The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Which Newspaper Tear Should I Perform? (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
mpicard
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of mpicard
I am glad I found this list. Thank you for putting it together.
I have used a variety of those listed such as the Gene Anderson and the Robert Baxt as well as many others.
As I am doing more Stand up comedy magic, I am using the No-tear version. The idea of the paper already torn and then the flash restoration suits best for my presentation of picking up a bunch of newspaper clippings and telling one liners about the headlines. Such as " here is a story in the news about the website beautifulpeople.com has deleted the profile of over 30,000 members because they were deemed too ugly to participate. I don't know if this is true or not as I can't log on anymore. " by doing a bunch of jokes after picking up each page does not lead to the audience thinking that I am going to do a restore since I did not tear in front of them.
There is justification for each page and then after a bunch of jokes I unexpectedly restore the paper.
Easily resets and I have each joke written on each individual torn page to which I can pick and chose which jokes I will do at that performance.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I have heard Paula's tear mentioned here. It would be nice to see it in action. What tear can you compare it to?
Thanks
Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
AH! I have a memory like a sieve! The answer as to what other paper tear Paula's resembled was answered in another thread - WHEN I ASKED THE QUESTION THE LAST TIME! better buy some Ginko Biloba.

(BTW - It's resembles Pat Page's tear)
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
magicjluc
View Profile
New user
australia and France
61 Posts

Profile of magicjluc
I have done the Gene Anderson for years, and it took me some time to try Axel's Newsflash, but it was a smart move! I got much better reactions and it feels more natural as well.
Other wise I didn't see anyone mention the Richard Osterlind Version with a signed page.
Zatanna,female magician and mentalist, 2007,2008 & 2009 WA's Magician of the year, 2011 Fringe Festival magic slam winner. Festival Off d'Avignon 2021 2022.
Magicien professionnel au féminin close-up et scène Cannes Monaco Côte d'Azur.
https://www.zatanna.pro
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I just realized as I was typing an suggestion in another forum on this subject, that I forgot Mike Caveney's Torn and Restored Newspaper in his book Comedy Magic.

He has a funny finale restoration with masking tape as I recall, then rolls up the newspaper and produces a burning candle from the newspaper tube.

Now that is magic!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bill Hegbli:

If you like Mike Caveney's Torn and Restored Newspaper, you should see his toilet paper trick......I saw him do it first at The Faucett Ross MagicFest in 1983, and it was PHENOMENAL!!! (He did his arm juggling bit, too...and it was pretty cool!)

I talked to Mike about the toilet paper trick a couple of years ago at ABBOTT's, and he got a charge out of the fact that I loved that trick so much.....admitting to me that it was "one of my favorites, and frankly, best tricks, and that I'm delighted to hear that you like this so much...I don't hear much from Magicians about it".....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yeah, I seen Mike Caveney at Abott's perform these tricks, I was totally fooled by his toilet paper trick. If you want of know about the rising toilet paper, it is published in his book "Wonders". That will set you back $255.00 though he promises to describe all his different versions, plus you get all his creative effects he has been doing for some time.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Any body have "U.F. Grant's FoolZum Newspaper Tear"? I have been looking for that one for some time.
MagicDebbie
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MagicDebbie
Richard Osterlind's signed torn and restored newspaper is grand.

Description from his Mind Mysteries series ( dvd volume #4 ):

"Signed Torn and Restored Newspaper - This is the most guarded secret in this video series! Any page is selected from a newspaper and signed by a spectator. The paper is torn in half five times and then restored. The signed paper is then returned to the spectator to keep as a souvenir. What's more, the performer is totally clean at the effect's conclusion. This effect has been fooling the best minds in magic for over 15 years and is finally being released!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Andrew Mayne has marketed his version of the signed torn and restored newspaper as well. I think it resorts to the oldest dodge in magic to do the necessary.
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
I've been performing AM's Tear Down for some time now, but I'm thinking of picking up another tear that has a flash ending. Problem being that I work street shows and many back to back bookings. I'm really eyeing up Newsflash. Is it really worth the price, though?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yehoshua a better version for a street version that is pretty angle proof, fast reset (yes reset!), and has a flash restoration is Joel Bauer's "Torn and Restored Newspaper". It was honed for a trade show environment and I have used it on the streets. It is quick and clean and easy to build.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
Harry, thanks so much for the recommendation! I'm on the hunt now!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Johnny Brown had a two restore version of the Gene Anderson Tear in "Isn't it Good?" I used it on television in the Seventies on Loman and Barkley.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paula Paul's Newspaper tear is needed to be listed on this forum. She put together a nice version for herself. Last I know she was selling it for $20.00, and has redesigned the printed instructions to include photographs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now we have the latest version by the Paul Harris company. The Examiner by John Graham is a $100.00 version that uses a very small paper. I would not actually call it a newspaper tear, as it only uses one sheet and a very odd size paper at that. Kind of like the small ad sheets inserted in the Sunday Newspaper. The handling is questionable to my way of thinking, using a lot of controlling and folding behind the scenes.

They say, the guy put a lot of work into it, and from the demo video, I have to agree. Maybe to much work. The process alone looks labor intensive.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Here is one that has not been previously mentioned in this discussion:

Antonio Romero's Torn & Restored Newspaper.

http://www.antonioromero.net/romeromagic......d_lang=4

also available from here:

http://www.lybrary.com/the-torn-and-rest......433.html

Quote:
"This routine incorporates a system that conceals the torn pieces automatically, eliminating all angle problems. This means it can be performed surrounded, and that makes it truly practical and easy to perform.

The video contains over 60 minutes of detailed instructions with all the secrets of this wonderful routine that has made its way into the repertoires of many professionals. It was created by Antonio Romero in 1983 and first published in his book La Magia de Antonio Romero in 1992."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uzeAao4g0

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I thought it would be interesting to compare the "flash" restoration phase of Gene Anderson's version to Antonio Romero's version to Axel Hecklau's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSyPrBsUXFs

To the average audience member viewing this effect all three of these are the same. What varies for the performer is the amount of set-up required and the moves required to get to this phase in the trick . Anderson's and Hecklau's can be performed with larger size broadsheet newspapers , but I've only seen Romero's done with the more compact "tabloid" size . Romero's might be adaptable to a larger size newspaper . I actually don't find the smaller tabloid size to be a problem as newspaper size in general continues to shrink and many of the commonly available free "community newspapers" or trade papers are the smaller tabloid size, so obtaining materials to make the trick is more or less no cost. (aside from a few items from a craft store or office supply store.)

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would, as an MC, walk on stage and find a lot of pieces of paper on the floor, pick them all up and restore to a full untorn page. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pete, you are of course speaking of the "No Tear Torn and Restored Newspaper" or the "No Tear Version 2" from Mark Mason at JB Magic.

Sells for $25.00.
http://www.jbtvusa.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is also the No Tear Ulitimate No Tear Newspaper Tear Illusion by Magic Maker's. I like to call it the vanishing Paper Clip trick.

The make "The Torn and Restored Newspaper Illusion", which seems to be a collection of different methods.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Which Newspaper Tear Should I Perform? (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL