The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Bottom deal question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Hi all,

In searching for a natural grip for a bottom deal, I eventually ended up with something that would probably be called a straddle grip. When performing this deal, the intent is not to be in straddle all the time; the pinky moves to the inner right corner when the deal is done. The intent is to keep the pinky under the deck as much as possible so it doesn't flash at the inner end.

I don't have too much literature as far as bottom dealing is concerned, so I'm wondering if this position is obviously flawed in some way. I'm assuming this grip must have been studied by many, and since I haven't heard about it, I'm guessing that other methods must be superior.

Can anyone point me to a reference in this area, or speak to why this isn't a good method? It seems to have potential, but I'd rather not put in a hundred hours to find that other methods are much better. :o) At the same time, it seems that a lot of the harder gambling sleights are somewhat unique to each worker.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1907 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Theres a lot of awesome guys here that can help in that dept... I would reccomend Jason Englands stuff..also, do a search and theres a lot of info...
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
TheHbomb
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of TheHbomb
I believe there is a straddle grip bottom deal written up in Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic. Also, I think you should practice dealing while constantly in straddle grip, because not only will you practice the grip and your hands will get more used to it, but also your top deals and bottom deals will look much more similar if you are used to doing them from the same grip, which will help disguise the bottoms more.

Colin
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I think you need to follow your own path on this. No one's going be able to tell you exactly what to do. When I decided to get serious about bottom dealing, I determined who the acknowledged experts were both past and present. I studied Erdnase and Marlo, Phantom of the Card Table ( which describes the straddle grip ), read the Gene Maze book, got tips from the Vernon tapes. Acquired Richard Turner's DVD's and ultimately settled on a grip and method that suits my hands. As it turns out, it's a melding of Richard Turner's see saw bottom, Marlo's Master Grip and two or three other techniques. And, it changes as I become more proficient. It's not a fast process.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
It was already mentioned , but I second the recommendation of Jason England's instruction on this. It can save you a lot of time.
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips!
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1681 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
So do I!

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Jonathan O
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Jonathan O
I recommend Jason's download over at Theory11 too. Also, it could be a good idea to look into Annotated Erdnase by Darwin Ortiz. Here he discuss the Erdnase bottom deal, he also shows other grips that can be used, Straddle grip, Mechanics grip, etc.

It would be good to study and try different grips then practicing Bottom dealing.

Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Bottom deal question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL