The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jinx (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I just got my Jinx CD. Of course the content is great. I'll give a review of the CD quality and features in a little while when I've had time to work with it.
landmark
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Landmark, where did you buy this and how much did it cost (incl S&H)?
Thanks for the info.
Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
remco de wolf
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of remco de wolf
You can find the CD at http://www.houdini.com .
In Genii magazine it is advertised at 19.95 dollars and 4 dollars for shipping and handling.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-07-19 11:38, remco de wolf wrote:
You can find the CD at http://www.houdini.com .
In Genii magazine it is advertised at 19.95 dollars and 4 dollars for shipping and handling.

Thanks, remco de wolf.
I really appreciate the information.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
The Jinx cd is readily available and most dealers should have it. Both of my favorite local (Boston) dealers carry it.
Smile
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I got the CD and am printing the material out for reading. The material is great! Those who like magic must read this magazine.

Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
This CD is a must have. I found in it a Val Evans effect still used by great names in Magic that kills everyone.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Does anyone have any ideas for printing this out versus perusing or searching for individual effects?

I wonder if anyone has taken this to a print shop for printing the entire CD Content?

I cannot sit here at my desk and view bits and pieces...I might miss some good ones based upon the title alone...I would love to be able to take the manuscript and go through it during my free moments in life?

Any suggestions?
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Rey,
The Jinx is already available in 3 nicely bound volumes. It is available from YFD.
It is a MUST have for your library.
Ted (Leondo)
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Please forgive me Leondo for my ignorance, but what is YFD?

I own the Jinx CD and have tried to scan through things I am interested in, but I would really like to go through the rest in a more comfortable setting than here at my desk...

Many thanks in advance....~rr
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
YFD = your favorite dealer.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Glad you didn't say your local dealer...I'll just leave it at that....Thanks again gents...~rr
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The Jinx bound volumes are only about $20 each--sometimes even less, depending on where you get them.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I prefer having the bound volumes myself. There's advantages and disadvantages to both, but at the end of the day, I'd rather be reading these comfortably on my sofa than staring into a computer monitor.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Although I can't complain about the price--$16 from Daytona Magic, I find the Houdini CD somewhat annoying for several reasons:
1) On my computer, at least (a Mac iBook), I have to enter a password every time I access the file. Yes, even once I've copied it from the disk to the hard drive.
2) The format is a pdf. file that is locked and does not allow one to copy and paste to a word processor. This is a definite shortcoming.
3) The search function, while quick and easy, is not as useful as the search on the ebooks from lybrary.com. Those books actually let you search several books at one time if you want.
4) The print is difficult to read, it being a scan of the original, rather than an html file. The only way to read it on a laptop is to blow it up considerably. But this is, indeed tedious. So my solution has been to print it out. Unfortunately, on a Mac running OS X at least, printing out a pdf. file is a slow process, as it treats each page as a kind of graphic rather than text. (Rey Rey, you should be able to print this out by simply hitting the printer icon on the Acrobat Reader menu. No need for a print shop)

Okay enough griping.

Get this anyway. It's still an incredible value. It not only includes the three volumes of the Jinx but also includes at no extra cost the five Jinx programs. As a nice extra touch it has a list of effects that Michael Skinner chose as he was reading through the series.
You get great magic, and wonderful insight into the mind of one of the greats of mentalism, Ted Anneman. If you're a history buff you get a wonderful peek into the world of magic and New York City night life in the 30s. I definitely want to read a biography of Anneman after perusing this. What an interesting character!
Well that's it for now,
landmark

Oh, I should add that what I've decided to do, after reading the first ten issues, is this: from now on I'm just going to print out one issue every week, as if I were subscribing to the magazine. This way it will last me about three years!
We'll see if I'm strong enough to resist temptation!

landmark
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
" I should add that what I've decided to do, after reading the first ten issues, is this: from now on I'm just going to print out one issue every week, as if I were subscribing to the magazine. This way it will last me about three years!"

lol. That's a great idea! You'll probably appreciate the material better than speed reading and suffering overload or simply dipping in here and there.

Good job you didn't get "The Gen", that ran for 23 years!

I feel with some of the larger magazine collections on CD, some people will not really read them all the way through.

I mean, 2 or 3 of these CD's and you don't need to buy any new books for a loooong time. Great value.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jinx (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL