The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An Impromptu Demonstration of Mindreading with Playing Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
This manuscript details a three phase routine with playing cards that has earned me a reputation as a psychic with the laymen for whom it has been demonstrated. It is as powerful a demonstration of mentalism as I've ever seen in the real world. It is not available for purchase. The mode of securing a copy is intentionally obtuse to weed out the merely curious. Those desirous of obtaining it may contact me for details.
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Contacted Sir.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Dittos
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Why Playing cards?

Ray
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Please do not reveal the method of "purchase." I'd like the requestors to be surprised. Or disheartened.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Also, when you receive my response, please go ahead and send a brief email detailing your Café screen name. The PM thing tends to eat my pm's, and I don't want to lose your email addresses. Many thanks.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nothing surprises me anymore. I just want to view as many tricks as one can in this lifetime.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
[quote]On 2010-11-13 05:12, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Why Playing cards?

Ray
[/quote

Because it's a card routine...
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I've received many pm's requesting information. The following is a charming pm I received in response to the mode of "sale" of this manuscript.

"Hi John,
I am sorry that I fell for your "little game". How would I know that possessing this would do anything for me ? You presume to put 21 yr veterans of this field to the task with condescending claims and arrogant demands ? I have been inventing and writing magic for magicians, and a well known outfit for many years. My recommendation here would have been a valuable benefit for your character on the Café. If you truly are interested in a beneficial dialogue, please be more respectful of those whom have been members and performers here from the beginning. I don't write 5-7 pages to stroke some upstart's ego. I also recommend that you "recant" your initial post, before someone reveals your bizarre curiosity for the "disheartened".
I would have been more than willing to share my own material and collections of "Impromptu Demonstrations of Mindreading with Playing Cards" with you, without the all the "posturing and jumping through hoops".
Kind Regards"

I have politely declined the offer.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
You can't deny, it is very egotistical. Having said that, writing an essay may help many of us, myself included.
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I'm not sure how it's egotistical. I'm requesting something other than money as a mode of currency. It's not to make me feel important; it's to test a theory about the field in general...
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Maybe its a good idea, I'm not saying it isn't. But I'm not sure people will react to it well. Its like instead of the guy at the local shop asking for you to pay for the beer with $7.80, that you pay him by dancing around like a chicken reciting all the names of the elements to the tune of "Modern Major General". (which YES I can do)
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Ah, Tom Lehrer. Glorious.

I would posit that my hoops are a. not for my perverse entertainment, or b. unreasonably demanding. Most have been very receptive. Only one genuine jerk. Of course, if the requestor is someone I know, I'll send it along without the hoop jumping. And, of course, not everyone is asked for the same thing...
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-11-13 06:49, JohnWells wrote:
I've received many pm's requesting information. The following is a charming pm I received in response to the mode of "sale" of this manuscript.

"Hi John,
I am sorry that I fell for your "little game". How would I know that possessing this would do anything for me ? You presume to put 21 yr veterans of this field to the task with condescending claims and arrogant demands ? I have been inventing and writing magic for magicians, and a well known outfit for many years. My recommendation here would have been a valuable benefit for your character on the Café. If you truly are interested in a beneficial dialogue, please be more respectful of those whom have been members and performers here from the beginning. I don't write 5-7 pages to stroke some upstart's ego. I also recommend that you "recant" your initial post, before someone reveals your bizarre curiosity for the "disheartened".
I would have been more than willing to share my own material and collections of "Impromptu Demonstrations of Mindreading with Playing Cards" with you, without the all the "posturing and jumping through hoops".
Kind Regards"

I have politely declined the offer.

This is to the person who wrote the PM.

Even though I am not really interested in learning or reading about cards tricks anymore, what does it matter if a person wants to have you go through hoops to get the infomation?

I also have invented a few things and have a few things on the market, but what does that have to do with wanting to know this card trick? If a person really has thought of something that may be very good, then why not go through the hoops to check it out?. This alone will put you among the few who did it.

I have paid anywhere from $250 and up to $550 for informations (books). Talk about a HOOP to jump! LOL ...Getting the money wasn't always easy. I am just lucky that I can paid for stuff like this (when the gigs hit just right).

If a person has a routine that they feel might be of great use to others, then I feel respect is all that is needed. Why have egos come into play and thumping of chests when all is asked of you is a simple thing? Bottom line is, if a person wants to know about this routine, all they have to do is follow the guys instructions. What could be easier? ....

As I have already said, I am not interested in learning anymore cards tricks, but if I was, I might just play along and see where the path leads.

A person can sell their wares for $$$$$$$$ or they could ask that you do something that may seem out of place but is prefectly OK to do. Life is filled with ideas and who is to say that rules can't be changed from the norm.

I once played at a club that was looking for another entertainer to fill in for me on the nights that I couldn't make it, which was around 14 days a month. I called a person that I know and told him that he would have to do a small audition to get the spot. He was to full of himself because he has been doing magic for 25 years and didn't feel that he NEEDED to audition. WOW, the owner of the club never heard of him and didn't want to hire a person he didn't know. The guy lost out because his ego was to big for him.

I am just writing this because I find it funny that someone would write a PM like this. I am sure that I have done things in my life that most people never did or really would want to do. Does that make me better then they are?

Ray

Just my 2 cents
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I've got some hoops for sale if anyone's interested.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-11-13 07:52, bevbevvybev wrote:
I've got some hoops for sale if anyone's interested.

How big are they? LOL

Ray
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Massive.
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Garrad
The way I see it is if you have the time and are interested enough and willing to share that kind of info then why not if you have an objection, any objection, then don't; he is not holding a gun to your head. I know I don't have the time and have other more pressing things to do, although as an exercise, if at some point in the future I get more time I may submit it for the hell of it and for the feedback. What I am certainly no, is upset at being asked.
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I'd be interested in trading my version of what your title proposes for yours. Mine is Two Cold CAANS, and it can be found at http://www.jimmyfingers.com/tcc.htm

Jimmy
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Boy, its funny when one has been out of school for so long. I mean going through the first two pages of the essay, writes and rewrites. Lots of torn up paper and then having someone proof what you got. Having to drop the ego and press forward, loss sleep etc.

Just focusing on the prize ahead knowing the reward at the end of the tunnel. The only thing I can relate it to (or is it too) is a marathon which I've run plenty. Wanting to quit but knowing the feeling at the end.

Respectively submitted,

Decomposed

PS: Hope my grammar was okay. I know the quality control people will appreciate this challenge.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » An Impromptu Demonstration of Mindreading with Playing Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL