The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Which Newspaper Tear Should I Perform? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
There is also the Alex Elmsley paper tear which is one of the few that during the gradual restoration the paper continues to have "torn" edges until the final restoration. It's a little preparation heavy but it looks pretty good.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
MagicJuggler, thanks for the comment, but Alex Elmsley's is listed on page on 1st initial post of mine. You might find something interesting that interest you.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I would like to perform the Slydini newspaper tear. I'm trying to learn it from his book "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" but I'm not understanding the prepararation of the paper.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2015, mtstic44 wrote:
I would like to perform the Slydini newspaper tear. I'm trying to learn it from his book "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" but I'm not understanding the prepararation of the paper.

Then buy The Magical World of Slydini and The Best of Slydini 2 - 2 volume sets. More text from the master himself, not by someone else like Ganson or the person who made the annotates. More step by step pictures.

I don't understand, because you did not state what you are having a problem with. If it the whole assembly. Then just go back and study the text and study the pictures. I think they are self explanatory, that is just my opinion. Best you obtain another source, as your problem is to big for a forum.

Example, you wrote one run one sentence, and I have 5 sentences just to help you by making some suggestions.

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Mtstic44 there is a great and easy to follow DVD on the Slydini Torn and Restored Newspaper. It is called "Sly News Tear" put out by Tony Clark.

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/......t_id=114

Nick Lewin also put out a nice version of the slow-motion torn and restored newspaper. It is also pretty much based on the Al Baker Torn and Restored newspaper (often called the Slydini T&R newspaper). It is worth the investment. Mr. Lewin calls his the 'Ultimate Slow-Motion Torn and Restored Newspaper".

http://www.lewinenterprises.net/ultimate-products.html

Either of these might prove easier than reading the descriptions and following the diagrams and photo's. I just reviewed the "The Magic World of Slydini" and found the description for making and using the prop fairly easy to follow. I also reviewed "Ganson's "The Magic of Slydini" and found the description to be a little less clear but still pretty easy to follow. I guess I'd have to know more about what your difficulties seem to be.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Thank you Mr.Murphy I will look into it.I am probably making it harder than it should be.
Thanks again
Allen
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Allen/Mtstic44 take your time. Get a couple of stacks of old newspapers and a couple of glue sticks and work through the instructions. For practice papers don't even bother using duplicate pages. Just make them to be torn up and discarded. Once you've made the gaffed paper a few times it will become almost second nature. Like anything new it will feel awkward the first few times you try it. The end product of an amazing performance piece is well worth the work making the gaff/prop, and the rehearsal time to make it appear effortless.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2010, Bill Hegbli wrote:

12.) Foolzum Newspaper Tear – marketed by U.F. Grant years ago, never purchases so cannot comment of this single sheet torn and restored newspaper. Not currently on the market. If anyone has these instructions would like to have a copy.

I had never seen the Grant "Foolzum" torn & restored newspaper , either , but have seen it mentioned from time to time on the Café , including in Bill's original post that started this long-running discussion of various versions of the torn & restored newspaper .

I finally came across it , and it is pretty much what I expected in terms of the method , although I was disappointed in the ending of the effect which is not a complete restoration. For completeness sake , I offer my thoughts on it based on the photocopied instruction sheet from Mak Magic (for all I know U.F. Grant's original version may have had more detailed instructions , but I don't know.) I greatly admire U.F. Grant as a creator of magical effects , but I think this is one of his weaker items.

-----

Here’s the dealer description of the Foolzum Torn & Restored Newspaper:

http://www.magicinc.net/foolzumtornnewspaper.aspx

Quote:
"You can pick up any paper and prepare this in about 20 seconds. No glue, gimmicks, sleights, or false moves. This overcomes the big weakness of all restorations, where the edges of the torn pieces are seen to even up. If you have tried all the others, here's the answer.

One hundred percent mystery! You receive the secret instructional sheet that describes all you need to know for making up and performing this great effect.

A full size sheet of newspaper is handed for examination, and without adding anything, is openly and deliberately torn up. The rough edges of the paper are seen to get smooth, and on opening the paper out, it is restored. But, only half the paper is there. The other half falls to the floor.

The audience thinks they are the torn pieces. It is picked up, unrolled, and there is the completely restored other half of the paper. Wait! What's that sticking over the edge of the magician's palm? He reveals another paper, opens it out and it's restored.
"

-----

Based on the instructions for the trick here are some clarifications of what actually happens during the performance:

1.) You start by tearing up a single full-size sheet of newspaper (a double-page sheet of newspaper). Note that before tearing it the sheet of newspaper may be examined (it is totally ungimmicked).

2.) The restoration described above as “The rough edges of the paper are seen to get smooth, and on opening the paper out, it is restored.” is not really accurate. The words “the rough edges of the paper are seen to get smooth” would lead you to believe it is an instant visual restoration from torn (rough) edges to restored smooth edges. Not really. I don’t know where they get that from.

3.) When the initial restoration happens only HALF (one page) of the full Double-page sheet of newspaper is restored …

4.) Suddenly, a packet of folded up newspaper falls to the floor , with the implication being that the magician messed up and has accidentally dropped the concealed torn pages. The magician feigns embarrassment , wadding up the single restored sheet and throws it away. Then, the magician picks up the “torn pieces packet” on the floor and offers to magically restore the torn pieces … which he does , by opening out the paper and showing that instead of torn pieces it is a whole piece of newspaper, the missing half of the paper that was previously shown half restored (but keep in mind that the first restored half-piece has been wadded up and thrown off-stage ... or into a garbage can , or tossed into the magicians case , whatever the case may be … )

5.) Now at this point the magician is holding a restored half sheet (one page) of the original Double-page sheet of newspaper that was torn. Then another packet is seen sticking out from the magician’s hand … uh-oh , has the clumsy magician been busted again? No (silly rubes! this is a trick for suckers) … this packet is opened up and is shown to be a whole single sheet of newspaper , not torn pieces . These two single sheets (two halves of a double-page of newspaper) may now be handed out for examination.

In conclusion , the great flaw in this presentation is that the double-page of newspaper is never fully restored to it’s original state.

Instead, through a convoluted series of actions that are intended to lead the audience into thinking that you messed up by accidentally dropping the torn pieces, you have ended up with two halves of the original double-page of newspaper “restored” … but then it seems to me that the logical conclusion of the trick demands that the magician restore those two halves into the original double-page of newspaper. That does not happen , so it feels like there is not a proper conclusion to this trick.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thank you David Todd for investigating this Newspaper Tear, I wondered why no magic dealers back in the 1960's carried it, when their shelves were full of U.F. Grant magic. For a time Daytona Magic had this listed, but their postage is just to high for a $2 instruction sheet. They don't list it any longer, unless after my inquiry a few years ago, they have decided to list again. I don't know have not looked.

That finale is definitely flawed, but as long as the working and handling is sound, then it may be useful in some performing situations, depending on the set up and angles of course.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Hi, Bill Hegbli,

Here’s another one to add to your list of Newspaper tears :

Bill Goldman’s “No Tear” Torn & Restored Newspaper. You’ll have to search for it. It was published in Bill Goldman’s newsletter “Bill Goldman’s Magic Bar & Grill” issue #6 .

Here is Bill’s description:

Quote:
“When my No-Tear version of the torn and restored newspaper reappeared sans permission in someone’s marketed effect , I was a bit disturbed. When I confronted the individual he assured me that he would give me credit in the manuscript. And I believed him ; I even liked him. Unfortunately, it never happened ; he subsequently sold the rights to a dealer and the credit fell through the cracks. It pains me to admit that I was motivated by anger [to come up with this new version] , but anger aside , I think that this is the ultimate routine and method. There are no clips, flaps, glue , tape , magnets, pulls, wire, etc. … AND in the end you can hand out the newspaper --- it’s ungimmicked !"

Bill Goldman’s version starts off with the comedy bit of reading off humorous gag headlines from various newspaper clippings that you pull out of your pockets one by one ... at the end you are holding a handful of individual pieces of newspaper and then the magician says: “Put them all together and you know what you get ?" —- then the pieces instantly meld together into a full newspaper (this is a flash restoration similar to the Anderson version ) ... except for a single piece of newspaper which flutters to the floor ... which is then shown to perfectly match a torn hole in the restored newspaper, which may then be handed out to the audience as the magician says: "On a good day , I can get them all." As he hands out the single piece and the newspaper he says: “Here, you can work on the last piece."

The single un-restored piece and the restored newspaper that are handed out to the audience can be examined thoroughly . So this is different from the marketed version of “No Tear” which can’t be examined.

It’s worth searching for a copy of “Bill Goldman’s Magic Bar & Grill” issue #6 . Or ALL ten issues of the Magic Bar & Grill newsletters have been collected into a single book called “Magic Bar & Grill” by Bill Goldman . http://dennymagic.com/store/bar-and-gril......ook.html
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Thank you David Todd for investigating this Newspaper Tear, I wondered why no magic dealers back in the 1960's carried it, when their shelves were full of U.F. Grant magic. For a time Daytona Magic had this listed, but their postage is just to high for a $2 instruction sheet. They don't list it any longer, unless after my inquiry a few years ago, they have decided to list again. I don't know have not looked.

That finale is definitely flawed, but as long as the working and handling is sound, then it may be useful in some performing situations, depending on the set up and angles of course.

As I think about it , the "Foolzum" tear could be presented like this:

A single full size sheet of newspaper (double-spread) is torn into pieces and then restored . (in this case the restored piece is also a full size double-spread sheet of newspaper). Then a packet of newspaper drops to the floor, which causes the magician to be embarrassed, as he has apparently messed up and dropped the concealed duplicate packet of torn newspaper pieces … feigning chagrin the magician puts his foot over the packet of newspaper on the floor as if to hide it , then realizes there’s no use in trying to cover up this obvious mistake , and in disgust he wads up the “restored” newspaper and throws it off stage or into his case …. then trying to regain his composure he turns his attention to the packet of newspaper on the floor, saying something like: “When this sort of thing happens the only solution is to use real magic …” as he picks up the torn pieces on the floor and gives them a shake to show that the pieces are now restored .

For myself, the only situation I can imagine using this is in a seemingly “impromptu” setting where there is a fire nearby …. a campfire in an outdoor setting or a fire in a fireplace indoors. When the magician acts like he has messed up and wads up the first “restored” newspaper in disgust , he tosses it into the fire (thereby disposing of the dirty little secret concealed in that newspaper) . Then regaining his composure he proceeds to restore the packet of supposedly torn pieces that were dropped on the floor. With some good acting this could be effective. It could be prepared with a few minutes notice and a little privacy by using the classified ad section of a newspaper or some other section of the paper with a lot of text , but no photos or distinctive headlines , so that no one will notice that the restored paper at the end is not the same paper which was originally torn apart.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
While we're at it , maybe this was mentioned previously (?) , but is the Tenyo Newsworthy torn & restored newspaper basically a simplified, one-sheet version of the Gene Anderson version ? (at least the flash restoration part ...)

I notice at the end of the demo that the performer doesn't show the interior pages like with the Anderson version . Is this a limitation of the Tenyo version or did they just omit that from the demo for purposes of shortening the running time of the demo video ? Of course, because it's a one-sheet paper (one sheet , double-page) maybe that's why both sides are not shown ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eId0ibVuEFM

(why would anyone ever say "Here is an ordinary newspaper" ? !! Well of course it is ... Why wouldn't it be ordinary ? .... unless somone were to plant in the audience's collective mind the idea that there is something other than an "ordinary" newspaper ... DUH .)

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Recently I have been reading the book "Alan Shaxon - The Sophisticated Sorcerer" and among other things I'm impressed with how Shaxon is very careful to give credits and cite his influences. For example, in his account of the development of his Torn & Restored Newspaper , "Tearing Up the News" , Alan Shaxon mentions that his version incorporates ideas from Edward Hopkinson , Alex Elmsley, Patrick Page, and Ken Bowell.

See this scan from the book (with certain portions deleted to avoid exposure; those who know the trick and the other versions cited will have no trouble filling in the blanks)

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
David Todd, are you trying to imply something, as we all know and do, it is those that go before us gives us a foundation to build on. In the end, as it is all assembled, it is the Alan Shaxon version. I have all the versions, except Ken Bowell and Edward Hopkinson, and I have gone over them individually, and they do seem like a good assembly of the different versions. In fact it is more Pat Page then 10 Second Newspaper Tear mostly.

When Alan Shaxon added the "Drink Pour" to his T&R Newspaper, he and Pat Page made the Trick-A-Tape video together.

In my review of the book, I mentioned, and you should have found as you read, that the book reads like it was an unfinished work. They just found the manuscript and printed it as is. I am sure if Alan Shaxon could have been able to finish the book, it would have been very different. I don't think he was being "careful" at all, This was just the 1st unedited draft, in my opinion.

In a way, I like that the publishers did not add "their words" to the book, unless of course they would have interviewed Anne his wife.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
"In my review of the book, I mentioned, and you should have found as you read, that the book reads like it was an unfinished work."

Bill , I don't recall reading your review of the book. (I have now looked up your review of the book . I agree with you that it is a somewhat slim book for the original asking price and some of it does read as if it could have been expanded upon further ... I did not feel that way about the description of "Tearing Up the News" , which was the topic of my post. The description of Tearing Up the News is fine for anyone wanting to know how to perform it and the additional footnotes he adds to the history behind coming up with his version are what I was pointing out.)

I did not "imply" anything. I stated clearly that I appreciated Alan Shaxon's thorough crediting of those who had influenced his own version. To me that is being careful and I find it helpful to see the thinking behind how he developed his own version.

Quote:
"I don't think he was being "careful" at all, This was just the 1st unedited draft, in my opinion."

I suppose it could be that what we are reading are unedited 1st draft notes and that Mr. Shaxon had plans to further expand his description of "Tearing Up the News" (and other tricks in the book) , but sadly we will never know for sure. My comments were limited to "Tearing Up the News" , not a general review of the entire book.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, just thought there was something you were trying to say without saying it.

lumagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lumagic
So many different versions on the market, I use Axel's Hecklau newspaper tear, it's very good for stage perfomance
gatorjim
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of gatorjim
I also use Axel Hecklau's newspaper tear....more expensive than all of the others mentioned but it can be done with any paper and the set-up is easy. Years ago I used another tear, my memory doesn't recall exactly which one, but Axel's set-up probably takes one tenth of the time I'd spend on the other one.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21978 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My advice, get as many as you can, work out each one, and chose the one you like the best that fits your needs in preparation and performance ability for you.

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3230 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Some newspaper tears make great closing tricks, some do not. Why?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Which Newspaper Tear Should I Perform? (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL