The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What can I make with this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Somebody gave me a sheet of 4' x 8' bullet proof glass. It's about 3 inches thick but as transparent as regular glass. I'm sure there's an illusion in this, I just can't think of one. Any ideas?
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Shoot a bullet at yourself eh? duh! j/k....lol..

Why not try shattering it with steel or something or use it to shield a dangerous element from yourself in a routine..arrows, knifes.etc..without revealing the glass' true nature or capabilities..

You could do so much with this based upon it's rather large dimensions....how much it weighs will play a large factor in deterimining where you will use it as well...

Let's play with this one folks...help him out!~rr
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
This is just my first thought:

Although I'm not sure it would matter to the audience that it is bullet proof or not, it seems as though the idea of a penetration would lend itself well to the fact that it is bullet proof. Possibly like "Alice Through The Looking Glass", etc.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The glass is brought out and a committee of audience members touches it, examines it, etc. The glass is placed up on top of regular wooden sawhorses. The Wizard is handcuffed, then a long rope is tied to the handcuffs. The Wizard stands on top of the bulletproof glass. A curtain is drawn around the glass, but the spectators are still holding onto the ends of the ropes attached to the handcuffs. The Wizard begins to slowly sink down behind the curtain. Suddenly, he disappears from sight and the curtain is whipped away to reveal the rope and handcuffs lying on top of the glass, while the Wizard sits beneath it.

Walking through a wall horzontally instead of vertically. Just a thought.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Spellbinder:

I like that idea and very creative thinking on your part. I two was thinking that this lends itself more towards a penetration type of an effect. Passing through an impossible solid object.

I also like the idea of the Alice through the looking glass. Perhaps if you went in this direction, you could not only pass through it, but you could possibly use the idea that objects that are passed through it change in some way or change their state.

This actually could lend itself nicely to an entire illusion theme. Perhaps the idea is that this glass is a link between the real world and the imaginary world. An object placed into it and through it changes itself.

Then perhaps the magician demonstrates this by incasing this glass into a small container that makes the glass rest vertically. The glass can be taken out for examination.

The glass is then placed back into this holder. It is then talked about the properties of this glass. That like most glass you can see right through it and also, like a person's imagination, some people think it is the same all the way through. A magician learns that imagination can create all new worlds and transform what looks to be the ordinary into the extraordinary.

He then turns a light on behind the glass so that the light can be seen shining through it. In front of the glass is a curtain that is drawn tight and is white. Anything placed in front of the light passes through the glass and can be seen as a shadow on the curtain.

The magician starts by placing a cardboard cutout of a vase of flowers behind the glass. The curtains are closed and a shadow can be seen. The magician undoes the curtain to reveal that not only has the cardboard passed right through the glass, but it has changed itself into a real vase and flowers.

He does this with another object and finally decides that if his imagination is strong enough, perhaps he too can create the impossible.

With this, the magician puts on a cloke and steps behind the glass, the curtain is drawn and you see his hand go down behind the curtain, the light shines through the glass and you can see his shadow on the front curtain. The curtain is drawn open again and you see the figure in a cloke crouching down in exhaustion.

The figure finally comes up and the light shines on his face only to reveal that it is not him at all but his assistant. He can be seen sitting in the chair in the back of the theater.

This is just a general quick idea off the top of my head. It certainly needs to be redefined and thought out more, but you can really see the use of several ideas and themes going on here.

Let me know what anyone thinks and please add in your two cents worth as well. This initial post can generate some great creative thinking. Lets see where we can go with this.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Excellent ideas. One thought I had was as an outdoor walk on water illusion. Place it just beneath the surface of a small pond or wading pool it should become completely undetectable. May be used as a magical stage for small performances. Magician in complete control of the elements performs atop the water. Just a thought, keep the ideas coming, thanks for the help.
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
I really like spellbinders idea of sinking through the glass on saw horses, however I would take this one step further. I would have a hole driled in the center of the sheet of glass. spectators would hold the ends of the rope as mentioned above and the effect would play out exactly as above except tension on the rope woud not be lost and you would still be handcuffed under the platform, with the rope now running directly through the hole. Sort of a variation of Steinmeyers through a one inch hole.
Good luck.

Ronald R. Romiski
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks for the kind words. I also like the variation on the concept that Ronald provided. Are there any other ideas out there? Put those thinking caps on.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What can I make with this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL