The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Latko - Fism 2009 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I just found this video, Latko uses a chop cup and C&B in this routine. Very entertaining. Also I learned he is from Argentina, so next time I'll go to my country will try to see him in person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_gYwHrUI8&NR=1
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've seen him do this, live.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1062 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
At 2:39, he went totally out of sight to load his glass and water...
Well done though !
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That ending belongs to Eric DeCamps. This man pinched it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I liked the act...I'm not crazy about the fact that he keeps referring to the item on his left...I can't tell what the motivation is behind it. It looks like he's reading directions or something.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
So Andrew, does that mean you are Latko intolerant? Smile ROFL
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Bri - I thought you said you didn't drink?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

I made no claims about being sane!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Andrew, I have met Bri.
I must admit, he never claimed to me that he was sane.
"But there isn't a door"
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

...but I do have a certificate to prove it!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You have a certificate proving that you're SANE? I smell a fraud Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
He appears to open a set of directions, and refers to them as he begins each phase of the routine. It seems that part of what is supposed to be charming is that the tricks don't work exactly as he expects.

The video is unforgiving and there are a number of tells. I imagine that in a live performance before observers who don't know what to look for or what to expect, it would work just fine.

I have to agree with Mr. Palmer that bringing the stacked cups out of sight is inelegant and unconvincing. I think the idea, however, is good. With some cups, as I think we've discussed before, such as Mr. Sherwood's cups or the Foxy cups, the prominent raised ridges make a stack of cups very deceptive - it is very hard to tell where one cup begins or ends. I think that would lend itself to what this magician was doing.

Woland
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My main objection to Latko's routine is that even though many people have complained about his pinching of Eric DeCamp's intellectual property, he still persists in using it.

I commented about this in 2008 after the combined convention in Louisville. The judges there ignored it. Eric was not a happy camper.

Or a happy "decamper" for that matter.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
That stinks. Never will forget the first time I saw Eric's routine. Absolutely floored by that ultimate final load.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This guy is under the impression that the glass makes it different.

So, it's a blue silk instead of a red one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Is there footage of Eric's routine somewhere? Would be fun to see how the original final load was achieved Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Like Shawn Farquhar and Jason Latimer, Eric has been very particular about keeping this off the internet. I know that Jason's earlier version of the cups has been seen, but they don't work ANYTHING like what he has been doing since the WMS 2 years ago.

Eric is very proprietary about this, and for good reason. Some of the cup makers have seen him perform and have reverse engineered his method. Each time one of them makes noises about producing something that is like it, the word gets back to him and he takes care of the problem.

I once made a very generalized reference to it in a post here without actually revealing the exact method and had my hand called on it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Is Jason's current version different than the one he performed on Craig Ferguson? I know that one is still online. I don't blame him...it seems all to easy to just watch those routines over and over until you've basically learned the moves (of course the more complex routines aren't as easy to follow.) That said, it makes me incredibly hesitant to tape my routine. While I'd love to get feedback from magicians on it, I don't want it on Youtube for the world to deconstruct.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I like the routine anyway, everything based on one theme, with some surprises (small dice, chess pad, chess clock, and liquid on the cup)and mix of chop cup, chink a chink and C&B, very entertaining.

Bill, how was your impression of the routine when you saw it in person?, I mean besides the discussion on Decamps' IP.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It was really strange. It was performed as a stage act, rather than a close-up act. It moved a bit slowly; however, the work itself was really pretty. I was really in his corner until the ending.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Latko - Fism 2009 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL