The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » I.D. this American figure please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Chapman
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of John Chapman
Hi all,

This is on my local auction site:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-collec......5568.htm

Any ideas who made him?

Cheers, John
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I think that's a Maher figure made by Clinton Detweiler, or possibly Lovik.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
If you email Clinton with the link, he may take be kind enough to take a look for you.

I saw my figure on ebay, and it was listed as a Detweiler pro figure, so I emailed Clinton to ask him. He very kindly got back to me (very quickly, I might add!) and identified that the figure was indeed one of his from around 1972, and that his clothes and paint looked original, but he had been rewigged!

To be honest, I was quite amazed at how much information I recieved as Clinton must have worked on hundreds of figures!

I guess the living mouth may help narrow down the maker a bit - I don't think that there were that many US makers using this method.

Can you get any pictures of the headstick? You would be surprised how much this can help ID a figure (especially if it is signed!)

Regards

Carl
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Clinton didn't make living mouth figures himself. They were Lovik figures that were sold through Maher. In fact, I've got one in my collection myself (though I changed the "living mouth" to a standard slot mouth).

Though I've not seen that exact figure before, the "living mouth" is pretty characteristic.

-Philip
Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
Quote:
On 2010-11-12 00:03, Servante wrote:
Clinton didn't make living mouth figures himself. They were Lovik figures that were sold through Maher. In fact, I've got one in my collection myself (though I changed the "living mouth" to a standard slot mouth).

Philip, you are right, but Clinton still seems able to identify anything from the Maher/Lovik history!

I still think it might be worth emailing Clinton.

On a different note, can anyone name any other US "living mouth" style makers? I would be interested to see other examples. I think these figures often look more "human" like!

Regards

Carl
John Chapman
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of John Chapman
Thanks for the replies. Seller has confirmed it's a Lovik figure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » I.D. this American figure please? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL