The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Refreshing old silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eddie2m
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of eddie2m
I recently acquired a bunch of silks in various colors, that have a mildew scent to them. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean them?
Thanks
Eddie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22945 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would try washing them. Get some Wool-lite detergent. Wash the reds with reds, blues with blues, and so on. Put a little white vinegar in the water to help retain the dyes in the silks, and slow down the bleeding. Just let the soak and then do some dipping in and out.

Silk is very fine high grade material. If you have a wife, girlfriend or other, ask them to help. It is like washing fine silk clothing or remember when women wore nylons on their legs, they made them from silk as well. Same process in cleaning.

The dry and iron each silk, it helps to have a water spray bottle while ironing the silks.

Have fun! Just part of being a magician.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi eddie2m,

Everything wmhegbil said is right.

I would add that If there is more than one color on a silk wash it alone and try to wash in a large container so that the silk is not laying on itself. This might save you some bleeding problems. You aren't sure of the source of some of the silk and not all silk dyes are well set. A poorly set dyed silk (or even a good one) can ruin itself or others if it touches another layer of silk for long.

You can also stick the silk to a mirror or pane of glass to dry. When they are dry they will just fall off. Make sure they have a clean place to fall and remember they are very light and might not fall straight down.

Good luck.

- Mary Mowder
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Check with Bob Sanders or Richard Hughes (hugmagic) on the Café. They will probably be your best sources for information.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7451 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You guys are alright on the money with the tips given. Wash the various colors separately and you might want to soak them some to help loosen the smell in them.

In the final rinse, add a drop or two of fabric softner. It will help kill the static in the silks. Not a lot just a drop or two.

If you have a clothesline outside, I would even let them air outside some.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Refreshing old silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL