The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Magic Castle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of illusionist333
Hey Everyone,
I am looking forward to joining the Magic Castle in January as a Non-Resident Magician Member. I am just looking to chat with any of you who may be Magician Members about how you like it, etc. Thanks!
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
When I was a member I really enjoyed it. But back then I was traveling to LA 2 times a year or more. Have toyed with the idea of rejoining, but since I really have no reason to visit LA except to go to the Castle, I probably won't. It really was a fun hangout but that also was when Bill Larsen ran it and Dai was still around. I am sure it is still a great place.
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
There will be a few of us from the UK performing there in January.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2010-10-27 22:13, JimbosMagic wrote:

Ya wouldn't happen to be passing through North Carolina, now, would ya, Jimbo?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-10-27 22:13, JimbosMagic wrote:

Define "few". Is there going to be a British invasion of this years you know what? Or is it just you and Kimmo? Looking forward to seeing you guys again.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Anyone else a member there or have been one in the past that can give me more information? THANKS!

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 4:02pm
Come on guys! I know there are more of you out there who have been members of the Magic Castle. How did you like it?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I like it just fine.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Father Photius could you go into details? I mean what do you like about it? Do you find it a good value, etc.?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17197 Posts

You get the monthly news letter, access to the members only area of the castle website. You, of course don't have to pay the entry fee when you go there, and you get guest cards to had out to folks who want to go. Just being a member and never visiting really doesn't afford you much. Yet if you go, even only once a year of so, I'd say it is worth it.
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Thanks for your input. That was helpful.
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
222 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
Though I'm not a Castle member, my wife and I got to go to the Castle for the first time this past summer. (Thanks to some friends from the Café who provided passes). It was one of those "lifelong dreams." To be honest, the way I learned about the Castle, as a young magician, was on Bill Bixby's "The Magician" television show. Ever since seeing the Castle weekly on that show, I wanted to go to that special place. So, needless to say, I was thrilled to get to go, to see the closeup, parlor, and stage performances, as well as have a nice meal. It was, literally, a childhood dream come true!

Anyway, I wish the Castle was close enough to make joining worthwhile for me.
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

That is a great story. I am glad you got to go. I am joining and I live in Boston, MA. It is worth while to me because I am getting a non-resident magician membership which has all of the same perks as a resident magician, it is just a lot less expensive.
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Does Jeff McBride still frequent the Magic Castle often? Is Neil Patirck Harris on the admission comittee? Thanks!
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17197 Posts

Neil Patrick Harris is on the board. Jeff is at the castle from time to time, but he lives in Las Vegas and is much easier to find there.
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Oh ok. Thanks!
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
222 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
Illusionist333:

You live in Boston, but are joining as a non-resident member? That's great! Curious about how often you might get to go . . .
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

I plan on going a minimum of 2 times per year, if not more often. I plan on bringing friends and family members with me when I go. Are you a member mralincoln?
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
I became a member in 2004. For the first 3 months, I was there at least 3 times a week and always on Sunday for the lecture. The biggest perks I found were the library and the lectures. Of course, seeing and hanging out with various performers is/was cool, but that was basic. The stuff I didn't really know about before joining, like the incredible library with hundreds, if not more, of books, pamphlets, lecture notes, videos etc available for you to look at (while at the castle, they no longer check stuff out as far as I know) was phenomenal and the lectures on Sunday.. only for magician members... well, can you imagine watching a set from say Aldo Colombini or Earl Nelson or (fill-in-the-blank) and then watch and learn as they go through each effect and break it all down for you?

If you know you will make at least one trip a year....and during that trip, go as often as you can, you'll not be sorry.

For the 'hustle and bustle' experience of a full-night plan on either a Thursday or Saturday but definitely think about the Sunday lectures. I think they have moved those from 1:00 to something else, check the site or call but know that nobody under 21 is admitted anywhere anytime except on Sunday for the brunch. The lecture is only for magician members. You can dress casually on Sunday but we would always leave by 5:00 before the crowd starting coming in in the nice clothes. (if some great session had come about and it was closer to 6/6:30, we would leave out the 'back door' by going downstairs and leaving via that exit which bypasses the front door entirely!)

Remember that you need to wear a suit or coat and tie. Women need to wear a nice dress or pants suit (think Suzie Ormann if a gal is curious). It's hard to say one could overdress for the castle though it doesn't need to get silly where you're in tails and women are in gowns that one would see at the Oscars!

Plan on valet parking at the Castle. You pull up, hand 'em the keys and go inside. Toss them a tip and you'll be glad. If you leave there, it's one thing to know where to park and walk, if not, just park there. The parking is only the tip unless that's changed.

It's a great place. I moved to Austin in 2006 but I still think we'll end up back there sometime.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Thumbslinger thank you for all the information. Most of what you said I already knew. The valet parking is $8 bucks for non members and $3 bucks for members. I look forward to January 1st, that's when I will start my membership. thumbslinger are you STILL a magician member??? Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Magic Castle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL