The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing silently (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michel Fouche
View Profile
New user
Dumb as
70 Posts

Profile of Michel Fouche
Does anyone here perform strolling silently? I do there is at least one person who works as a strolling mime magician but can't think you he is at the moment. I'm looking at this because I have found my silent work on stage gets much better reactions than my spoken work. So I wondered if it would translate to close-up.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'm certainly not a mime magician. (Ugh....even the thought of those 2 words together.) In clubs and bars I'm often forced to perform silent as there is a band or DJ. In cases like this, it's best to have material that is very visual and doesn't rely on lots of instructions or questions. You'd probably be surprised how much of your regular material can be done silently.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Michel Fouche,

Like pepka, I don't plan to work silently but in noisy situations or if there is a language barrier I can end up working silently or not being understood (in which case I generally still talk but recognize that I need to act it out bigger as well).

If these conditions don't exist some people can be mighty uncomfortable with a silent performance. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but be prepared for people to either try to get you to talk or start translating for you. If you can have Music it might make it work better.

- Mary Mowder
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Same here. I do it when I need to or when the mood strikes me.

I've done the linking rings silently when gentle music just happened to be playing for all to hear.

I've done a whole set silently at a 10-top of elderly folks at a corporate gig for no other reason than I thought it would be cool at the time.

Not silently but .. I've done the professor's nightmare for some hispanic spectators and had them try to help me do it in spanish. My spanish was/is awful but we all thought it was funny and great interaction. That idea is a great way to make a connection with your audience, btw.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
As mentioned, due to conditions, I've been forced to work silently. Some routines can play well that way....some suffer.
One night, on a whim, I decided to work a few of the tables silent (even though noise was not a factor). I did this for a few of the regulars. The consensus afterwards was, and I quote, "that was creepy".
Several years later I purchases an instructional DVD by Jay Scot Berry that was completely silent.....I thought that was "creepy", also. I've heard some other people are putting out silent instructional DVD's. Why?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 14:33, patrick flanagan wrote:
I've heard some other people are putting out silent instructional DVD's. Why?

Easy! They only speak one language and they figure the majority of the folks who buy their DVD won't understand what they say...so silent is the way to go (in their mind).

For a little extra time they could subtitle the the DVD or for an extra expense, offer the DVD in several languages...or they do it silent and it's a "one size fits all" type of thing...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've worked tons of clubs, bars, etc. that were very loud and forced me to think outside the verbal box and communicate in other ways. Initially, it was actually a bout with laryngitis that forced my hand to mime the presentation. I had NO voice at all, so I winged it, and to my surprise and pleasure, it worked.

The interesting thing is that I believe it will actually make you a stronger performer, even when you are able to speak and be heard. In a sense, the magic becomes more like dance, in that you are using visual elements to communicate, rather than audible ones.

Even practicing you magic silently and to music, will allow you to "hear" music in your head as you are performing silently, even when none exists. Your routine becomes more fluid, and you'll get a sense for the correct level of "exaggeration" required for the venue you are working. Obviously, close-up requires much less than stage work, but this internal script of music adds a certain timing to your delivery. Highly recommended!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Michel -

You want to contact jlevey at http://www.maxmagician.com and talk to him. He and his wife work as "Max & Maxine" and work silently. I personally saw them, some years ago, at a conference in Montreal and can attest to there silent abilities.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Are there any Silent Mora experts in the house?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
When I have been "forced" to perform in a club\band playing\loud music\etc situation, I created a notepad with short instructions like "Pick a Card", "Don't let me see it", "Sign your Name". Thinking about it further...pay attention to a flight attendant when they are giving the safety instructions and maybe you could create hand gestures and have a fully working close-up act suitable for all languages.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-11-10 14:44, Christopher Lyle wrote:

Easy! They only speak one language and they figure the majority of the folks who buy their DVD won't understand what they say...so silent is the way to go (in their mind).

For a little extra time they could subtitle the the DVD or for an extra expense, offer the DVD in several languages...or they do it silent and it's a "one size fits all" type of thing...

Christopher,
I probably should have re-phrased that...lol. I know why they do it. It just doesn't make sense to me. It reminds me of a George Carlin bit where he talks about blues music being played by white people. "It's not enough to know what notes to play....you have to know why they need to be played".

There are so many factors involved in learning and performing a routine. The how's, why's, when's, etc. are difficult,and probably impossible, to translate silently. Sorry if this is off topic. I'll sshhhh, now.
patrick
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I am thrown by the references to "mime magic" equated to "silent performance"

Wouldn't a Mime performance be a parody of a magician rather than actually performing an effect? Is it still mime if you use a prop? I could see a mime successfully walking around a magic convention and pretending to do traditional effects like linking rings, egg bag and even rabbit from hat -- with exagerated gestures anf facial expression being very entertaining.

but, simple doing an aeffect with ut words in in mime.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Good point, funsway. I agree, miming the exaggerated movements of most stage magicians would be quite hilarious.
patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing silently (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL