The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Berglas Book--When is it coming out? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
This book is expected to ship April 1, 2011

will it be April Fools' Day ?
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Hi this is my first posting on the Café.I am also looking forward to the new book "The Berglas Effects".

As I have met David Berglas on several occasions and have even been to his home, I thought this may be of interest to readers.

I first saw David perform on a tv programe called "The David Nixon Show" and at the time, had some knowledge of magic, being a member of a local magic society. However, I was completely fooled by a card effect which I later realised was the "Any Card At Any Number"

Many years later after just getting back into magic, after a 6 year loss of interest, I attended a Newcastle or Northern Magic circle event which David was appearing at. He lectured and performed on the Gala Show, and I was one of the people on stage who was pickpocketed by him.I had The David Berglas File and The Art Of Close Up Magic Vol. 2 signed by him, as he had a chapter in it about "sleeving". This was in 1985.About 18 years ago(roughly), when he was president of The Magic Circle, I rang David.
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I am back. Sorry to end my first post like that, but I ran out of space. When David spoke to me on the phone, I explained that I was to be in London in a few weeks and would like to attend the Circle. He asked where I was staying and I said Enfield. He said that he was in Barnett which was quite near, and he invited me to his house and took me to the meeting. I couldn't believe it. He had posters on the walls of theatre bills where he had been appearing and photos with the rich & famous. At the meeting he introduced me as Mike Douglas (not Donoghue which I found quite funny as he is a memory man). After the meeting he invited me for a meal and asked me to sit next to him. It was great. I remember Ali Bongo(and I think Stan Allen) were also at the table and several other people who I can't recall. I forgot to mention another magician Allan Astra came to Davids house and travelled with us, and on the way back I remember Allan saying to him "are you lost again David" which I thought was funny, as david could find "a needle in a haystack" while blindfolded. When we got back,David invited me in to his home again, and showed me several miracles and even coached me through "Sitting Pretty" & "Spot On" How lucky was that!However, the first thing he did was the "Berglas Effect" and I remember as I was counting the cards on to the table one at a time face up saying to him "this can't be my card, you have not touched them"But it was my card at my number, and I was shocked as everything I new about card magic could not explain what had happend.At the Blackpool magic convention, the living legend David Berglas would allways give me his time and do some magic for me after the days events, and I got to see "The Berglas Effect on at least 8 different occasions. I have photos taken with the great man and a signed copy of "The Mind & Magic Of David Berglas" It's a shame that most of the people on the forum have not seen Mr Berglas do this live as it is nothing like other versions.The deck is on the table before a card or number is chosen( just named no force). No deck switch. Spectator removes the cards from the box & deals from the top to the chosen number turning the cards face up. It's the chosen card. Nothing comes close to this in any other method. David Berglas is a living legend and made me a lifetime fan. Mike Donoghue
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Add from Kaufman and Company:

"This book is expected to ship April 1, 2011.

Reserve your first edition today.

The big hardcover book that reveals the innermost secrets of the card miracles performed by the legendary David Berglas for 60 years, written by magic’s most experienced author, Richard Kaufman.• Almost 400 pages• Oversized, Hardcover• Dustjacket, Inserts, and 3D Glasses • Includes 3 DVDs• Over 60 Pages Devoted to “The Berglas Effect” and “Any Card at Any Number”

The Berglas Effects will not be available from other dealers at a discount.

Contents
Foreword (Juan Tamariz)
Preface
Introduction
Invisible Control
The Magic in David Berglas’s Card Magic
A Closed System
David Berglas Talks About Personality and Presentation
Beware the Obvious
He Never Touched the Deck
Searching for Perfection
Zen in a Pack of Cards
Think a Card
Any Card at Any Number
Small Tools and Party Tricks
Magician’s Choice
Mind Mapping for Magicians
The Set-Up Deck
Jazzing Around with a Set-Up Deck
The Berglas Effect
The Act: The Berglas Effects
Last Word

$125 Postpaid in the U.S. • $155 Postpaid Worldwide"

Can only be orded from Kaufman and Company
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2990 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Is there an advantage to pre-ordering this? I didn't see anything to indicate that the standard run is a limited edition, and there are no incentives being offered at Kaufman's site. Looks like a must-have, though, even though Berglas thought Petty's performance of Mello's CAAN was the "best" he'd seen (that day...?) Smile
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Check that out! A piece of David Berglas interview I have found recently (Martin Breese is the interviewer), after one of his shows at the Caesar's Palace, in the 80's. He is performing his famous ACAAN effect : it's NOT a legend, it is a miracle!

http://soundcloud.com/dodococo/berglas-acaan
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Here are some informations By Mr Kaufman

Three DVDs included .

The first DVD is a contemporary interview with David conducted by Marc Paul. It covers David's life in show business, including film clips of him performing on various TV shows. He performs several card effects for Marc toward the end, and it concludes with an interactive card trick.

The second DVD is "Vintage Berglas," a collection of footage of David performing card magic and more from the 1980s. It will also include a pdf file of David's issue of Genii.

The third DVD is all newly shot material, including a show (entirely cards) David gave in June, plus many additional performances of card effects and explanations.

Each DVD will be two hours.

You will see David perform both Any Card at Any Number as well as The Berglas Effect. And they are described in the book as well.

The book should be between 300 and 400 pages (8.5 x 11). Earle Oakes has already done most of the illustrations.

There will also be a pair of 3D glasses included for something in the book (as well as for viewing the 3D portions of the Genii issue).

I am going to try and keep the price to $100 for the book and 3 DVD set. I think it's a very good price. You'll have to purchase the book directly from me (which is how I can keep the price that low). If I wholesale the book, the retail price would have to be $200. I don't see much point in that. I'll probably ask for an additional charge for Priority Mail, so all books can be shipped safely in a sturdy box and received within a few days. Hopefully this will prevent banged corners and lost books.

There will be a deluxe edition (I'm hoping in leather and in a slipcase) limited to 100 copies, signed by David, and which will include some pieces of memorabilia from his life in show business. No price yet.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
David Berglas interview at Essential Magic Conference

Speaks about ACAAN

VIDEO LINK

http://vimeo.com/19475699?utm_source=Ess......_medium=
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of mindguru
Jean-Luc.R. Thanks for the video I enjoyed it. From the video he makes it seem as though he was just lucky, but I would bet money it was talent.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1109 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Hi all , has anyone else sent funds via paypal direct to Mr Berglas as suggested in Magic week? I did and it's still unclaimed. Tim
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I honestly can't decide whether to buy this or not.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
^ I was about to post the same comment.

I can just imagine people being disappointed with the "Berglas effect" and immediately selling the book.

I don't know if to wait for the reviews of this which I am sure some will be positive, some negative.

Although, for the price we are receiving quite a lot and something that will keep us busy for quite a while; Almost 400 pages• Oversized, Hardcover• Dustjacket, Inserts, and 3D Glasses • Includes 3 DVDs• Over 60 Pages Devoted to “The Berglas Effect” and “Any Card at Any Number”

I haven't made up my mind yet.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Try to order it from geniimagazine as suggested by Richard Kaufman, it worked for me Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
From this interview where Mr Berglas talks about his coming book it is not clear in my mind if his Any Card at Any Number famous trick will be explained as the real and original method or only speculation about it ???

What do you think ?

Quote:
On 2011-02-05 15:26, Jean-Luc.R. wrote:
David Berglas interview at Essential Magic Conference

Speaks about ACAAN

VIDEO LINK

http://vimeo.com/19475699?utm_source=Ess......_medium=
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
I'm not convinced the full berglas effect will be explained.

The blurb says it will be 'described'.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Yes, but in his interview, David Berglas said "Richard Kaufman tried to explain it [the Berglas effect]"
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I hope that mr Kaufman will give some
clarification

From what I understand in this interview it seems quite
Misleading about the real Berglas effect truly explained
Or not
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Jean-Luc, here is what Richard Kaufman wrote previously on the geniiforum concerning your question:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"David performs different versions of Any Card At Any Number--some of which are "The Berglas Effect" and some not. The methods vary depending upon whether he's onstage, closeup, working for one person or multiple people, the exact circumstance, and every other variable you can think of.

His methods are not some simple "secret" or "answer" that you can buy and go off and do the way you would a paddle trick or even a Center Tear.

There will be several methods in the book, but if you think that you can just read any of the methods and then run out and do them within a day, or even a few weeks, you're mistaken.

There is no gimmicked deck, no one secret, and everyone who reads the book starts with the disadvantage that they are not David Berglas."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Thanks for great clarification.

Quote:
On 2011-02-07 14:35, doriancaudal wrote:
Jean-Luc, here is what Richard Kaufman wrote previously on the geniiforum concerning your question:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"David performs different versions of Any Card At Any Number--some of which are "The Berglas Effect" and some not. The methods vary depending upon whether he's onstage, closeup, working for one person or multiple people, the exact circumstance, and every other variable you can think of.

His methods are not some simple "secret" or "answer" that you can buy and go off and do the way you would a paddle trick or even a Center Tear.

There will be several methods in the book, but if you think that you can just read any of the methods and then run out and do them within a day, or even a few weeks, you're mistaken.

There is no gimmicked deck, no one secret, and everyone who reads the book starts with the disadvantage that they are not David Berglas."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I believe this is similar to the Trick that Cannot Be Explained.

Different methods for different outcomes.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Berglas Book--When is it coming out? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL