The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Nevermind by Mat L'Anoire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I just posted a full review of Nevermind on my blog: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?cat=1

Here's what I had to say.

Nevermind is a eBook collection of five mentalism effects from Mat L’Anoire published through David Forrest’s Full 52 Productions. There are some clever routines included. Here’s a look at each one.

Stranger- This is Mat’s approach to performing the Ultra Mental or Brainwave Deck with a regular pack of cards. While this effect is included in a book of mentalism, the routine requires the use of a gimmick, a spread cull, and a double lift. While there’s nothing wrong with these techniques, some mentalists may not like the brute force approach to the plot. Others may argue that if the routine can’t be done with a straight deck, then why not just use the standard gimmicked pack. I certainly feel this way. However, if this fact doesn’t bother you, I think you will find Mat’s method to be adequate.

Coin Con- The magician introduces a small envelope which he says contains a prediction. He also introduces four different coins. The spectator selects one. The envelope is opened to reveal a duplicate coin to the spectator’s selection inside. There is no equivoque; the spectator really can choose any of the four coins. However, even though the choice is free, I would suggest using a procedure to slowly narrow their choice down to one coin. Since you are really just predicting something with a one in four chance, a little added drama is probably necessary. The method involved has been applied to playing cards in other prediction routines in the past. It seems like a logical progression to apply the technique to coins. Having said that, I’ve never actually seen it in print. The routine is easy to do and is suitable for the complete beginner. If you like pocket tricks, this is a great one to carry around.

CAANIBAL- ACAAN (Any Card At Any Number) variations are everywhere these days. Enter Mat L’Anoire with his version of the plot. Purists looking for the ultimate version of the classic effect will be disappointed with this approach. There is nothing wrong with it methodologically, but it’s certainly not the Holy Grail many are looking for. Looking at the effect on it’s own, however, I think you will find its workings to be pretty clever.

Scribble- This is my favorite effect in the collection. The spectator writes down the name of a card on the advertising card. The magician isolates the card in the center of the deck, even leaving it sticking out. Amazingly, he is able to reveal the card the spectator is thinking of. This is super clever. There are a few subtleties that really make this convincing for a lay audience. It’s easy to do, practical, and seemingly impromptu. In truth, there’s a small bit of preparation (although the author describes some alternatives), but there’s no major setup. I can see a lot of guys using this.

Isolation- This is a serial number divination effect using a special gimmick built into the card box. For this effect to be convincing, it is absolutely critical that the audience does not assume a switch. I’m not sure that condition is satisfied with Mat’s method. While the special gimmick does it’s job well, here’s how it will look to the audience. First, you show them that you cut a hole in the bottom of a card box. Pulling down the cellophane, you create an “isolation box” for the borrowed bill. You drop the folded bill inside and it falls down through the box and into the cellophone. Everything appears to be very fair, but some will feel that this is a strange procedure. Others won’t feel the need to justify the procedure and will be very happy with the method employed. You will have to decide that for yourself.

Overall, I think the eBook is a good value. It’s avaiable for only $12, so if you find even one effect that you think you’ll use, it will be worth the price. If you’re looking for some interesting close up mentalism pieces, this may be right up your alley.

Recommended.

- Available from http://www.Lybrary.com

For more reviews and information on my magic products, please visit http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Nevermind by Mat L'Anoire (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL