The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic advise for glasses wearer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I'm looking for a wireless mic.

I wear glasses so I was wondering if there would be a mic that could be attached to the frame of my glasses.
unobtrusive yet close enough to pick up speech.

thanks in advance for any recommendations
Steve
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I would recommend a lavalier instead of a headset. I use a lavalier all the time and don't have any issues with the sound quality. Look at the news people and talk show hosts, they all use a lavalier type microphones for a good reason; they're less noticeable than the headset type.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
"news people" don't have PA systems in their studios to cause feedback, so their choice of lav or boom microphone is strictly cosmetic......and has nothing to do with which one "sounds" better.

Unfortunately, those who use their microphones live and in-person to amplify their voices through a public address system to a live audience sitting in front of them don't have quite the same thought process to go through as somebody appearing on TV and reading the news.

I'm not saying a lav won't work in a live situation, as obviously there are many cases where they do work just fine........but your comparison to news reporters on TV is fundamentally misguided.
Bill Knight
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
318 Posts

Profile of Bill Knight
I also wear glasses but I use a headset mic. I wear it with the piece that is supposed to go over you head, going around the back of my head. I hope that makes sense, it's not written very well.

You can get flesh coloured, very thin headsets, just check out this vid of Michael Mcintyre and look at his headset,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es2l4yUBY6M

Hope this helps

Have fun
Bill
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
www.magicbill.co.uk
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Contact lenses. Unless your glasses are part of your character.

Steve
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Penn Jillette has a microphone built into his eyeglasses.

From a Las Vegas info blog:

Random insider facts about Penn & Teller? You got it! Onstage, Penn’s voice is amplified through the use of a mic, but it’s cleverly hidden, so audiences never see it. It’s built into his eyeglasses. Teller doesn’t need a mic, obviously, because he doesn’t speak onstage. He does, however, chat it up with fans in the lobby after every show.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Here's a diagram from the Countryman website on how to mount a lavalier mic onto a pair of glasses:

http://www.countryman.com/download/CAI%20AN004.pdf

That said, you should probably take a look at what Dan McLean has to say about wireless mics, if you've not done so already:

http://www.magicroadie.com/
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks for the tips guys.

Time to experiment.

Steve
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Please report back with your findings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic advise for glasses wearer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL