The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Kenny Talk - a figure who smokes! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
Just looking through the Venthaven pages and found this link to a figure made by Glenn and George McElroy.

http://www.venthavenmuseum.com/fom/figure29.html

The figure was able to blow smoke out of his ears!

I have seen the footage of Jeff Dunham with Skinny Duggan, and he mentions various movements and effects, but not smoking!

Does anyone know how this would have worked? How would the smoke have been generated to be piped out of a figures ears?. I can think how you might be able to use some sort of chemical reaction, but nothing on a small scale that would make this effect possible.

Lastly, has anyone seen a vent figure with really unusual movements? Any you tubetube links would be appreciated!

Regards

Carl
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi Carl,
I would guess after reading the description that says "he is also a smoker" that it probably was cigarette smoke. I restore automatons and I have owned and restored several smokers. The majority of the pieces have a cigarette holder that is fastened to their hand. Connected to the tube and running up the sleeve is a rubber tube. There is a set of bellows with a sliding valve. One position allows the inhale and when you flip the sliding valve over and press the bellows, it sends the smoke out another tube to the mouth or in this case the ears. Since the description says he has a removable tooth and can spit, I would guess he is more like another style of smoking automaton. Behind the tooth is a metal tube in the mouth where if you removed the tooth you would place the cigarette and with a piston in the body which you would pull to inhale, flip the valve and direct his exhale wherever you wish. To spit you would pull water in beforehand, press on the piston and shoot it out his mouth. Just a guess, but I recently built a figure that is self contained in a box and stands up, flips, climbs out of the box, etc, but also has the ability to smoke. I used the second method on this piece. You can also have him play a horn, blow out candles, etc.
veegates
Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
Veegates,

Could you possibly post a video on Youtube? This is something I would love to see.

I like your video of the figure on the trapeze by the way! The Houdini picture is good, but the singing bird is my favourite. A thing of true beauty!

Regards

Carl
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi Carl,
Is that the singing bird cage or the Bird Pistol?
I haven't shot the video for the Demon yet. The piece is a version of Robert-Houdins Harlequin. It is a Demon/Skeleton sort of creature. If you go to my website there are photos and an explanation to what he does. I haven't updated the website for a while, but it is http://www.clockworkuniverse.net
The piece is listed under Soul Stealer (a dark piece)
Also, there are a few pic of pieces I made on photobucket. It is http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af14......obucket/
Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
Veegates,

I will take a look through your pictures. I was referring to the singing bird cage.

Thanks for the explanation about the smoking figure. However, it was a bit like finding out how a magic trick was done! Still pretty cool though!I had imagined it was a dry ice type chemical that was piped up a vents sleeve on up to the figure.

Regards

Carl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Kenny Talk - a figure who smokes! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL