The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What is the best trick or effect released this decade? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mumford
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of mumford
I'm with the guy who started this thread, Mindreading Goose.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The same "psychological phenomenon called accommodation to conceal the name of the card in plain sight" is used in each instance mentioned. But you have your mind made up, so let's drop it. Enjoy your tricycle, and remember that Stewart James, Martin Gardner, Theo Annemann and I spell "Sefalaljia" with a "J."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Truth Seeker
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Truth Seeker
Any Promystic effect! Craig's work is incredible!
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Mindreading Goose.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 17:43, markmiller wrote:
Mindreading Goose.

Quote:
On 2011-02-03 05:16, mumford wrote:
I'm with the guy who started this thread, Mindreading Goose.

Yep! That's what constitutes the best trick of the decade -- urine on command. The perfect ending to a perfect show.

What about for people who don't work in latrines?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Maybe you are suffering from Sefalalgia, or more properly, cephalalgia.

Not to be condescending, but it means "headache." It's a medical term."

doctors -- at least those not trying to confuse people -- just call it a headache.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Come on, R.E. You are missing the whole point. Threads about the best trick of the decade are all subjective. The real point of this thread is to p*ss Spellbinder the Anonymous off. Smile

You should learn how to use the quote function.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1239 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Prohibition by Charlie Justice

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Derren Brown.

Kidding... Smile

I dunno about the last 10 years but for me it's Osterlind's SSB.

I love that thing! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Paul Harris' Nightshades!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is no "best" trick. A great trick performed by an inept performer will look like crap. But a great performer can take a trick most people think is sorry and turn it into a miracle.

A lot of it is subjective. Card tricks leave me cold.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
I can tell you all what sold more then others, but that's not at all accurate as to what is a solid effect. Typically, what doesn't sell often are the hidden gems. Because, no one wants to blast in the Café how great their gem is. There were quite a few solid effects this last decade but it's whats best for you. Like Bill says: A great trick performed by an inept performer will look like crap, and the opposite is true. A great performer can take a weak trick, and through pure performance dazzle a crowd. Gaetan Bloom has released quite a few solid effects. I personally liked Intercessor.
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 19:32, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is no "best" trick. A great trick performed by an inept performer will look like crap. But a great performer can take a trick most people think is sorry and turn it into a miracle.

Yes, I agree to some extent. Yes, Scarne took something like: Do as I do and came up with Triple coincidence.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
TRIO by Astor is pretty amazing, but mention of it seemed to cease a short while after its introduction...

Julie

(For the record, a notable application of this principle is discussed/illustrated in Ken Klosterman's Salon de Magie.)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Not new, but definitely amazing -- The Hooker Card Rise. I saw it performed in L.A. It looks like real magic. It's basically impossible. However, is it the best trick of the decade, or any other time period? I don't think so. For one thing, you can't carry it around. It has to be set up on a permanent basis.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
What a treat you experienced Bill. I am so envious. This effect is absolutely legendary.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 19:32, Bill Palmer wrote:

I've seen some mind-blowing performances of "slum magic," like the plastic ball vase, and plastic cups and balls, that blow people away.

The magician makes the magic.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was performing at a hospitality suite for a company that makes paint products -- very high end paint products for aircraft. The adman who hired me for the suite decided to go to the local magic shop and purchase a large quantity of magicrap. Among the items were some ball vases.

I have a routine for the ball vase that I have never published. It's almost an improv. But it will blow the spectator's mind, especially if they have a ball vase.

If you know any of the variations on the 21 card trick, the burglars, etc., you can wipe out a kid with a passing knowledge of bad magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2568 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I realise that this thread was started in 2010 so the term 'this decade' now only refers to the first 7 months 2 days (at time of writing) of this year.

However, not necessarily the 'best trick' but certainly the best move that I've made over the past few months is rediscovering the wealth of material in Bobo. This was my Christmas present in 1979 (when I was 15, and yep, we only got one present years ago....unlike many kids today!) but I hadn't referred to it for a few years as my love of coin magic moved to cards.

Now I'm back practising coins, I truly can't believe the wealth of material and hidden gems within this book that I missed the first time around.
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2568 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Just to add that if I had to pick the 'trick of THIS decade', then it would undoubtedly be the Tango Ultimate Coin (T.U.C.).

I've no doubt whatsoever that this will still be the case if I'm asked on 31st December 2019!
Barry Allen

"The Rules of the Sleight-of-Hand Artist, are three and all others are vain; the first and second are 'practice', and the third one is 'practice again'.

Edward Victor 1936
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What is the best trick or effect released this decade? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL