The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Trip to New York City (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Just another 5.5 hours and you're in LA

Just make sure to get rabies shots.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2010-10-26 06:49, Roslyn wrote:
"not a lot"

He said that in a bit of a squeaky voice. It is his Paul Daniels impression – you should be glad you couldn’t hear it.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Ros, stay at least a week. You're there! You've spent the money to get there and back....why not stretch it out as long as you can. New York is very expensive, but can also be very inexpensive as well. Don't be afraid to lunch on "dirty water hot dogs" from street vendors loaded with kraut, mustard or whatever, or sausage sandwiches, or hamburgers, or the famous NYC pretzels; there's so much to street food to choose from, you'll be able to eat quite well on a budget. I've consumed street food in NY for years and never once got sick. One of the first things I do when back in the Apple is to get a hot dog and pretzel on the street. For breakfast, find some bagels and coffee or or a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Save your meal money for a nice dinner someplace reasonable, restauraunts and bistros are all over the place. And NYC pizza is absolutely the best in the world, hands down. Despite their reputation, New Yorkers are mighty nice folks when you encounter them on the street; usually willing to give directions, and generally offer help if you ask....don't be shy. best, bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Awesome Smile

I can't wait!!!!!

LA only 5.5 hours away? Hmmm.......
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
You could spend an evening at the Magic Castle. (I'm sure another round trip plane ticket would stretch the budget) but I know a some locals who might put you up.

Me, I'm too far away for it to be interesting. It would be a drive back and forth, you'd want plenty of time to walk around Hollywood, just so you can say you did it.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ros, If you do come to L.A. I live 25 miles south of the magic castle, but like Jay said, we know people. Also, I seem to have a rep for driving people to and from an airport.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
They're mumbling about 5.5 hours. It's not driving.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I can vouch for Cliff. He is an expert at driving to and from the airport. The Magic Castle is an experience I shall never forget.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I Wish A Filter Coffee Cost that. It is Normally about R16 - R22 Depending on Where you Buy. Latte's, Etc are normally Closer to The R20 Mark, Same as a Beer here.
But if you don't Drink out and Rather Buy what you want to Drink at Home it works out much cheaper here in SA.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
DavisG
View Profile
New user
Virginia
34 Posts

Profile of DavisG
"Alexander Hamilton, the fellow on our $5 bill and who was shot in a duel by Aaron Burr."

Lincoln is on the $5 bill. Hamilton is on the $10 bill.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Yup, sure was, musta been tired when I wrote that.....at least I got the duel right anyway!! Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Yes, you also got the pretzel thing wrong. Philly is WORLD reknowned for the best soft pretzels anywhere. When I was a kid and my dad did business in NY, every shop we went to made sure they got some good ol' Philly soft pretzels. We don't burn them with street vendor fire like you guys do. Speaking of Philly, Ros a round trip train ride is around $30 or so. See if you can work some time in for a visit to the "city of brotherly love", and no, I'm not talking about the rainbow flag type of love. Seriously, I could give you the .25 tour (that's the coin with our first president on it, you know... Eisenhower). We could even squeeze a side trip to lovely Hulmeville, home of Chateau Nippulini where you can even try your hand at some blacksmithing... forge your own stainless nails to take home! Let me know, as it's a lot cheaper and faster than going to L.A.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ros how can you turn that down!

a) blacksmithing With Nipps!
b) going to phili to eat soft pretzels (bring some cinamon ones back for Carrie and I).
c) you have to try a philli stake sandwich! MMMMMMMMmmmmMMMMMM

If you go to see nipps get me some fresh nails and a new SS sword! (just stick them down your trousers through the air port it will be fine!).

Dave
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
B) we don't do cinnamon (I've heard that tigers hate cinnamon)

Sword in pants: We could go on with euphemisms on that, but keep in mind we have full body scanners at airports in the states now, can't even hide plastic stuff.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
[quote]On 2010-10-30 08:58, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Yes, you also got the pretzel thing wrong. Philly is WORLD reknowned for the best soft pretzels anywhere.

Nah, sorry Nippulini, I f****d up Hamilton on the five, but NYC pretzels beat Philly's by millions of tastebuds....for one thing, who puts MUSTARD on pretzels? Only in Philly is that a big deal....Yikes, that's as bad as putting Mustard on a Philly CheeseSteak!

Nothing beats a NYC hot pretzel from a street vendor selling roasted chestnuts side by side in the fall and winter! Philly tries hard, but they also bake the dumb things all together and then compress them so you have to rip each one apart! That's not a pretzel! It's a lump of salted dough!

That all said Ros, you'd do yourself a favor to go to Philly just for the Independence Hall experience. While not as rich in history as your Kings and Queens, it's still great American drama. Then compare street vendors. You could do it in a day very cheaply like nippulini says.....you decide who makes the best pretzel!

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've never had a pretzel. Never been to the US either!

It'll be a time of firsts that for sure... Come to think of it, never had food from a street vendor. The ones here in London all trade illegally and the food just ain't that great.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Stayed in the Newyorker (Over looks MSG)Cheap but clean and central.

When we traveled out further we always `found Best Western to be top of the list for quality and freebies.

Houdinis grave is a bugger to find (Queens) So make sure you know where your going first.

Walk around Little Odessa when you visit Coney,,,its Russian life at its best.
Busk Central Park in front of the Statue or entrance to the Zoo,,,(Huge hats !!).

Annapolis and Chessapeak Bay areas are my kind of people and the Crabcakes are fab.

Ken
Three weeks minimum stay if you really want to get the feel.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Ken, You make me want to visit and I've lived there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Trip to New York City (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL