The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rock and Roll! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
His name is Robert Paulson.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Santa
I was born in the 20th century.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
I saw Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers in Edinburgh in 1977, supporting Nils Lofgren, and there was no question that the roles should have been reversed. Mind you, I never knew more than one of Nils Lofgren's songs, and I didn't even much like that.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
On TPs bio they showed who they opened for prior to 78 and when I saw Nils Lofgren I laughed. The only reason to see him (I saw him in a club back then and later with Springsteen) was to see him do that flip on the trampoline!
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Yes, the trampoline flip is the only part of his act I remember from that. I didn't really understand what it was supposed to add then, and I still scratch my head about it now
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
MS,
Gotta love those bands. The Dead are definitely on top of my list. Especially the early albums like 'Workingman's Dead' and 'American Beauty'.
I've always preferred songs where the lyrics weren't redundant and clear.
Give me a good story and I'm OK.

Jim Steinman who wrote some of the best Meatloaf songs is pure genius IMO.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think Steinman wrote 'em all. I'm humbled to say that when Meatloaf was not able to sing and they had an album due so Steinman put it out himself I was the guy who bought it. I actually remember a couple of songs from it....they should redo it with ol' Meat.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 10:39, critter wrote:
His name is Robert Paulson.

Referring to Mr. Loaf in Fight Club,it took me a minute.

Mike
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Muse, he did the flip when he played for Springsteen...not sure why other than he could.

Ladies and gentleman.....I present for your entertainment.....the back flip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su959eEFnnA&feature=related
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Now you have to check out the full on gymnastic/break dancing wonder that is Nils Lofgren-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcnQQuxDv8&feature=related

He's got some sweet moves Smile

Mike
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
It was strange at the time, because the big draw for the crowd was Tom Petty/Heartbreakers, and they were certainly why I bought the ticket. No doubt when the tour was put together, they were the less well known of the two groups, but by the time of the concert, they were who everyone was there to see. So to have, in effect, the headliners come out to play first, then have the 'support' band play after them was an exercise in how not to schedule entertainment.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Well Santa, even though I was 4 then, I love that era of music. I was truly born at the wrong time. I would do anything to have seen the Blues Brothers in their heyday. I did get to see the new band with Mighty Mac and Zee in the House of Blues in Atlantic City. Good show, but it's just not the same. Favorite songs, Rubber Biscuit, Hey Bartender and Sweet Home Chicago.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The Blues Brothers were absolutely great. I think we expected a joke but they basically did their album, Briefcase Full of Blues was recorded, I think, at some radio or record company convention.

My biggest dissappointed (other than seeing Queen who were terrible) was I was going to see Ozzie in Florida, never seen him, and they had that accident the day before and Randy Rhodes was killed. They replaced Ozzie with....Pat Travers. First off Travers didn't have the equipment to do the show so he blew amps but he just didn't do it for me and I've seen him about four times by accident. He should tour with Nils. Best surprise was when I saw The Cars at their first big show and they warmed up for the warm up band for, I think, Styx. The Cars just stood their and played but they were great.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
I'm the opposite as far as Queen are concerned. The funny thing for me about them is that I although could never stand them, my itunes has zero Queen songs in it, and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is the biggest musical abomination this side of the creation of the world in my opinion...I saw them playing at the local university in 1974, and it was one of the best shows I ever saw. They were very obviously several levels above any of the other bands I saw there, so, for me they were great live, but their studio stuff always left me cold.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know what was up because they came out and did like a medley of songs and were off stage in about 27 minutes. Granted Freddie could have been sick or something. I'll tell you how short it ran. The local rock station would have someone at the show and when a song was played they would play the song so people could hear the songs from the set. Usually the live versions run longer than the record so it worked out. In this case Queen was already gone and the radio was still playing songs because, as I said, they would play a minute of a song then move onto another one for a minute etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rock and Roll! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL