The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Need something to show to friends (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Is this the right section to post?
I have not performed magic for about a year or so. It's been a long time. Close-up, probably even longer as I've done mostly stage.

I want to show some buddies of mine some tricks as they know I was a magician. I got a buddy who's a hypnotist and he's showing off his stuff, now it's my turn with the magic.

The only thing I have left of my magic is Interlace. Its an awesome trick, and I will do this. But, I want some more stuff.

I'm looking for something that is not too difficult to learn. Simple things like the flash wallet is even a great thing, or the cigarette up the nose sounds awesome and easy.

Anything else you could recommend?
- Something that would not look like a magic prop, something that you can either borrow or looks like a normal item. ie. cigarettes.

*I just saw the signed card to wallet. This seems really interesting too. Combine it with the fire wallet and you got a mini routine. But, I don't know if its hard to do.
*Perform anywhere
*Not looking to spend an arm & a leg.
*Card or coins don't suit me well. (Unless if super cool & cheap & easy)

^Not trying to be picky but, from past experience, it wasn't too good.

Thanks!
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
These us sleights and there's nothing much to buy at all except for the videos:

"Florida Keys" – w/ keys. Gregory Wilson.
"Recap" – w/ pen. Gregory Wilson.
"Stirring Silver" - W/ spoon and finger ring. Jay Sankey.
"Cigarama" – w/ cigarettes. Frank Garcia. (may be hard to find.)

Some sources for Impromptu Magic can be found on my IMP pages. Link is below my signature.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
There has to be something other then DVD's. I haven't been into magic for a long time, but I know there was something I could do other then learn from DVD's.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

oktay
View Profile
New user
Netherlands/Holland
5 Posts

Profile of oktay
I’m not sure if it is what you are looking for but Tenyo has some products that may suit your needs. I believe they also have a premium line of products. How about the following items:

Shrinking Pen, Millionaires' Dream, Floating Card, Vanishing Point, 4-Dimensional Trunk, Mystic Blackboard ...

All easy to do, no DVD required, and will not cost you an arm & a leg Smile

regards,
Oktay

P.S. - I don´t have any of these items but have seen a demonstration at a convention.
when you lose (get caught with your pants down) don't lose the lesson....
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Get Misled
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'm of the opinion, an opinion shared by many others, that magic suffers from too many calling themselves "magician". Since people see so few magicians, they lump hobbyists in with pros. There are no shortcuts to good magic. It requires work. But, I prefer that hobbyists refrain from the use of the word magician, unless it has the word "amateur" in front of it. There's nothing wrong with calling oneself a "trickster", if one won't put the necessary work into it.

Manual skill isn't needed, if one's hands are arthritic or otherwise injured. There are other types of work to put into a routine - routining, writing or just being mentally agile in executing a routine. Close-up has some challenges that stage magic doesn't have, and vice-versa. What if a spectator wants to examine a prop? What if they want to see the trick, again?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
You should check out Aldo Colombini's web site. Everything on his site is $10, tricks, DVDs, books.
Most of the stuff he sells isn't too difficult, but still packs a punch.

Here's a few suggestions:
Standing Room Only DVD
Direct Hits book
Joking Around, card trick
Cardimania DVD
Roped In DVD
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Cool! Awesome!
Got some ideas.
Thanks.

Quote:
On 2010-10-27 12:13, Alan Munro wrote:
I'm of the opinion, an opinion shared by many others, that magic suffers from too many calling themselves "magician". Since people see so few magicians, they lump hobbyists in with pros. There are no shortcuts to good magic. It requires work. But, I prefer that hobbyists refrain from the use of the word magician, unless it has the word "amateur" in front of it. There's nothing wrong with calling oneself a "trickster", if one won't put the necessary work into it.

Party Pooper!
I performed magic a while ago like I said. I did it a lot. But, only on stage. I quit magic and now I want to show a some friends a few things to show that I actually did magic. Not that I AM a magician, but I was. I just don't want to totally foget about it as I spend a lot of my life around it.

While I was looking though some suggestions, I got one more trick that I remembered seeing not too long ago.

1) Person selects a card, then is lost in the deck. Magician takes flash paper and puts it on the top of the deck- lights it. The selected card has a burn hole.

2) (Similar) Person selects a card, then is lost in the deck. Magician takes flash paper and puts it on the top of the deck- lights it. The top card on the deck changes slowly into the selected card.

3) (Similar) Person selects a card, then is lost in the deck. Magician takes flash paper and a coin and puts it on the top of the deck- lights it. The coin vanishes and appears on top of the selected card.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
On the "wet blanket" side, you start off with "need" in the title but shift to "want" in the description. What is the reason for "feeling the need" to perform at all? This "dueling banjos" type of motivation leaves me cold. You should have dozens of effects "left" that were learned from books that don't need any special props, but also have the right to say "no."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 08:59, funsway wrote:
On the "wet blanket" side, you start off with "need" in the title but shift to "want" in the description. What is the reason for "feeling the need" to perform at all? This "dueling banjos" type of motivation leaves me cold. You should have dozens of effects "left" that were learned from books that don't need any special props, but also have the right to say "no."

Need/Want... whatever.
I never had any books on closeup stuff. I was a stage magician performing with big props on stage. I did not perform any close up stuff, so that's why I don't know anything. Plus, even if I did, its been nearly 2 years now since I performed, I would not remember it anyways.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
What are some of the items you've picked up so far?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
If possible, go to a magic shop. I think you'll be more productive and have a better chance of gaining a birds eye view perspective rather than on this forum, because the subjectivity is too broad for you to be of any use and any snarkiness doesn't help either.
You don't have a circle of old magician friends to call on like the Justice League?
Well, Good Luck in diving back in - sort of.
aaronharp88
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of aaronharp88
I was at the hospital just the other day my wife had a baby. I went downstairs to go to my car and I noticed a guy that has seen many of my shows. He worked me up to his family sitting with him. And they asked me to show them something. I just woke up from being in the hospital for days and was trying to think of what I could possibly do. So I reached into my pocket for money and performed some small sleight of hand. But at times people want to see things and your totally unprepared. Any suggestions?

Posted: Nov 27, 2010 7:50pm
I usually always walk around with two rubber bands to perform with but this was a time when I just wasn't expecting to perform magic.
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
I don't know Aaron, that's a moment where I'd say, "Okay, let me try to read your mind," close my eyes as if in deep thought, and see how long it took them to figure out I'd fallen asleep! Congratulations on the baby! I'm waiting for mine to get a sense of object permanence so I can do some vanishes for her! Smile
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
Do the salt trick, if you can get it right and be totally smooth with your TT then they won't forget it. I found that, people always remember the salt trick.
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
Get Bob Sheets It's The Rules. You will carry dice with you everywhere and do this all the time.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Get a TT - you can do the salt trick as stated by VE Day. You can also vanish a silk, you can pull a silk streamer out of your mouth, you can do a bill change, you can put out a cigarette in a hanky , etc., etc, That will get you going with very, very little expenditure of money. You do not need permission from anyone to perform magic (except perhaps your audience) or call yourself a magician.
Lliam
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lliam
Hey
Jay sankey has some awesome stuff! Check out his anytime anywhere dvd it's got some great impromptu stuff using a variety of items! Also if your doing magic for your friends make sure you don't make the same mistake I did and burn out all your magic on them at once. Maybe do just 3 or 4 tricks a week. Leave them wanting more. Hope this helps.
Lliam
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2010-11-01 22:51, M.Frymus wrote:

While I was looking though some suggestions, I got one more trick that I remembered seeing not too long ago.

1) Person selects a card, then is lost in the deck. Magician takes flash paper and puts it on the top of the deck- lights it. The selected card has a burn hole.

2) (Similar) Person selects a card, then is lost in the deck. Magician takes flash paper and puts it on the top of the deck- lights it. The top card on the deck changes slowly into the selected card.

3) (Similar) Person selects a card, then is lost in the deck. Magician takes flash paper and a coin and puts it on the top of the deck- lights it. The coin vanishes and appears on top of the selected card.

Wow, not too sure bout how to do 2 and 3 but doing the first one would be a breeze and what a great idea!

Thank you for sharing,

Danny

btw Mark Wilson's Complete Magic Course has loads of stuff and is pretty cheap (buy it second hand). Alternatively join the learned pig project and get the entire Tarbell course for free.....then you just need a year to read it!
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Paul Zenon also has a book called streetmagic....not difficult stuff but quite nice....although he also includes the unbelievable lame roll the dice and add the opposing sides and WOW they add up to 7 "trick" it would be unfair to write off the whole book just because he had a moment of madness and included it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Need something to show to friends (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL