The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How can I get a set like Whit's? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Whit Haydn's linking rings, I mean. I have been studying for the first time his Comedy 4 Ring Routine, which is so classic it will probably be allowed in heaven. I noticed that the rings he uses are much thicker than the ones I have seen. Does anyone know the specs on Whit's rings or where to find similar ones?
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1439 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I didn't realize how big they were until I saw them up close. Those suckers are HUGE!! I would guess they are at least 12-15 inches in diameter. However, it's the thickness of them that drew my attention. You should just shoot Whit a PM, he is a really nice guy and I'm sure he'll help you. Good Luck. Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22899 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Whit has stated a number of times they are made by Owen Magic.

http://www.owenmagic.com/Club___Stage/Cl......e_4.html

Very expensive Linking Rings, but of the highest quality, a set of 8 cost $675.00 in 2005, so it may be higher priced now. A singe costs $120.00 each, the locking key costs $240.00 each, but Whit does not use a locking key. Contact them for current pricing. This pricing is for the 15", but I think he had a special size like 13" made.

12" size of 8 costs $475.00, singles costs $80.00 each.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Owen does make the best rings on the planet...

HOWEVER...the 2nd best set which is darn near close to the same quality as Owen's is PROLine Rings which are the ones that I use. They are 15 inch rings and are 1/2 thick. They are also less expensive than Owen Rings...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
JOE PORPER makes rings as good as ANYONE and his locker, spinning and multiplying rings are unequaled. See him demo the locker on my site http://www.petebiro.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On 2010-11-10 21:41, Alan Wheeler wrote:
Whit Haydn's linking rings, I mean. I have been studying for the first time his Comedy 4 Ring Routine, which is so classic it will probably be allowed in heaven. I noticed that the rings he uses are much thicker than the ones I have seen. Does anyone know the specs on Whit's rings or where to find similar ones?

Alan:

If you are referring to the set Whit was using at the time he recorded the Comedy 4 Ring Routine instructional video, they were Merv Taylor 10" rings. He moved to the much larger Owen rings he uses now, I believe about 5 years ago.

Doug
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Whit's rings are 15" Owen - he let me handle them at the Unconventional Convention in Cumberland Falls, KY. He said a set of (4) would set you back $750.00. It would take a lot of practice to handle these things. I do his routine with a set of 12" Klamms ($72.00).

Jim
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
...or a set of eight 15" Proline Rings that are 1/2" thick will set you back about $500.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Frankly 12s are plenty big enough. I have 15 and 18s and they are really harder to handle.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Still laughing at the title, Alan...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I know it's not the size that counts. It's probably just a pipe dream.

(The "Comedy 4 Ring Routine" DVD is definitely one of my better purchases in magic. It was copyright 2004, so I can't believe I put off studying it this long. Just like the "Chicago Surprise," this routine teaches highly practical theory, that is, general principles that can really be applied to any magic.)
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
For the record, Owens will make you a four ring set of their 15" rings--you don't need to buy the standard eight ring set unless you want to.

Just call them and speak with Alan Zagorsky--I'm sure he'll help you out.

BTW--Don't forget Whit's advice about the extra single ring. So you might want a five ring set just for those special backstage situations.
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
The Whit Hayden routine is a masterpiece.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
... in Whit's hands.
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
Quote:
On 2010-11-15 18:41, Pete Biro wrote:
... in Whit's hands.

Yes, absolutely,the success of Whit's routine is dependant the wit a comedic delivery of the magician. When you see Whit performing this effect you are seeing magic greatness.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1439 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Hahahaha.. I didn't notice the title until you pointed it out Mr. Mystoffelees.. That's hilarious. Smile Now I'm re-reading my response to the first post, and I'm laughing even harder!!
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
If I am not mistaking I think Karrel Fox use to do a similar routine...
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
You are mistaken.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Karrell did something with a little girl sitting on a stool and used a set of Himber Locking rings. I forget the routine, but there was a "thin" resemblance. Perhaps Whit remembers and can chime in.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Karrell used three rings, and his routine generally involved a little girl from the audience. As I recall it did not remotely have the conceit of the performer being unaware that the audience member has not actually accomplished the task the magician dictates that is the central theme of Whit's routine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How can I get a set like Whit's? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL