The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » USD SJ ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I have been trying to figure out how to do a USD SJ that doesn't require a crane or beams and rafters.

Does any one use a portable tripod?

I was thinking six pieces of pipe and three connectors and a large bolt through the top. Portable.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
KingStardog,

David DeVal has a design for something like this in his Secrets of Escapology book. It may be worth having a looksie.

Regards,
James
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear KingStardog, I used to use a portable tripod I made. It had a 250 cm sided triangle made of six mm steel plate, welded to the face and near the points. Three 150 mm long tubes of 50 mm diameter heavy wall steel pipe. A hole drilled in the centre of the eye bolt and block and tackle to hang from.

The legs, comprising of six pieces, 3x3 metre lengths of 50 mm pipe (as above) and 3x3 metre lengths of the next diameter under size. These slipped together (telescoped) and were bolted through the pipes.

Most important was that a chain connected all legs at floor level so the legs would not spread under load. From that I was able to hang upside down and perform the SJ escape.

I can draw it up for you if you like.

Ian McColl
Email me at imccoll@sympac.com.au
Derkomai
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Derkomai
I go to Renaissance fairs and an escape artist who performs there, Broon (Brian Howard), usually just uses a system of ropes and pullies. That's very portable but you need a big strong tree in the area.

Dorian
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wow, Ian perform. I'll love to see that since I heard he never performed before. I wonder what kind of a SJ he used.

Don
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Don, when I was 18 I performed several times in public and many times for family, friends and other small functions. Never dreamed of glory. Don't believe all that others speak about, they never ask questions first! Just make statements!

Cheers
Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » USD SJ ??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL