The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini vs. Boudini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Just posted this on my new Houdini blog, WILD ABOUT HARRY. I think this is one everyone might find interesting. But the riddle remains -- who was Jacques Boudini?

Houdini vs. Boudini: The forgotten challenge
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2010/11/......nge.html
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
As I told ZenCat awhile ago, I had a pet theory about who Boudini actually was. I thought it was Jacob Hyman, who worked under the name J. H. Houdini. Jacob Houdini was close to Jacques Boudini--at least in sound.
I nursed this pet theory for twenty years, then, when Kalush and Sloman were writing The Secret Life, Bill sent me a scan of the newspaper photo.
That's not Jacob. Could it be Rinn? I don't think so, but I haven't seen enough photos of him and none at that age.
Boudini is about Houdini's size. Nice looking guy. Obvious athlete. Someday, maybe photos will turn up of members of the Allerton and Pastime Athletic clubs from the old days. He might be a member of one of Houdini's clubs, or a guy who went to Morningside Park to engage in sports.
He is definitely an accomplice.
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
One of the fellow members of the Pastime Athletic Club... Yeah, I like the way you think. Smile
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Does Joe Rinn mention The Boudini challenge in either of his books?
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
I only have '60 Years' and there's nothing in the index.
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Rinn doesn't reveal any important Houdini secrets in his books. 60 years of psychical research is an expanded version of Spotlight on Psychical Research.
In fact, he does the opposite. He validates these preposterous explanations of the Vanishing Elephant, the Torture Cell, and the Wall given by a bicycle repairman named Adams in Modern Mechanics. He calls Adams, Houdini's chief mechanic, when he knew he wasn't.
In other words, he took Houdini's secrets--some of which he knew very well--to the grave.
He's probably not Boudini.
The Jewish Houdini project which is coming to the Skirball has put out this book which I think says there were three girls in the Floral sisters act.
Anybody know where they got that?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The name Boudini is rather humorous, if you live in the Southeast Texas/Louisiana area. I don't know if this would have any application here whatsoever, but boudin is a kind of Cajun sausage. It's the Cajun equivalent of haggis.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
To echo Bill's post, in France Boudin is a blood sausage.

Le Boudin is the song of The French Fooreign Legion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j52jsQCk6P4&feature=related
"But there isn't a door"
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
In Houdini's imitators scrapbook there is the following satirical challenge:
Chelsea Firemen Challenge Boudini
Chelsea, Sept. 23, 1911
Mr. Larry Boudini,
Dear Sir:--
Hearing that you boldly claim that nothing can hold you, and that you are willing to accept all challenges at the National Theatre next week.
We, firemen of Chelsea, hereby challenge you to allow us to lash, bind and fasten you with 200 feet of rubber hose; said hose to be of the regulation garden variety, on the following conditions:
First. That you submit properly to the operation.
Second. That you will not endeavor to crawl through the hose while you are being tied.
Third. That you allow yourself to be handcuffed while you are being tied.
Once we have tied you, we defy you to extricate yourself.
Kindly give us plenty of time to prepare our tackle.
Awaiting your reply, we remain
Yours, etc.
General Alarm, Chief,
A.L.L. Out, Foreman
Harry Hydrant, Hoseman
Committee
--------------
Boudini accepts the above challenge under the condition that all fastenings be tied so that during his efforts to release himself there shall be no merriment on the part of the audience.
--------------
The Test Will Take Place At
The National Theatre
Monday Evening, Sept. 25, 1911

This appears to be poking fun at someone, probably Houdini. Anyone know anything about this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini vs. Boudini (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL