The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Orleans Street Performers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
I'm really enjoying the Magic Café. Currently reading through all the posts at "tricky business" and "I'm a real boy" and now I've found the busking forum. Couldn't be happier at the resources and info I'm finding.

I'm planning on doing some street performing in New Orleans beginning in 2011. Nothing regular, but at least once a month. I found licensing info at the website below and a few stories about buskers in NOLA that left after Katrina and never returned. Sad.

http://www.buskersadvocates.org/saanolaartists.html

Are there any NOLA magicians, puppeteers, etc, on this forum? Speak up, if you are...would love to know some tips specifically for the streets of the French Quarter and surrounding area.

Dave
I live on Facebook. Come visit me, I get lonely.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Contact Bobby Maverick, he was in NOLA for the past few weeks and will be going back there today.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Find an open spot on Royal Street (preferably near pirates alley) when it's closed to traffic. That's all you need to know! Any/every other pitch will be taken by locals and regulars.
Honestly, until you've learned to get everything you can outta Royal Street, there's no need to look elsewhere.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dave,

Good Luck on your new venture. NOLA should be a great venue.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3207 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Royal Street anywhere by the French market you can find a spot.

Good luck/have fun!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Depends on what you mean by "beginning in 2011". After the weekend of New Years it is a empty town for a few weeks. If you want to put the hours in you can make a little something but the crowds will not be around till a few weeks before Mardi Gras. Most folks on the street are friendly, the crate slugs are drunk by afternoon and ladderman will yell at you.
French Market area is private now and you need to contact them for any area around the property. You will be moved if you don't. Not really worth the bother.
The streets are first come, first serve. The square by law is legal to work but not all the police know that. Royal is fine but get your spot early. Some folks will switch with you, some will not...just like anywhere.

Come on down, we don't bite...unless you pay for it.
ernie guderjahn
View Profile
New user
Cow flop fairground
71 Posts

Profile of ernie guderjahn
Just a warning frommone who has been there and done that, just before Mardi Gras out of town performers can (and often do) become prison meat for work details used to set up bleachers for tourists to watch the parades, at the time of my incarceration the could hold you for probable cause 72 hoursmwith no official charges, just long enough to set up and tear down the bleachers. I have even seen the out of towners turned in by local street mavens. You want a tougher time join me on the backwater carnival circuit, hope you know to to gaff a tongue hook.
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Well, I know or get to meet about every performer that comes into the Quarter and have never found any of them to become "prison meat".

When was your encounter ernie??

The Quarter is a small town, us locals know what is going on since we know each other.

If you get arrested in New Orleans durring Mardi Gras you sit in jail until court opens...on Ash Wed.
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
Thanks Mark, for the info.

I live in Mobile, just two hours away and go to New Orleans about once a month.

Since Katrina, I miss the some of the old variety street performers. Sure, there's always the ladder guy and the gold painted guy, I miss the magician that used to use the "lighter fluid" on the ground in front of the Cathedral and had birds. I keep in touch with Warpo through Facebook.

Mainly, I wanted to do some performing for the experience, meet some people, and come away with some stories to tell. Not sure, I would be there for Mardi Gras. You know, we, in Mobile, are the true home of Mardi Gras Smile But, as spring time and summer rolls around; I definitely wanna give it a try.

Maybe prior to then, when I'm over that way. (I'll be doing some open mikes at The Den) I'll buy you a beer and pick your brain.

Dave
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Dave,
Come on down, Warpo is a good friend of mine. There are plenty of folks that will be happy to help out...and others who you can ignore.

Looking forward to your visit

Mark
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
Looking forward to it, Mark
ernie guderjahn
View Profile
New user
Cow flop fairground
71 Posts

Profile of ernie guderjahn
Sat in the pokey in New Orleans in 1964 - found the "performers" in the FQ to be very protective, ran into a couple of problems in the Lake P area, beautiful city, loved the book stores - in '86 things seemed to have lightened up some, but in '70s knew of another performer (now dead) that ran into local problems - now I have not been back for a while (you been doing street magic for 43 year?) sure it has changed, hopefully for the better - still have the scars.... mint juleps anyone...
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
What about Jackson Square?

It used to be good for buskers..
The Doctor Knows.....
scottyocean
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of scottyocean
Figured I would revive this topic. Anyone busking New Orleans these days? I was performing a corporate event and decided to check out bourbon. To my surprise, they had a street performer on bourbon at 9 pm. I thought that violated rules. Any news? I think I am going to try my hand.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
" To my surprise, they had a street performer on bourbon at 9 pm. I thought that violated rules."
There's a difference between "the rules" and to what extent they get policed...
The presentation makes the magic.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola, FL
269 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
In July I was in New Orleans and I saw Warpomagic Guy and Rod Cannon. I saw Warpo a couple times over by Jackson Square off of Decatur.
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
I busk New Orleans on a daily basis for the last 9 months. Any questions I'd love to answer as best I can.

Dartagnan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Orleans Street Performers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL