The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What is the best trick or effect released this decade? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
As we are on the cusp of closing out the decade, I am curious to know what was your favorite release during the past 10 years.
I am personally leaning towards the Mindreading Goose though there were certainly many other strong contenders.
Northern California
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Multi Dimensional
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
I agree with multi dimensional. That is a go to effect....
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Tricycle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I don't buy anywhere near as much magic (as in props) as I used to but thinking back, I can't think of ANY effect that has floated my boat since the Millennium - certainly nothing that I have killed for or put into any of my acts.

On the book front (my major love) I would have to give a massive thumbs up to Paul Gordon. He has produced a raft of excellent card material over the past 10 years. I judge written material by assessing how much I take from a book to actually practice then perform. Since the passing of my old friend Joe Riding, I think everything that I've added to my act has been Paul's.

Maybe I'm getting old and miserable; but most effects I see these days are simply old ideas regurgitated. Gone are the days of exclusive releases by Ken Brooke - magic items that actually got me excited!

As I type, I just thought of one gimmick - the Invisible Thread Reel.....but thinking back, I believe I got a couple from Keith Bennett in the late 90's - so these don't even qualify! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The ITR reel was invented in the 1950's and published in the Linking Ring. So it wouldn't even come close as the best of the pack!

I liked Tricycle from the get-go, because it is extremely surprising and it has very high impact. It will even work for multiple spectators at the same time. When I performed this for Father Cyprian four years ago, the look on his face was one of being absolutely dumbfounded! That was good enough for me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Bill, is that the DGarcia item where you let them suddenly see something?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, that's it. Danny Garcia and Luke Dancy put this out. I bought several of them, because it's a staple of my strolling work. (when I work!)

The nice thing about it is that you don't have to be circumspect at all about how you handle the gaff. I used to be almost furtive about the way I worked with it, but I decided to try various levels of boldness with it when I performed. Basically, nobody notices the gaff. When you perform the revelation, it "slaps them upside the head," as we say in Texas.

When I did this for Cyp, it was one of those moments where I felt good about really surprising him. Not so much about fooling him, mind you. The expression on his face was one of wonder.

Quote:
On 2011-01-02 18:00, Bill Palmer wrote:
The ITR reel was invented in the 1950's and published in the Linking Ring. So it wouldn't even come close as the best of the pack!

Actually, I made a mistake here. It was published in 1965 in the Linking Ring. Here is a link to more information:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=133
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

What distinguishes the ITR from the Tornton Windlass and its ilk going back to Germain and before?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you tried to pull IT with a Thorton windlass, it would snap the thread. The ITR described in the Linking Ring article was designed specifically for low breaking point thread, i.e. a single strand from a nylon stocking, as used by Bruno Hennig in what was later known as the Fred Kaps Floating and Dancing Cork.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Witches Almanac is my vote for effect of the decade

Fresh, unique, fun, intriguing, mysterious. Once you get a little familiar with the effect it does not even appear like a magic trick, it seems real IMO.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There has been a lot of interest in the rebirth of Stewart James' Sefalaljia this past decade- beginning with my plastic crate version from The Wizards' Journal #10, and then Tabman's magnificent reproduction in wood, along with a lot of in-between Astro Ball Cabinets that started with the ball in glass and then expanded into semi-Sefalaljia Cabinets by adding more effects and the same kind of expansion among owner of Dean's Box. As a result, there are a lot more haunted boxes of all types out there than there were at the beginning of the decade. It also demonstrates the truth of this forum; that everything old is new again.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean's box.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
It's all so personal. Depends on what works for you. I would put forth "Extreme Burn" by Richard Sanders. It takes Patrick Page's routine to a new level.
I have had an amazing journey with this effect.

Just my opinion,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 10:10, Spellbinder wrote:
There has been a lot of interest in the rebirth of Stewart James' Sefalaljia this past decade- beginning with my plastic crate version from The Wizards' Journal #10, and then Tabman's magnificent reproduction in wood, along with a lot of in-between Astro Ball Cabinets that started with the ball in glass and then expanded into semi-Sefalaljia Cabinets by adding more effects and the same kind of expansion among owner of Dean's Box. As a result, there are a lot more haunted boxes of all types out there than there were at the beginning of the decade. It also demonstrates the truth of this forum; that everything old is new again.

I remember the Milson-Worth version of the ball in glass from the late 1970's.

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 6:41pm
One thing to bear in mind about the different manifestations of Sefalalgia, is that it's not a new trick. So it wasn't released this decade. Maybe dressed up a bit more nicely.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 18:41, Bill Palmer wrote:
One thing to bear in mind about the different manifestations of Sefalalgia, is that it's not a new trick. So it wasn't released this decade. Maybe dressed up a bit more nicely.

If you're going to apply that criteria to the concept of "best trick or effect released this decade" you will have to eliminate every trick or effect that has been suggested so far, including your own Tricycle. They all have backgrounds into past decades and are merely evolutions of very old magic ideas.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The newer iterations of Sefalalgia bring very little to the table. They are simply variations on a principle. They are also very nicely done.

So, what is the most direct source for "Tricycle," which, by the way is NOT my "own." It's Danny Garcia's and Luke Dancy's.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Tricycle, really - a plain sight revelation like that has a precedent in magic? Okay, where?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Perhaps this will refresh your memories:

Perhaps I should suggest this effect from my Dollar Store Magic series for combining magic marker with dry erase marker to bring this old saw back to the 21st century as the "best effect released this decade." Naaaah.

But then there are all those old oriental lettering effects. You guys really don't remember them?

When I said "your own Tricycle" I meant your choice for the coveted (or not so coveted) award that is the point of this thread.

I have no problem with Tricycle. It is a cute trick, but hardly something to make my socks drop off. My problem is with the criteria you seem so quick to apply to everyone else's nominations.
Professor Spellbinder

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not sure precisely what "criteria" you are referring to. I have only one criterion (singular of criteria). That is that it should be reasonably new.

This thing you are showing in the picture has absolutely NOTHING in common with Tricycle. In Tricycle, nothing is taken away.

I do remember all of those (or nearly all of those) oriental lettering things, including the neckties.

The biggest difference with Tricycle is that the card case is sitting there right in front of them and they don't notice that it doesn't say Bicycle. It uses a psychological phenomenon called accommodation to conceal the name of the card in plain sight.

But I'm not going to argue with you over this. You are far too thin-skinned to carry on a discussion without blowing up.

Maybe you are suffering from Sefalalgia, or more properly, cephalalgia.

Not to be condescending, but it means "headache." It's a medical term.

BTW, "condescending" means talking down to someone that you don't think is your intellectual equal.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What is the best trick or effect released this decade? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL