in half by width, meaning the point is on top and you fold it side to side. You then fold it side to side again. All you now need to do is a single tear down the center of the shape you have now from the roof to the floor of what was the house shape. This leaves you with all the pieces you need.

The story we would do with it we would onfold the pieces and show the crucifixian (sp?) scene and then spell out 'you were saved from Hell' spelling hell of course then 'you found life' and spell life. The basis of our story was a guy in prison who was told if he could convince the guard that the prisoners faith was true he would release him but he could only use one sheet of paper and could only tear it once. So the guy prays about it and folds it and then after a lot of attempts finds the story line and the guard converts and releases the prisoner rather than having him executed. Tada.

It should be noted that I checked sources and on line and it seems I'm the only one who does it my way anymore...which I think is a great method and story. If anyone has any questions ask Lyle....
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
You can also spell the word LOVE with the HELL pieces. This is how I usually end the original Heaven and Hell from the Houdini Paper Magic book.

Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Disagree about it not being real magic.

Unless your conjuring Demons on a regular basis, none of us do real magic.

It does fit into Fitzkee's definition of magic.
http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Effect_Classification

Transformation & Sympathetic Reaction

I might add too, if you did it with flash paper, or restored the paper or a portion afterwards the reaction might be stronger.

Theere aren't bad trick only bad performances. Eugene Burger could kill with this!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Thanks Christopher that's a big help.... I can now see where the swastica comes from (3rd paper tear) My version was tear 1 & 2 spelling HELL then I went onto the 3rd tear for the crucifix I was never told that the whole routine has 4 torn sections.
Also thanks to magicman 1957 for the extra variation
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
And a big f'u to ol' Santa for telling you how to do the exact same thing with a single tear as well as a bit more than spelling words. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I rarely try to help people. They tend not to deserve my time. Good luck with the Hitler presentation, very hip and modern, way to think outside the40s
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2010-10-25 15:32, MagicSanta wrote:
And a big f'u to ol' Santa for telling you how to do the exact same thing with a single tear as well as a bit more than spelling words. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I rarely try to help people. They tend not to deserve my time. Good luck with the Hitler presentation, very hip and modern, way to think outside the40s

That made me laugh. Thanks, I needed that. Smile
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Santa,

I really appreciate you "filling in the blanks" on this as I've always wondered the origins of this. Truth be told, I've never done this in a show for 2 reasons. First, it doesn't play big enough for large groups to see and second, since I'm Hitler, I didn't wish to offend anyone.

This is usually just one of those "cool/interesting" things to show a few people in casual company...at least for me anyway.

It's nice to know that there are other options for this as well. I'll play around with your suggestions and see what happens...

And YOU ARE APPRECIATED! Now go look in the mirror and tell yourself that you're a good person and Gosh! Darn it!, People like me! and all will be well. Smile

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I use to do it when I did mission work and gospel shows...then I learned how to do magic better and had to quit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Paper trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL