The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do Names really matter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Hey - I wanted to know everyone's opinion. Does a stage name really matter? To the booker? To the kids? Do they prefer to have someone like "The Amazing Josh" or does it matter if its just Josh and they call you Josh (or your name...) Do they think of you any different or any more of you if you have a stage name? -Josh-
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Think of it not as a stage name but as a Product name. You are the product that is being sold. The name HELPS sell the product.

IF you sell yourself as Josh then people will see you as plain and ordinary. "The Amazing Josh" you will look a bit less ordinary.

Think about your show and then find a name that matches.

E.g.
Just Joshin'
The Fantabulous Josh
or just:
Josh The Magician

Be catchy, clever and memorable.

I perform as "Tricky Nick" for kids. The kids just call me Nick but the name helps sell WHO I am and creates an image of fun and trickery. For adults I am "Nicholas J. Johnson - Magician Ordinaire."
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I always refer to myself on stage and in all materials as Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts. I believe the Wizard of Sorts part sticks in their mind and should, hopefully, make them laugh alittle. I think it conveys the fact that I am a comic magician.

Nicholas, I love your picture!
Edd
Visit the Wizard of Sorts at http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nicholas:
Very nicely said. Reading my "Trickey Business" post again? haha Just kidding my friend. I could not have worded it any better.

You must look at your name not as a stage name but indeed you are a product that is being sold in the marketplace. Your name and your bi-line must be memorable and tell the client more about the product being sold.

If you look at companies and products in the marketplace, think of what they are called and what slogans they often use. There is a science and a reason for what they call their products.

Say to yourself which slogans and names pop into your head. Which ones do you remember and why?

If you think of it in these terms, you will be able to think of a name that fits your product and that will work in your market.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A fancy stage name will make you look more colorful to the clients, not average and ordinary. It also helps others memorise you for future events.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Put it this way, when people look in the yellow pages, Emazdad sounds much more interesting than Clive, and is more memorable.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Using your name can matter such a lot - especially to the Inland Revenue/IRS (only joking folks)! Yes, you need something that 'rolls off the tongue' - and also sits high up in the alphabetical stakes in directories and listings. I've got a good one - how about Ace Parties? has that been used before? Yes? Well what about 'Amazing Adam at Aardvark Associates 000AAA111'?

Tony.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I've never liked stage names, for the most part. Most of the time, they make the performer seem amateurish. Seems like every hobbyist and beginner wants to have a stage name.

Josh, my suggestion is to go by your real name.

Ron Reid
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-07-17 08:50, Ron Reid wrote:

...my suggestion is to go by your real name.

I think I understand why you see it that way, Ron. Your area is not highly populated. There are not a lot of other magicians competing against you. Areas like mine have a lot of other entertainers. Imagine if there are other magicians near you, the kids would be saying "Which Ron, the short or tall one?" lol
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Once again I would like to simply say that you should really look at your stage name as a product in a marketplace.

Ask yourself what name would your clients most repond to and why. What tagline would tell your client what you do in the least amount of words?
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
IMHO it is important to remembered as
___________(insert your "name here) rather than "The Magician".

Being associated with a "pet phrase" as well as a name can be helpful.

Instead of a business card I now give potential consumers an award card.

An example was yesterday when I was in Dillards with my magical wife, Annie.

She was getting make up at the Clinique (sic??) Counter. An employee who was not waiting on my wife, remembered her and her sister from when they last came in. The woman had a very big smile and even bigger pleasant attitude. I made a genuine comment about the joy she had in her spirit. I said that I would like to give her a membership card in my Nearly Normal Society. It has a space for her name at the top. Her bright smile got even brighter as she got out a pen and filled in HER name. She quipped that she was going to put it in plastic. (laminate it.)

Harris "Palms of Aluminum" Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
When I was in radio, I used a name other than my own. I didn't need teenyboppers calling me at home (I did a two hour love song dedication show once a week). I used the "radio name" because it wasn't listed in the phone book.

For magic, I've always used my own name (there was a time when Gallagher, that guy who smashes watermellons, had his lawyer write to me and ask me to stop) because it was easier to find in the phone book, easier, that is, than Jondini or something of the sort.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I think one of the main considerations should be choosing something that is easy to read & pronounce. I don’t like those gimmicky sounding stage names. I can’t even think of any really well known magicians that have one except ‘The Amazing Jonathan’, and he is trying to look cheesy.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Emazdad came about when my daughters friends started saying, "Emma's Dad, Emma's dad show us some magic" To my daughters friends I'm Emma's Dad or becky's Dad, that's what most adults are known to kids as, so my name slips nicely from their tongues, it's easily recognisable in Yellow pages and people remember it (especialy when they learn how it came about). It's a great ice breaker with the booker. I often get asked whether I have a daughter called Emma etc.

I don't think names like The Great Amazeoro etc have quite the same ring to them. and can sound silly.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Dynamike:

I live in Phoenix - population 3 million. There are a large number of magicians here, but only one with my name (Ron Reid), so I don't think name confusion is an issue.

I still think clients look at stage names as being "cheesey" or "silly". Just my opinion - maybe I'm wrong.

Best,

Ron Reid
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Luckily, I am both 'cheesy' and 'silly' for kids so the name Tricky Nick suits me to a tee.

For adults I don't use my name, Nicholas Johnson but instead use the cunning moniker of Nicholas J. Johnson.

Smile
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Rather than a stage name, I use my own but with the catch phrase "Just Bacon Up Some Fun!"

This is for my magic. As a clown or balloon twister I use a performance name.

Neale Bacon
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Talking out of professional experience and, well, personally.
One mentioned trying to be at the top of the alphabet list - very good point.
So happens I am simply "Dan the Magician" in my neighbourhood. D is close enough cause there aren't many here but even so there are very few people that haven't heard of my name and immediately respond to me and tell me they have heard about me. So I say plain and simple and when they see me perform it kind of suprises them when I am in fact making them laugh their heads off from start to end.
They would never have expected that from a "casual" "Dan".
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
So, Emazdad, is your name pronounced with all short vowels, as in "Emma's Dad?"

Being all techno/info superhighway/computer-y on the Magic Café, I had thought your name was pronounced with two long and one short vowels, as in "EEE MAZE Dad."

Which is it?

Have I been guilty of virtual mispronunciation?

If so, please accept my deepest and most sincere apologies. I am so embarassed by my faux pas!

0pus
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
No apology needed it's pronounced Emma's dad, This is where I said it's a great ice breaker, the odd people says EE-MAZE-DAD now and again and when I correct them and tell them the story they think it's brilliant. When I first decided on the name and adjusted the spelling of Emmas dad to look more magical, The boss (She who must be obeyed) and I had a disagreement about whether I should use 2 M's. I liked it better with 1 and decided the odd mis-pronouciation would work to my benefit as once told the story it sticks in peoples minds. I was right

Some people think it's an anagram of Amazed but then they can't spell proper Smile
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Do Names really matter? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL