The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Kyoto and Gion Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bilal89
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of bilal89
Hi
I just saw the Kyoto and Gion Decks by Yuji Murakami and Masuda and I was very impressed by the trailor. I was even more impressed when it said no rough or smooth involved so I tried to search for a review for these decks but couldn't find. Anyone can give us a decent review for any of these?
Thank you,
Bilal
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
This is a pretty much new items, so it would be a while until someone posts up some reviews. I also would like to read a good review on these two effects.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
The Gion Deck is brilliant. So innocent, so hands-off. A devious piece of thinking.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
bilal89
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of bilal89
WOW,, thx Ben for the quick review. I think I will be getting one of these soon but I have one question. Do you know if the methods applied and the kyoto and gion decks are the same? The Gion seems to have an advantage that you can show 2 predictions, is there any difference between the two? If you can just be a bit more specific in your reviews I would really appreciate it.
Thank again
Bilal
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
I'm curious about this as well. Not a big fan of using a Hindu shuffle... wonder whether an overhand be substituted?
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Bila,

I was not really a review, just a comment. I've been playing with it and it's a very clever application of principles. The deck is also beautifully made by the U.S. Playing Card Co. I don't know about the Kyoto Deck. But GION is an amazing idea.

Hi oombob...You do NOT have to Hindu Shuffle. You can table the deck and have it cut by each spectator, one after the other. You don't need to touch the deck at all. They always (each) get the appropriate force card. It's ***ed clever!

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
Thanks Ben... cool!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hey Ben,

Does that mean the only shuffle the spectator can do is Hindu?
If so could this be reworked for the US market so it could use an overhand instead?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Due to the way this works, the SPECTATOR cannot overhand shuffle. But you can spread the deck, show the cards different, give a quick Hindu (or overhand shuffle YOURSELF) to mix, then TABLE the deck for the two cuts.

There is a lovely routine that is also supplied that validates the Hindu Shuffle. They shuffle off spelling out the letters of their names in the process (thus arriving at their chosen cards). This makes sense with the Hindu.

But, as I say, you cannot modify for an overhand shuffle by the SPECTATORS. It just will not work. Believe me, I've thought about it. It's physically impossible due to the clever method.

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Ah. A shame. because I did love how he let the spectator shuffle, but trying to get Americans to do the hindu shuffle strikes me as very unnatural.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I agree - It's cool to see folks from Japan doing such smooth Hindu shuffles nearly effortlessly. Americans would be totally puzzled.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
Although I have made every effort to be nice this year, I'm not too confident that Santa will deliver a "Gion deck" to my stocking.

I have decided to take matters into my own hands and lay down fifty plus smackers for a deck of cards.

(Oh yes... don't tell my wife.)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
DITTO.

It will be our little secret OK?

Don't feel bad - "Get Sharky" was $80. Worth it to me too.

I figure it is cheaper than therapy (I'm a Realtor in Phoenix). That is how I rationalize it all.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
bilal89
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of bilal89
Seems interesting. I am surely buying one of these decks but I am still confused which one to buy. In the kyoto deck the deck is faro shuffled by the magician, I wonder if this is a difference between the two since the hindu shuffle also is not popular in my country . If not I guess I will stick with telling the spectator to cut the deck as much as they would like (i guess its better than telling them to shuffle the deck in a strange way).
Bilal
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On 2010-11-16 02:02, saysold1 wrote:
DITTO.

It will be our little secret OK?

Don't feel bad - "Get Sharky" was $80. Worth it to me too.

I figure it is cheaper than therapy (I'm a Realtor in Phoenix). That is how I rationalize it all.

"Get Sharky"... another one on my list!
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
How do these compare to the mastermind deck by chris kenworthey? Any better? Worse? Thanks guys

-Dane
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
Well I have my Gion Deck... and it was a complete waste of money. Totally unpractical. Feel free to disagree but most spectators I know naturally cut a deck by placing thumb and fingers on the short ends of the deck... sooo unless you want to teach your spectator to hindu shuffle, stay a ga-zillion miles away from this.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2010-11-18 23:24, mrdane wrote:
How do these compare to the mastermind deck by chris kenworthey? Any better? Worse? Thanks guys

-Dane

You can't compare! There is nothing in common.

Quote:
On 2010-12-16 23:25, oombob wrote:
Well I have my Gion Deck... and it was a complete waste of money. Totally unpractical. Feel free to disagree but most spectators I know naturally cut a deck by placing thumb and fingers on the short ends of the deck... sooo unless you want to teach your spectator to hindu shuffle, stay a ga-zillion miles away from this.

Agreed. 100%
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Well I think Hindu shuffle is quite common or even very common in Asia. At least here, in my country, when I give the deck to the spectator and ask them to shuffle, 100% of them will do a Hindu.

Even before I'm into magic, I used to do Hindu shuffle all the time. So I don't think this would be a problem for me or those who are happen to reside in Asia. I'm still trying to find out the versatility between Gion and Kyoto.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
I personally don't like either of the decks (I bought both of them) namely because of the fact that you do need to tell the spectator to Hindu Shuffle the deck and before I ever even brought out the decks I tried teaching this to 10 random people and most of them are still trying to figure out how to do that (they're friends and family I tried teaching) and I started teaching them at the beginning of November when I got the decks and I'm still trying to teach them how to do it.

If anyone wants them let me know because I will have absolutely no use for them at all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Kyoto and Gion Decks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL