The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Cabaret impromptu performance. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
186 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
So you need to do a 20/30 minute spot with 30 minutes notice.
You have a wireless mike and are to perform for 150/200 people.
You have none of your usual stuff apart from those things that are always available in the world around you.
You are working in the upstairs room of a city restaurant for a private party.
Could you do it?
What would you perform?
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9063 Posts

Profile of funsway
Are there other performers, speakers or entertainment. What is the reason for the party? Are there "people of note" in the crowd? Is there a stage or are you on the same level? What is the distance to the nearest guest?

I and others may be able to help, but ...

Also, do you HAVE to perform. What's the "hidden agenda" here?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Torn/Restored paper napkins. Borrowed money vanished and found in a bread roll. Teacups and Balls. Paper Balls over the head. Production of my shoes on a table, ala Jay Marshall's "Table Crap".

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 1:46am
Pat Page's 10 second newspaper tear.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
186 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Hi Funsway, you ask what's the agenda?

None really other than the fact that its come to my notice in a new restaurant I'm working that there is a third floor room they let out privately to functions; and I've been asked if I would be prepared to do a cabaret spot if it became appropriate and at short notice- in essence I'd be taken off doing tables downstairs and let loose somewhere else. I'm quite happy about this and its not a problem. I have a couple of good shows I'm happy with- although I don't want to cart all that stuff with me for a night of close-up round tables. So, I got to wondering if I could do a show without my usual set up or props. In fact a pack of cards in truth is all I need to do some nice stuff. But say I didn't have that even.
My fall back situation is- so long as I have access to chairs, a dressed audience, some paper/card and a sharpie pen I have a show. I have patter, humorous banter and some good sight gags and a couple of strong effects. Yes, I could do it.

I was just wondering what fellow magi thought, and whether a discussion might prompt some fresh ideas.
I want good visual entertainment for my audience with clever effects and lots of fun.
No Hypnotism though, its good but not what's needed here.

This clarifies where I'm coming from.

What we got ? Pete's suggestions are good. They have the right kind of economy and in the hands of a skilled performer could be great material.
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9063 Posts

Profile of funsway
I'd stick to rope and silk effects. Lots of visibility, audience paricipation and it would fit in a drawer or your coat pockets. A nespaper tear, as suggested, would be great too and look impromtu. for me, cards and cups are too small for 200 people.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Salvage your shoelaces! rope magic!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Having a few props stored in a bag would be a smart idea and take away any stress.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
186 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
The newspaper tear sounds interesting. Especially Petes suggestion of Pat Pages '10 second tear'. I've never done one yet, although I have had the Gene Anderson book in readiness for over 10 years. I wonder where I might find Pat's method, Pete can you send me a link maybe?
I agree that cards are difficult on stage and telegraphing an effect over such a large area can be anti-climatic. However there are a few mentalist card based things that go over, and in terms of the purely visual '10 cards to Pocket' done well seems to work for me. Rope routines are good too I agree, I sometimes use a routine to introduce the rope, moving into ring n rope, rope thru neck and finally thru the body,[but not a lame version, members of the audience need to hold the ends at all times].
My new impromptu set using no magician props at all will, I think, consist of some friendly and amusing banter to introduce myself and my performing personality, some bizarre and wacky sight gags using members of the audience, followed by a couple of well rehearsed and tested routines. A mind reading effect perhaps and a chair routine comes to mind.
If the effects and routines are good, that's great- in addition I've provided large spectacle by using big props ie. people and chairs, all in abundant supply. I like to get into the audience and move around too. Hopefully leaving the impression that I've beautifully and meaningfully interfered with their space.

Any other ideas or observations that might get me thinking more?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Since you are in the U.K., you could contact Davenport's or any other magic shop and ask for Pat Page's 10 second paper tear. It is very easy to do and takes no time to set. There is an alternate version that ONLY ads using glue put out by Alan Shaxon.

Perhaps someone at the Magic Circle can help you find it.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 11:43pm
http://www.lybrary.com/book-magic-p-54258.html

Here's a link to download the book with the paper tear.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
186 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Thanks Pete, I'll look into that. I've also tracked down a copy of the Shaxon version with the glue variation, winging its way to me from Scotland as I write.
It's surprising how hard these older versions are to find, unless you have magical buddies with great libraries and years worth of experience. I'm hoping I can backtrack the Shaxon version to see what I need to miss out in order to get back to Pat's method. If I can't I'll download the book you mention.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
As I recall Pat's is same as Shaxon's without the glue. Shaxon's is safer.
Andrew Mayne sells one with no prep. You can see a newspaper (tabloid size is best) LAYING around, pick up some of the pages and tear/restore. Even have it signed (a waste of time).
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-11-05 16:52, Count Zapik wrote:
So you need to do a 20/30 minute spot with 30 minutes notice.
You have a wireless mike and are to perform for 150/200 people.
You have none of your usual stuff apart from those things that are always available in the world around you.
You are working in the upstairs room of a city restaurant for a private party.
Could you do it?
What would you perform?

Torn and restored napkin
cards across
A city restaurant would have:
silverware for spoon bending
napkins: 20th century silk, Slydini silk routine
flip stick move with silverware
Dancing broom handle
card on ceiling
misers dream with any stock pot
--off the top of my head
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
186 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Ah yes spoon-bending. I hadn't thought of that. I have done it for smaller groups in the past. Excellent prod to my thinking in 'magicians' previous post. That can be made to work well over a large distance despite it being such a small prop effect. Thanks a million magicians.

I'm trying to imagine I'm not using cards so 'card on ceiling' is out.

Dancing cane is a great effect [and I've done it in theatres, absolutely nowhere near as well as Pavel] -are you suggesting it can be done with any broom handle at a moments notice?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Use the strong loop on a pull method to hold it against open hand, etc.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
186 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
What about sight gags that delight an audience?
There are some good ones around that require preparation. ie yellow bandana's et al.
What about genuinely impromptu effects for a cabaret performance at a restaurant though?
I've listed a few ideas below to start the ball rolling.

-Wearing clothes back the front or inside out.
-Growing necktie.
-Spectators tie has a loose thread that the performer insists on pulling causing the tie to appear to unravel.
-A little cotton thread on performers clothing that just gets longer and longer when pulled.
-Stick forks in two dinner rolls so that they look like legs and feet. Make them do a little 'Chaplin-esque' dance.
-Tripping up on stage over an invisible obstacle repeatedly.
-Walk around seemingly oblivious of a £20 note stuck to one foot, until the audience begins to notice and strain to see the thing for themselves as you continue to get on with your act; beseech them to concentrate and stop making a noise and messing about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Cabaret impromptu performance. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL