The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Martial Artists? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-11-04 17:18, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I did not think I would have to answer this again. And here in the Magic Café!

Critter... You miss my point. (And this is an old argument btw...)

I said start from there. Don't stop there.

Of course cross train, even the Gracies cross train.

The knife (edged weapons) and group attack argument trumps ALL Martial Arts, regardless. I don't care what Martial Art(s) you train in.

If you don't believe me, get anyone skilled in knifework (Kali, Silat, Fencing etc) to attack anyone else who is unarmed, with a big red marker pen. See what happens.

Group attack? Take two or three grapplers, doesn't even have to be BJJers, any MMA oriented grapplers to attack you at the same time. See how you fare.

If your argument is that the skills of criminals in the "streets" are not that high than I say the Gracie would do just as well as (or as bad as) anyone.

To point it out again, they still do very well one on one. That is huge for average sized guys that they are. The odds are being evened out nowadays as they have taught their stuff to everyone, now people are just as good as they are. How much they still owe people are their business really, no idea what has happened in that regard.

I still say that if you know no Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at all, just pure wrestling or pure striking, they will still beat you. Judokas might be the only exception as GJJ came from there, just evolving into bare knuckles fighting.

Look at it this way.

If you can't even beat one guy one on one consistently, then you can beat two guys how?

If you can't beat one guy unarmed consistently, then you can beat a guy who is armed how?

The Gracie Techniques are not overrated, they are still the skills that let a smaller person survive against a bigger person unlike the other more strength based Arts. I know, I've experienced and seen it personally.

My original point was more to do with teaching yourself the "indomitable" spirit they embody. They will fight anyone and fare well most of the time. Regardless of size at that. The now cliched "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that matters..." philosophy.

Attacking the leg then running away? That is common in all Martial Arts, almost all the Martial Arts I've studied have taught that technique, even the Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

But if you don't agree, that's fine.

I wasn't down on your suggestion. As I said, I've incorperated BJJ techniques into my own arsenal. You and I have discussed MA before and I respect your knowledge.

I just caution anyone who looks at BJJ not to get too wrapped up in the 'Gracie Hype' and start thinking they are invincible.
Like you said, it's a very good tool, but just as a jumping off point.
I'm not saying Gracie BJJ is useless either, just that I think it is overrated because so many people think BJJ alone is invincible. Since you aren't saying do only BJJ then you and I are not in a disagreement here.

As for other MA's against a knife... depends on the knife fighter. For grappling I'm talking about an average thug with a blade. Minimal to no skill. Tied up, even that guy can stick you. But if you are trained in Thai boxing, well then you can bust his legs and be out the door.
One on one, we've used all sorts of things to practice disarms against knife. Sharpies, rolled up newspaper with paint on it, rubber knives.
Since you're talking a kali expert, well that goes without saying. That guy has dedicated his life to learning every possible way to make you bleed with that piece of steel and he's gonna do it.
If a kali master wants to stab you, I say shoot him before he gets close enough.

Speaking of knives, this is the primary one I always carry:

"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yup, seems we are in agreement. Sorry if I came off rude, looking back at that post of mine.

Nice knife. Cold Steel is always a good choice brand, very reliable.

I used to carry, not anymore. At least that's what I tell people. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I like everything cold steel makes, but I can't afford most of it.

I've been very interested in their Saber DVDs as well, but never got around to buying it.

speaking of knives and being attacked with such, have you guys seen these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOP3X9Oy......&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLRmtTbNW......&list=UL

I don't agree with all of the points of conclusions made in the video, but it's good to have a whole bunch of real knife attacks on tape back-to-back to get an idea of what you might have to deal with some day.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
In regards to using my martial arts for magic, I pretty much don't. I do a move I my rings routine that is a mix between kabuki and taijutsu.

Also I was doing a kids show last week with a friend and he had a wooden samurai sword, I had the idea of doing a few quick iaijutsu techniques from the other side of the room, either of him or a volunteer and then doing rope the body or neck. This I think would also be fun for some FMA patterns, or the classic story of capoeirista with the razor blade (opponent: "ha! you missed" capoerista: "wait until you shake you head!").

Similarly, since taijutsu incorporates ninjutsu, I had a couple ideas one time for a ninja themed escape act. Never went anywhere though.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I don't know if it's something anyone here would be interested (if I even ever get around to getting it together) but I've had the idea for a long time now to put together either a 30 or 60 day hypnotic mental training program for martial artists. It wouldn't actually teach anything, so it would only be for martial artists or at least people who have done a good self defense course, but the idea would be for it to help with staying calm, effectively dealing with fear and adrenaline while staying relaxed, developing perseverance and mental endurance and on helping to make your physical techniques more ingrained in your muscle memory (synaptic memory).

This would mostly be for me and my fellow dojo mates, not really for sale; but if this sounds interesting, and again if I really end up putting it together, let me know and I'll send you guys a copy.

RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
When I was about 8 the original Kung Fu television show got me wanting to take Karate lessons. My parents signed me up and I kept at it till I was sidelined by an injury due to a sparing match. I was almost ready to advance to green belt when I was injured. I was ten at the time. I don't remember what style I was learning the windows of the Dojo said Kung Fu but that was to attract attention. It was a soft style. But My instructor shared the dojo with his partner who taught Shodakan? No sure of the spelling at the moment.

I sometimes wish I had stayed involved with Karate as this was during the time in the 70's that not many children were becoming black belts I would surely had mine by the time I was twelve or thirteen had I not been out of it for a month and lost interest in it during that time.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-11-04 23:06, seadog93 wrote:
I don't know if it's something anyone here would be interested (if I even ever get around to getting it together) but I've had the idea for a long time now to put together either a 30 or 60 day hypnotic mental training program for martial artists. It wouldn't actually teach anything, so it would only be for martial artists or at least people who have done a good self defense course, but the idea would be for it to help with staying calm, effectively dealing with fear and adrenaline while staying relaxed, developing perseverance and mental endurance and on helping to make your physical techniques more ingrained in your muscle memory (synaptic memory).

This would mostly be for me and my fellow dojo mates, not really for sale; but if this sounds interesting, and again if I really end up putting it together, let me know and I'll send you guys a copy.

Interesting you bring this up because Michael Hollenback (now MacOmber) is a licensed hypnotherapist as well. He's incorperated a lot of the more esoteric ninpo stuff into his philopsophy and work.
I'll see if he'll let me PM you his email addy since I think you two could have some decent conversations.
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Oh thanks, that would be great.
I've and the idea for a long, and done a bit with it; but I'm having some moderately bad bronchitis/asthma issues so I can't do much training at all ...so I figure it might be an opportunity to work out mentally.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Most hand to hand combat (no weapons) will almost always end in grappling, that is, if they don't jump to one guy kicking and beating on another guy who is curled up on the round.

As for the Gracie stuff, yeah, there's a reason the Gracies limited Judokas in their original UFCs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pwMnKNNuDM

As for multiple attackers, and knives, I think Aikdo holds its own, at least if one has mastered it. Prior to that, at least in my experiences and observations, it can be a bit harder to implement in real life than other martial arts like Judo.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
When I was in Korea 40 years ago I got to observe a demonstation of various styles by "the best." The most interesting was an old man who "fought" three experts at once. He never threw a punch or kick -- but none of them ever touched him! Instead they ran into each other and just got tired. I began to understand what Chi is. I also saw a man drive silver dollars into a board from about 40 ft away with a flick of his wrist. How do you defend against that?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-11-05 15:34, funsway wrote:
When I was in Korea 40 years ago I got to observe a demonstation of various styles by "the best." The most interesting was an old man who "fought" three experts at once. He never threw a punch or kick -- but none of them ever touched him! Instead they ran into each other and just got tired. I began to understand what Chi is. I also saw a man drive silver dollars into a board from about 40 ft away with a flick of his wrist. How do you defend against that?

Giant Acme magnets. Everyone knows they throw off people's chi.

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:

Luckily most people who are that good don't start fights with people for no reason. So just make sure to try and be nice Smile

In my school we differentiate between a fight and self defense. We never (officially) endorse a fight, which is to or more people agreeing to engage each other. If, like me, you watch any altercations on youtube you will see almost exclusively "fights." Where both individuals are woofing and escalating the situation and eventually fight. Similar to sport matches. There is often even a group of people standing around and imposing whatever rules are culturally appropriate (often they will step in and stand people who have gone to the ground for example; that's in the USA, they wouldn't do that in Brazil). In just about every single one of these situations either one of the people could have de-escalated the situation or just walked away, but that would require a certain maturity and self confidence that most lack.

It is absolutely possible to get into a fight with masters. I've met several who would not back down if challenged, but I suspect that almost all would let you walk away even if you had already put your foot in your mouth. More importantly, if you are familiar with deescalation techniques, and with just being nice, you shouldn't have to ever face someone like that.

...On the other hand I could be wrong, so I'll keep training just in case. Smile

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Funsway,

have you ever heard of systema? They do a lot of (very HARD) punching and kicking, but they are also amazing at movement and redirecting incoming strikes, even ones that have already hit them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHd5mc6ZR8A
It's hard to find a good clip when you want to just illustrate one point, but this is an interesting demo. It's slow, but I've seen systema move the same way against full speed attacks and there great and hitting person number 2 with the punch or kick that person number 1 is launching it them. It's even more impressive with knives.

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-11-05 15:17, gdw wrote:
As for the Gracie stuff, yeah, there's a reason the Gracies limited Judokas in their original UFCs.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. It's not an early UFC fight though. It's a later fight in the PRIDE organization, where in if you gave up a certain amount of weight to an opponent you were allowed to decide certain rules in regards to striking on the ground. In the early UFC there were only two rules, no biting and no eye gouging, leading to some very bloody fights that almost got them banned. No they even have rules against small joint manipulation, so even if you had some who was really good at wrist locks (for example) they wouldn't be allowed to use them.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
The most interesting was an old man who "fought" three experts at once. He never threw a punch or kick -- but none of them ever touched him! Instead they ran into each other and just got tired.

Reminds me of Morehei Ueshiba. There are tales of him, in his 80's! allowing professional football players to dogpile him, and then easily tossing them off. Now there's a dude who knows how to work from guard!
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-11-05 18:24, seadog93 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-05 15:17, gdw wrote:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. It's not an early UFC fight though. It's a later fight in the PRIDE organization, where in if you gave up a certain amount of weight to an opponent you were allowed to decide certain rules in regards to striking on the ground. In the early UFC there were only two rules, no biting and no eye gouging, leading to some very bloody fights that almost got them banned. No they even have rules against small joint manipulation, so even if you had some who was really good at wrist locks (for example) they wouldn't be allowed to use them.

I knew it was not a UFC fight. I was saying that fight was largely to blame for why the Gracies limited Judokas when they did the UFC. They 9Gracies) knew they (Judokas) were the ones who had the potential to hand them (Gracies) their asses.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have no clue what y'all are posting about....
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Judo is a vastly underrated martial art. Sensei Chinen had this tiny 19 year old girl in his class who had a Judo brown belt before she came to the class. She tossed around the big jocks.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 10:40, critter wrote:
Judo is a vastly underrated martial art. Sensei Chinen had this tiny 19 year old girl in his class who had a Judo brown belt before she came to the class. She tossed around the big jocks.

I agree wholeheartedly. Judo is highly underrated.

So is Aikido imho...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 10:40, critter wrote:

Yup. It also is one of the few that, generally, doesn't hand out black belts like candy.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Martial Artists? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL