The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Spirit Locks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
Hey guys/gals, just out of curiosity, what is your favorite type of Spirit lock to use and why? Does anyone here make their own?

Cheers, Mike D~C/
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Are you specifically referring to a lock that self-opens?

Some EAs may use them and mentalists or bazzarists (in other sections) use them as well.

I don't use one but do have a mechanical drawing of an old model that I'd love to make.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
726 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Ian's "Australian Tricked Padlock"...and especially the "Master #21" version - the latter being even more examinable than the regular model.

Ian's padlock can have the keyhole taped shut, yet opening it is INSTANT..without any tools. It's a good medium size lock - it's appearance is never questioned...and it does not looked "tricked" or "worked on".

Its about the best there is.

Our escape friends in the UK may still be able to get away with Deval's Squire padlocks...but those locks would be completely "foreign" & suspicious to audiences here in the States. In fact, any padlock that requires a KEY to LOCK the padlock - would be "foreign" here.

Using an ungimmicked Master "ratchet-shackle" padlock is also a neat quick-release padlock.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4426 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 16:25, Moxahalla wrote:
Ian's "Australian Tricked Padlock"...and especially the "Master #21" version - the latter being even more examinable than the regular model.

Ian's padlock can have the keyhole taped shut, yet opening it is INSTANT..without any tools. It's a good medium size lock - it's appearance is never questioned...and it does not looked "tricked" or "worked on".

Its about the best there is.

Our escape friends in the UK may still be able to get away with Deval's Squire padlocks...but those locks would be completely "foreign" & suspicious to audiences here in the States. In fact, any padlock that requires a KEY to LOCK the padlock - would be "foreign" here.

Using an ungimmicked Master "ratchet-shackle" padlock is also a neat quick-release padlock.

To be honest Mox the Squire locks that you refer to are becoming rarer over here. Yes some people still sell and buy them - but I personally think that they are becoming rarer. A majority of the locks you seen in hardware stores are the type that lock without needing the key.

But I am fairly sure if it were a Brit presenting it in the USA it would be “quaint” and we WOULD get away with it …… you would all be gooey over our amazing accent. Smile
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

I have one of the DeVal Squire trick locks....I used it for years without a problem; I even pulled off a couple of quick exams by police officers. However, I showed it around the Locksmith shop where I was working once (not telling anyone that it was one of my stage locks) and every single person in the shop discovered the secret almost instantly. This lock is not one to fool a lock guy.

I have one of Ian's Master 4 wheel combo locks (#175) and it is quite impressive but it's not a poor man's Spirit lock at a wopping $91.00 with shipping. But, for the record, this little beauty fooled several lock people when I showed it around at one of the lock shows. What is neat about this one is you can have a spectator (or several spectators, as I do) come up with a number and let them set the lock to their just thought up number. Then I have it locked on a device and I can still get out instantly. This one is great on the Ol' mail bag because the lock can be on the outside of the bag and you can still get it open from the inside.

I also have several Spirit locks that I have tricked myself (that is one benefits of being a Locksmith). With modern padlocks (standard pin tumbler locks) I trick them a few different ways and each has a different level of quality and believability. One is designed to only withstand a quick look and a good sharp tug once locked on. Another can stand up to a pretty good look over by someone who knows their way around locks. While yet another (my favorite) can withstand a real good, close-up examination by a trained professional. The lock that gets used will depend on what it is being used on, who is locking me up and examining the rig, and how the escape will be performed (full view or hidden from the audience).

There are so many avenues that can be explored in this area, I don't have time to go into them all right now but maybe I can go a little deeper when time permits. Bottom line? Spirit locks can be a great tool in the EA's arsenal.....IF he/she can use them well. Great topic so far.....I'm glad I brought it up! LOL!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
726 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Michael:

btw: I'm guessing that DeVal's 2nd version of his Squire spirit-padlock - would probably fool your locksmith friends.

I forget the name - if it wasn't called the "Dupe", then I think it was called the "Master"? (Im not home to check my notes).
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

I know the one you are talking about; I don't have DeVal's version but I have one made the exact same way. You would think this one would fool lock guys but if they are very familiar with lever padlocks, they wouldn't be fooled. When you lock this one, something doesn't "feel" right and it raises red flags.....plus, the key itself is a dead giveaway. It is a neat type of Spirit lock, but it is also kind of unpredictable.....I wouldn't use it on stage with any old spectator locking it up.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Hey everyone, I was going through my massive collection of spirit locks yesterday (I was going to photograph some of them for the sake of our conversation here) and found a bunch of my good inspectable padlocks that I didn't even remember having! How cool! I did a little Youtube video about them (no secrets revealed, just showing one lock and unlock, and opening it by the trick means slightly off camera). Here is a link for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xin0wduMnbo

Because I have a surplus of this type lock, I am going to sell off 6 of them. You will find photos and details on the "Escape Items For Sale" page. I am not allowed to post links to the page so you will have to find it yourself. Sorry, I don't make the rules here.....if I did it would be total chaos! LOL!

This is only one type of spirit lock that I use/have used over the years. I didn't realize how many different types I have out in my shop till I started going through them......I am a little overwhelmed! I would love to continue this thread when I have more time.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
So, how often do lock guys restrain you?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

More often than I would like. Lock guys are not limited to Locksmiths.....correction officers tend to do maintenance on locks in the jails and prisons and know more about locks than they are given credit for. Remember, it only takes one knowledgeable person to bust you. =)

Thanks for your input Harley.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
941 Posts

Profile of Riley
David DeVal's "Master" and "Dupe" padlocks were both made from the same type of padlock (Squire Old English), but with an entirely different method of working. There was no work to the keys for either of these locks, and both types felt "normal" when locked with the key.

The "Master" padlock had a visual discrepancy (admitted by David) that could be spotted by anyone familiar with padlocks. For this reason I never used it myself. The "Dupe" style was much preferred by him (and by me) for professional work (and was never "busted") - but David admitted the "Master" was the better seller. A more interesting toy. Smile

I made both types of lock for David when he was ill. For my own use, I made "Dupe" padlocks in the larger No. 770 size, and talked to David about this. He told me he had considered making "Dupes" in this size, but didn't think they would sell.

On visits to David's home, he amazed me time and time again with escapes from cuffs and padlocks I had inspected and checked. I learned that it is around 90% audience management, and 10% lock.

It's not the tools, but how they're used.

Riley
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

I think David's Dupe lock is made different from mine (with the same method of operation). All the spirit locks I have encountered seem to have advantages and drawbacks.....that is the nature of the beast.

Riley was correct when he said, "It's not the tools, but how they're used." However, it doesn't hurt to have a nice set of tools either. Smile

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
941 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 23:29, The Amazing Michael wrote:
Riley was correct when he said, "It's not the tools, but how they're used." However, it doesn't hurt to have a nice set of tools either. Smile

I completely agree.

It's not too well known that David made a limited number of Dupe padlocks with an integral chain, which led from the left side of the casing, and the other end link was held by the padlock hasp. The end link held by the side casing did the "business". It was a nice idea, and in fact the Squire catalogue at the time listed just such a padlock. But...it looked unusual and therefore "suspicious" for escape work, so only a few were made. The same applied to the "neck collar" which worked on his "Master padlock" principle...it looked like a prop made especially for the escape artist (which it was). Only a few were made.

I live near the River Thames and notice the brass Squire padlock is still very popular with boat owners. So it's really a case of "When in Rome, do as the Romans do..."(and use a Roman lock, lol).

Riley
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Sad to say that the brass Squire padlock is unavailable now. I tried a few weeks ago to get one for a customer, and my main wholesalers no longer carry it. Not sure if Squires themselves have stopped production, but I'll try to find out.

You may be interested in this....

David Deval wanted to buy Squires padlocks in an unrivetted state, so he could do his "thing" to them and rivet them to look like the originals.

He visited Squire Locks, and in a meeting with the top guys there, he said "I can open any of your locks!" So they sent one of the guys into the factory and he came up with a boxful of different padlocks. David managed to get them to select the one HE wanted (after all, he was a magician!!)

This was a small brass padlock, No 330. David secretly switched this new lock with one of his Master padlocks, got them to lock it with the key, turned his back and gave them the lock open! He then switched it for their own lock and gave it back to them.

After this episode, he was in favour with Squires Locks, and he could have as many unrivetted locks as he wanted! I was able also to get these locks, when I mentioned David's name. Unfortunately these locks are now built in the Far East, and are no longer avaialble in unrivetted versions.

Ironically, the official name for this style of padlock is "Olde English" yet they are now made miles away from England!!!
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Mick, there are two companies that make similar locks.....US General (available from Harbor Freight) and Master Lock. I have a bunch of the master locks and a couple of the US Generals. The Masters are really well made; possibly better than the originals (made of chrome plated steel instead of brass) and excellent inner workings. Here is a photo of the US General and the Master with a DeVal Squire:

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325......re-1.jpg

I recently used one of the Master Locks to create a really cool combination lock:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/......03-2.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/......04-2.jpg

It is a neat lock (one of a kind) and it is fully functional. I would like to make some more up when I get time. I also like to make cut-away locks out of these....here is a US General I did up as a cut-away:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/......40-1.jpg

There is a lot of stuff you can do with these locks if you have a little imagination and a lot of time. =)

Thanks for sharing Mick.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Mike,

Love the look of the combo lock. Even though it's one of a kind it just seems to look right.

Have you given this one the spirit treatment?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Ros, the combo lock is just a regular working padlock. It was tough enough to make it look cool and functional at the same time without tricking it to open like a spirit lock. My youngest son freaked out when I showed him the concept of this idea....he thought it was cool too. When I finished it and he got to dial it open, he was blown away. He got to see all the problems I faced as I encountered them and thought it would never work; boy was he wrong! I think I have an easier way to make this style of lock work that I plan to use on the next go around. And who knows, maybe I will try to incorporate a spirit lock design in one of them at a later date.....if I do, you guys will be the first ones to know about it. =)

Cheers, Mike D~C/
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Here is a nice spirit lock:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/......03-2.jpg

It is a heavy duty Slaymaker padlock with the Hurd lock cylinder. It is a very nice lock on it's own but even nicer given the fact that it is gimmicked. I just put that one up for sale on the "Escape Items For Sale or Trade" section. You can see a few more pictures of it over there. I found that one mixed in with my normal locks last week and forgot that I even had it (kind of like finding $20.00 in an old jacket pocket)! LOL! As I find other hidden artifacts in my shop that I don't need/use anymore, I will post them here first before I resort to eBay.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3684 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Is anyone aware of a remote controlled self opening lock?
KJ
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
726 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Is anyone aware of a remote controlled self opening lock?
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes---"Master Lock" had manufactured a "laser-light" remote-control padlock---geared for students & their school lockers.

The padlock was large, but made of a hard plastic (not metal).

One dealer even used them as the mechanism for their version of the "Germain Spirit Lock"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Spirit Locks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL