The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Steinmeyer’s new Thurston biography (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-01-29 15:38, cairo wrote:
Like all Steinmeyer books it looks like it's worth a read. Disturbed to hear Silverman felt the book was marred in the way he suggests at the end of the review. Still, I like Steinmeyer and want to know more about Thurston.

Silverman should not cast the first stone. His review, itself, is somewhat sloppy. For example, he should have given Palladino's first name as well as her last name, because nearly every account of the rivalry between Houdini and Eusapia Palladino does just that.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Touche.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Oh yeah, that's critical. Leaving Eusapia out. Not. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Oh, crud, I hope Eusapia doesn't see this latest snub that Ken Silverman has thrown at her.
And if she has, I hope with all my heart she finds this thread and sees Bill Palmer's astute criticism of Dr. Silverman's review. At least then she will see that someone remembers--someone cares.
I have a dozen books in which that sweet, plump, little Italian woman is referred to again and again as "Palladino" and I'll bet every one prompted her to say, "Call-a me, Eusapia, alla my friendsa do."
http://www.houdinisghost.com/
If anybody objects to my written version of a vaudeville Italian dialect, they should take it up with Silverman and Palmer. They started this!
http://www.houdinisghost.com/
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
New review (of a sort). I have to say, Silverman took Steinmeyer out of context in his review.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2011/02/......tle.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I like Jim's other books, but what drives Jim to critize Houdini so much? Even in Hiding the Elephant I got the feeling he didn't really care for Houdini. Is it that Houdini fit more into escapology?

Exactly what makes one the greatest? The most popular, the one whose name is recognized longer, the one who came up with the most clever trick/illusion or just plain old ticket sales?
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
You know, I'm as hardcore a "Houdini guy" as they come, but I had no problem with this book. I didn't think Jim criticized Houdini unfairly. His observations are pretty astute actually, and not all negative. He just tends to tell insider stories from a non-Houdini perspective, so Houdini isn't necessarily on the pedestal we are used to seeing him on. Doesn't hurt Houdini, IMO.

As to what makes one the "greatest"? Heck, I don't know. Was Thurston the greatest? Maybe. Maybe not. But this is the book that makes that case. And it's a case worth making by a guy who knows his magic history.
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Steinmeyer’s new Thurston biography (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL