The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "Pressure" Cell Phone Inside of Balloon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
609 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
I bought the trick "Pressure" almost immediately after Ammar performed it on Letterman. I had a few ideas bouncing around in my head at the time. But, also at the time, my wife was in the hospital and after watching the DVD, it got shelved along with my ideas.

On Wednesday night, I used the effect to illustrate Envy. And the kids loved it, the adults gasped and my pastor is bugging me for the secret.

Here's the video from the product's site:
http://www.theory11.com/tricks/pressure.php

(I don't sell or endorse the effect - but it's cool enough to buy the dvd and start doing it).

I use a green balloon (envy) and my cell phone. I show that the cell phone works (I use an iphone) I discuss how this phone has the potential to do lots of things... make and receive calls, take pictures, read e-mail, check facebook, etc. I use the green balloon to represent envy and how envy keeps us from reaching our potential (I inflate the balloon)...we become so focused on what others have or what others are. (I put the phone into the balloon.) Now I try to take a picture, check my e-mails and even have someone call me from the audience (The kids didn't know someone was going to call me, my phone just started ringing.) But I couldn't answer the call. I have to inflate the balloon and pop it to get my phone out. We need to destroy the envy in our lives by focusing on what God wants to do in our lives.

Have fun with it!
Jamie
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Verrrrrryyyy interrrrrestingggggggg. Thanks for the link. Good application to the message.

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
609 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Thanks Wes,
BTW - love your site.

Jamie
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Is it s realistic description...is the phone really borrowed...how are the angles?
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I've performed pressure when I first bought it. Most of the time the person suspected how it was done. Their suspicion was right on the mark although I never admitted it.

And, before I get accused of not performing it right, (lol) I believe that I was. I even had some people laugh because they said it was too obvious.

I'm not alone because others that I have spoken to have said the same thing about Pressure.

There are of course some who say they perform it, and never got busted performing it, but even most of the reviews I've read about it say that the method looked to obvious to their spectator's.

The phone can be borrowed. Not much problem with angles, just can't hand out the balloon with phone until you do some dirty work first.

I really liked the idea of it when it was first released, but dropped it after too many people knew the method. Apparently the method is posted all over youtube.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I performed it from table to table at a large wedding reception and not one person suggested that they knew how it is done...it's a great effect for walk around and I like Jamie's presentation
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
609 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Thanks Terry,

to be honest, I've not had one person figure it out - or at least tell me that they've figured it out.

I've been thinking recently about another way to play it in a stand-up/platform presentation... first showing a cell phone inside of a balloon (If you stretch the opening enough, you can get one in there). Inflating it a little, popping it, and taking it out. Then say something to the effect: "I'll bet you wonder how you can get a cell phone inside of a balloon like that with out breaking the balloon... well, let me show you how I do it..."

Proceed to borrow a phone from an audience member and perform the effect.

Go - try it - have fun with it.
Jamie
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I like that too...very good Jamie
ezequiel
View Profile
New user
Portugal
10 Posts

Profile of ezequiel
I Jamie!

I use the pressure effect at already some time, in street and partys, never thought in how to use it in the gospel.

Your presentation look like very interesting, I'll try to use it f you don't mind.

About beeing busted, it will happen some day, there's always someone, somewhere that knows out its done, and simply wants to make good figure..... and people that knows nothing and will speak at the some...

One thing I've learned... keep going, what some people say doesn't make the show, and doesn't makes you. just don't get bored with that.
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
If I remember correctly, Christopher Lyle added something to this effect and called it Pressure 2.0. It enhanced the ending if I remember rightly...

Here are a few links for it:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&31

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=5&7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJnOjHLE3Y0

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
609 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Thanks marD

I'll check it out!
Jamie Doyle

jamiedoyle.com
Gary Barker
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
70 Posts

Profile of Gary Barker
I think at times we also forget that a well prepared, cleanly executed and entertaining presentation factoring in timing and some basic misdirection more often than not provides just what we need to escape being busted...I am not laying down the gauntlet that we will never be busted, but in my experience the above mentioned techniques or methods of preparation and presentation often eliminate this risk.

I also believe if you are providing legitimate value (whether purely entertainment value or conveying spiritual truth) most people will "play nice in the sandbox." This however is not ever to be a license for sloppy magic or the "buy today perform tonight" mentality.

Pressure is a very good example of the importance of a well prepared presentation. Not every effect is a good opener or closer as well. Some effects, like this one, are great for walk around or bonus effects...
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2010-11-12 15:27, Gary Barker wrote:
I think at times we also forget that a well prepared, cleanly executed and entertaining presentation factoring in timing and some basic misdirection more often than not provides just what we need to escape being busted...I am not laying down the gauntlet that we will never be busted, but in my experience the above mentioned techniques or methods of preparation and presentation often eliminate this risk.

Yes, but not always the case. With enough experience in performing, you realize that not all tricks are appropriate, nor are all of them workable in real situations. Sure a great magician csn make Pressure work. A great carpenter can hammer a nail with a wrench if he wanted to, and successfully pound the nail in. The question I ask myself is why? Why use a wrench when you can use a hammer.

Sponge balls in the right hands is powerful magic. Pressure is just not my cup of tea. I've had friends and family members bust Ammar when he was on Letterman. And, yes, I have had quite a few people suspect the method. I also believe that when performing for other Christians they will indeed play nice and not let on that they believe they know how it's done.

It's interresting to hear a lot of hype be put on a trick, but when someone leaves a negative review on it the reviewer is usually accussed of not performing it right. Where I am from most know the method. Sure I can spend more time with it, but I have so much other things that I can choose from that I don't need to make Pressure work for me. When I buy an effect, (not routine) I expect the effect to work for me, and not me needing to work for it. I prefer to spend that time on a good routine for my effects.

I also aknowledge that there are some who perform it without raising suspicion, or so they believe they don't. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "Pressure" Cell Phone Inside of Balloon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL