The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Which Newspaper Tear Should I Perform? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
As an interesting aside, in a personal, handwritten note from Robert Harbin that was included the copy of Magic of Robert Harbin I purchased second-hand, Harbin write that his newspaper tear was "the best thing in the book."
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1722 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Donal,

Where did you get the book from and how long ago did you buy it ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I've tried almost all the versions out there, and in the past months the only version I do is Paula Paul's version. I guess this is what I'll use forever Smile

Reset is about 10 seconds or less, no glue, no wire, no magnets, no scissors, and the good thing is that it has a one-hand flash restoration!
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2010-11-16 20:10, Oliver Ross wrote:
Donal,

Where did you get the book from and how long ago did you buy it ?

Thanks.

Oliver.

PM sent.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Thanks for this post.

I bought the No Tear version and used that for a while. I then saw Gene Anderson perform his gorgeous version. I pulled apart my No Tear prop and made my own version for family audiences that kind of combines the two.

I have a painted sign that says "Magic Show" hanging on stage. I tear it up and restore it to say "Applause." I have some sheet protector material on the back of the restored sign so I can re-use it. Short and sweet. I use the m****ts from the no tear to keep the packet together. I'm still tweaking it but it feels more organic for my type of show than a traditional newspaper effect.

-Daniel
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Is there a demo of Paula Paul's version? I've heard the effect mentioned , but have never seen it performed.
Thanks
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Quote:
On 2010-11-17 00:57, jskalon wrote:
Is there a demo of Paula Paul's version? I've heard the effect mentioned , but have never seen it performed.
Thanks

I believe there's none at the moment. I learned it from Paula's written instructions and from corresponding with her online.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
davbut50
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of davbut50
I find this post interesting because I bought several newspapers yesterday to work on one version. In the April 1992 edition of MAGIC there is an article on "The Incessant Newspaper" by Jim Steinmeyer. I always intended to try this effect; however, I never got started for one reason or another. I will start working on it this afternoon. If anyone has improvements or suggestions for this version, please let me know.
misterjeffo
View Profile
New user
Fairfield, Connecticut
13 Posts

Profile of misterjeffo
I have always enjoyed Gene Anderson's classic version of this effect ever since seeing Doug Henning perform it live in the 1970's. Last month I caught Mark Mason's lecture tour when it stopped here in CT and now I'm a new "No-Tear" convert!

You start off with the pieces already torn but I'm not sure that anything's really lost there. It's the flash restoration that's a real eye-blinker. Here's a link with a clip of Mark doing it;

http://www.jbtv.co.uk/j-b-products/no-te......-154.php

What do you think Magi?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Misterjeffo,
There is several conflecting feelings on newspapers tears.

Some believe the trick should go full circle.
Some believe there should be no folding marks on the restored newspaper.
Some only like easy to prepare, and do not feel the effort is worth preperation time needed.
Some like the slow visible restoration of torn pieces.
Some like the flash restoration.
Some think it should be a logical handling and others do not, they think the audience does not notice discripencies in the handling of the newspaper.

I do know there is enough versions that everyone should be performing this classic in their repertoire.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2067 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I perform "Newsflash" and it always gets a hugh reaction. I love it!

Regards, Steve
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Joel Bauer Trade Show Torn and Restored Newspaper is the Alan Shaxon Newspaper Tear. There is an added feature in the preparation that is mentioned.

Yes, we can add Newsflash by Axel Hacklau to the list now.

robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
441 Posts

Profile of robvh
What version doesn't suffer from the visible folds in the restored newspaper?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-02-24 04:21, robvh wrote:
What version doesn't suffer from the visible folds in the restored newspaper?

Actually, to my way of thinking which is different then yours, the folds lines as you call them are actually creases, left from the restoration. They are there because that is where it was restored together. I guess you see it differently.

So the only paper tear you should do is Pat Page 10 Second Paper Tear. Of course you may not like the fold the newspaper company puts in the spine and middle in the packing process. I can't justify that either, as there is not reason to have creases in any newspaper.

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You should see Paul Daniels do Andrew Mayne's AWESOME PRESENTATION
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Loyal user
Fairhaven, MA
262 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Bill, thanks for this list. Thanks also for everyone's comments. A great amount of information.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21976 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just noticed Paula Paul is currently selling her Torn and Restored Newspaper in the Let's Make A Deal section of the Café. Limited available and only selling till the end of this month. If interested, I suggest you hurry. First come - first serve.

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24047 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 23:42, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Joel Bauer Trade Show Torn and Restored Newspaper is the Alan Shaxon Newspaper Tear.

That is my favorite one. At times I have several gigs to do in a row. I do not want to go thru a procedure of setting a gimmick with glue.

Richard Osterlind shows a method too on one of his DVDs.
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
297 Posts

Profile of mixman
My 2 favorites are the Gene Anderson tear and Andrew Maynes's "Tear down". For larger stage shows, I use the Anderson tear. for smaller
shows or close up, I use Tear down. I have seen the promo video for "Newsflash" and it looks great. I just have not justified the price in my mind yet. One cool advantage with tear down is you can do it impromptu. I have actually had a person go get a newspaper from the gift shop or lobby. They sign it and give it to me and I perform the tear and restore. It kills.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1722 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Mixman,

The justification of "Axel Hecklau's Newsflash" price is the fact that you can do it with every single newspaper available in the world. Everything is included so you can go out, buy some different newspapers and start working on it. It's not just like any DVD that teaches something and then you need to buy extra stuff to start the work of a new routine.

Me too, I thought first, wow that's expensif, but I don't regret any cent for what I've paid for.

Thank you Axel.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Which Newspaper Tear Should I Perform? (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL