The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Review needed...makemoneyaftershows.com (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Hi all,

Does anyone here have any experience with http://www.makemoneyaftershows.com? They sell instant author books, dvds, and magic kits.

Thanks,

Bob Phillips
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It's strange that there is no name on the site.

However, the Instant Author DVD that is for sale looks like the one that Michael Bourada (from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) was selling.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Thanks Donald...I did a google of Michael Bourada, and that is whose picture is on the cover of their example.

Bob
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's a Magic Café thread, where Michael mentions his DVD with a link. Different url, but goes to the same site. So, it must be him. His Café membername is Rada.

I also have to comment that the photos in the instant author book look like the ones from Mr. Greggy's Instant Author product. But I could be wrong as to their origins.

- Donald
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Which BOR package do you guys recommend is the best to purchase?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Dynamike -

Check out that other thread I linked to. I shared my opinion there (several posts).

- Donald
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks. Good look'n out, Donald.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Has anyone ever used this that would like to give us a review?

Thanks,

Bob
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I've never tried this particular website, but the quality looks terrible to me.

I wouldn't want my name on this! Did you see the demo video?

I'd avoid this website unless you're happy putting your name on what you see there.

My thoughts!

Kevin

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 3:12am
I've never tried this particular website, but the quality looks terrible to me.

I wouldn't want my name on this! Did you see the demo video?

I'd avoid this website unless you're happy putting your name on what you see there.

My thoughts!

Kevin

P.S. - The website is one of those squeeze page, too good to be true, "Special, Unbelievable" sales sites, infamous for under-delivering! Too much hype, and this one actually has a demo video that proves it. Save your money, invest in something you'll be proud of.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I haven't tried it (yet), but it seem like if you have a digital camcorder you could make a DVD pretty easily and it would obviously be you doing it.

A book would be a lot more work (I have an outline from months ago, but I just can't bring myself to type that much); but a DVD would be like a performance or magic class. It would be good but simple stuff that you can already do so you would just set up a clean space, plan what goes where and do it. You could re-film some parts for other angles and pop it in your mac and edit it and put titles and credits where appropriate. Then you just get a bunch printed up for you at kunaki.com for like $1!

The advantage would be that it's you on the film and your the one that they liked enough to buy your tape; you get to put your own personality into it and you could even have some personal promotion and positioning mixed throughout. Subtly of course.

What do you guys think? There's probably something I didn't think of.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Hi Donald and others,

Yes, this is my site.

I will comment on a few things. First, the DVD. The DVD is actually pretty decent quality, I say decent because its not in HD (or 3D haha!); keep in mind that the video sample you see is an uploaded, lower stream of the actual video footage, so therefore there are a few things different from the final DVD copy that you receive.

The DVD is a great tool to sell after shows, I sell them for $10 after my shows and they go like hot cakes. After kids see your show, they are inclined to want to learn some simple magic tricks and this gives them that all while you're making a few extra bucks. For the price of $95, think of all the work that is taken out...the filming, editing, voice over, design and rendering of the menu and much more; You get a master copy that you can copy over and over again. Funny thing is that I only have one burner, so what I generally do for my shows is sit down for an afternoon and copy anywhere from 75-150 of these at a time. If I need a huge order, then I will call a DVD duplication company. There is more you receive, but that's listed on the website...

As for the book - again - its a good quality product you're getting and if you calculate the time you save by buying it vs. the time I spent while creating it, its well worth it. You get your information customized to it as well. Duplicating is easy, it can be taken to Staples or any copy place and away you go... More information on the website.

Anyways, BOR isn't for everyone, and everyone will have and is entitled to there own opinion, which I respect. I can't sit here and say that EVERYONE who is ever bought my DVD has unbelievable things to say about it, because you always run into 1 or 2 people who just can't be pleased but I will say high percentage of people who have bought it, put it to good use and enjoy the final product. In the end, you could always make your own, but for the price I offer, the quality you receive, its tough to beat. Also, when you compare it to the other products out there and what they cost, again - its tought to beat.

Just my two cents! Good luck.
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
Hello to all magicians of quality and others!

None of the images that I saw on Rada's site were from my book. He's right, it's cheaper and easier in the long run to purchase an instant author kit, but make sure it's professional looking. Also consider how you're going to get it printed. If you do a web search for "online color printing" there are tons of results. Of course, make sure to contact Sammy Smith (www.spsbooks.com) for printing.

If you'd like more info about my "Learn Magic" kit, the link is in my signature below.

Rada, as a fellow web designer I strongly suggest you make the text on your web site left justify. When it's all centered it's difficult to read and most people won't bother. I didn't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Review needed...makemoneyaftershows.com (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL