The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kung Fu Movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yeah, Carradine did not do a good job...

Sorry, could not watch it after a few minutes.

Too much of a Lee Jun Fan fan I am... Really.

Sad that Lee could not realise his full dream in motion picture.

BTW, the first "Ong Bak" was really good, "Tom Yum Goong" was okay... Then it went downhill for me... Too bad, Tony Jaa had potential to be a breakout MA Star.

Forgive me but I LOVED "Bloodsport"! (It's highest worlwide box office rating was in my country, Malaysia, as told by Van Damme himself... Smile)
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I would bet that I have seen more Kung Fu movies (or, alternatively, that I've watched more cumulative hours of Kung Fu movies) than anyone else here at the Café.

My conclusion: they're all good. Even the "bad" ones.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2010-11-26 14:47, critter wrote:
Speaking of "The Silent Flute" ... That movie may not have had the best martial arts but I would still say it's important for how it presented the philosophy.

Most people I know laugh at the philosophy. But it's straight Buddhism, simply and clearly explained, and my life has been enrighed by it. If you want more (only a little more complex) listen to or read anything by Alan Watts.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Or The Buddha.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Being a Wing Chun practitioner, IP MAN is now my favorite, but love Kung Fu Panda.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Some Jackie Chan Movies are really good imo... Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I might get flamed for this but...

The original Karate Kid Movies were really good imo... (The Trilogy)

The techniques were "Hollywoodish" but the Acting and Martial "lessons" were great...

And RIP Pat Morita ("Mr. Miyagi"), one of my all time heroes.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Pakar, I won't flame you. They are ALL good.

Maybe even the one's you've been in.

:lol:
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I wouldn't flame you for that either. I love all of the Karate Kid movies. The first one is (naturally) the best. I think part 2 is probably my favorite of the sequels, although I did like the third one a lot too. And even the girl one mentioned above. Best part of the Karate Chick was the monks and the rock garden.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I like the karate kid movies (the first two, I didn't see 3 or the new one)

I also liked Stephen Hayes' critique of the attitudes some people came away from the movies with, it was along the lines of:
Sure it would be great to have a teacher who will teach you for free,
who will beat up a bunch of kids that you pick a fight with,
That will give you a car on your birthday,
that you can get mad at, question and insult and will keep teaching you (for free)
etc. LOL Smile

Again, not actually a critiques of the movies (which were partially based on Don Angier soke's story), but of the kind of things that some people expect of a martial arts teacher.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
In the early '70s I was studying Pai Te Lung Ch'uan Shih Yang (White Dragon Fist Style Kung Fu) and I remember watching "Return Of The Dragon" 11 times in various walk-in theaters throughout the county. I would drive up to 90 miles to see Lee movies. I loved all of Bruce Lee's movies. I remember the general mmanager of our Kwoon also owned a drive-in theater in Rockledge, FL and used to host "all nighters" there featuring Kung Fu movies...

I still watchem'...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Luckily I didn't have to drive 90 miles. Back in the day, downtown Honolulu had a Golden Harvest theater that showed nothing but Golden Harvest films, and a similar theater for Shaw Brothers films, and a HUGE old-style theater (the kind with the expensive fancy curtains) that showed everything else. I would watch a double or triple feature at the cheap theater, and a Bruce Lee or Shaw Brothers film on Sunday afternoon at Matinee prices. Friday was for Hollywood blockbusters like Raiders of the Last Ark, though it was often impossible to get parking on Friday night and I'd have to go home disappointed or catch a lesser film at the local shopping mall--or a slasher film at the local drive-in. I also watched a ton of movies there. Sometimes I wonder how I finished high school or learned to play the guitar--it seems I was always at the movies.

I still watch Bruce Lee movies at about the rate of once a month or so. I seldom watch Game of Death, however. Usually I watch Enter the Dragon, which I estimate I've watched four to five times per year since I've owned a DVD player, and which I watched probably once per week from about the time I got my first VCR around 1980 until around 1990 or so. Then it tapered off. But a good guess is that I've seen ETD maybe 700 times. I usually exaggerate and make it a clean thousand. Smile

Other than Bruce Lee my favorites are the 36th Chamber, the Magic Blade, Ninja Death I-III, Encounters of the Spooky Kind, and for modern stuff, Hero.

It has been a great disappointment that I haven't found any of those obscure films I loved the most. I would LOVE a DVD of this one movie in which they had a scene in which guys were fighting each other with really long tongues, for example. But I don't know what it's called or how to find it. I suppose there are probably people in kung fu movie forums who would know, but who has the time to join yet another forum?

Anyone here heard of such a scene?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I haven't, but a nothing but Shaw brothers theatre sounds like the coolest thing ever.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The Golden Harvest theater is no more: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6334/

This article identifies the really big theater as the Empress. http://midlifecrisis.honadvblogs.com/200......-movies/

A bit of Googling fails to unveil a Shaw Brothers theater. Perhaps I am misrembering? It has been nearly thirty years?

Anyway, the comments in the second article show that I wasn't the only one headed to Chinatown every weekend to watch Kung Fu flicks.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Fighting with their tongues?! Smile

I have seen that but it wasn't Kung Fu though... Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 12:40, stoneunhinged wrote:
Pakar, I won't flame you. They are ALL good.

Maybe even the one's you've been in.

:lol:

You would like the ones I've been in. Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The greatest Kung Fu movie ever is called Ninja Caught in a Deadly Trap. It's not a Ninja movie , it's pure kung Fu.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sorry, it's called, Ninja in the Deadly Trap.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Movies!

Forgive me... Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Actually, I liked the first TMNT flick. That one stuck closer to the original Eastman & Laird comics. It was only after the Tipperites decided that they went too 'adult' in the first one that the sequels got goofy.
An all time classic line- "Ninja kick the **** rabbit!"
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kung Fu Movies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL