We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » A different kind of vent figure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
A while back I built a mechanical acrobat that performs on a trapeze. He is about the size of a standard vent figure. Recently I heard of a walking figure and that got me thinking. I wondered how my acrobat, if he had the capability of moving his mouth as if speaking would be received. As of now he can interact by nodding and turning his head from side to side. I think it would be a new concept, but I wonder if it would be worth the trouble. I have a video of the acrobat performing on Youtube. The video is poorly edited by me trying to shorten his routine. I cut his performance on the video to about 2 minutes when the normal routine is about 4 minutes. One of the parts I left out, which I now wish I would have left in is where the figure jumps off the trapeze and I catch him. Please have a look at the video and let me know if you think it would be a novel idea. Here is his link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44UBXBlGmik
Thank you!!
veegates
Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
Veegates,

I saw some footage on you tube of a vent who was able to leave his figure on stage and it would keep on talking. However, I did notice that the mouth wasn't always in sync with his speech (from the vent offstage).

I am guessing it was a servo response? By the time the mouth and was open, the speech was on the second syllable. That kind of spoiled the act for me after that.

I guess it would be quite a challenge to open the mouth quickly AND quietly.

Hope this may help you decide.

Regards

Carl
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1742 Posts

Profile of wally
That was Brilliant.
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi Wally,
Thank you for that!
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
This is very impressive. I'd love to see the complete routine. I think if you could set up the moving mouth as a completely separate function operated by remote control instead of the clockwork (I'm guessing) that drives the rest of the movement, it would give you more versatility and better synch in actually having a dialogue or making him sing as he swings.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
rambodavis
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rambodavis
So impressed a beutiful job and I loved the music.
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
M R. Pitts and rambodavis,
Thank you very much for the positive words on my acrobat.
What you are describing is exactly what I had in mind. The ventriloquist would have complete control of the mouth. Small hand held remote. The more I think about it, I might opt to allow him control of the turning head. I have relays that would work well. I would just have to make sure that would be no slamming noise of the mouth.
Might just work!
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Very, very impressive! I can't imagine the work that must go into creating such a beautiful automaton. Robert-Houdin would be proud.

I think it would be very cute if you could talk to him, too.

Bob

P.S. PM'ed you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » A different kind of vent figure (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL