We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Juro Danny O'Day (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
My first ventriloquist doll, like so many other vents, was a Juro Danny O'Day. I received him for Christmas in 1971. He wore a tan/gold suit with a red bow tie and shirt front. Later, Redoy Puppets in Ft. Collins converted him to a simple headstick and hollow body(framed wrapped in stiff cardboard)

I've been searching eBay lately in an attempt to recover some childhood memories(Big Jim and Major Matt Mason action figures) and I have also been searching for that style Danny O'Day.

Plenty of "vintage" Dannys, but none in that suit. Anyone here know if I'm chasing a dream that may just not be available anymore? The later models are dressed in almost clown clothes. Ugly plaid jackets. Why the change?

Dave
I live on Facebook. Come visit me, I get lonely.
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
Hope no one minds, but I'm replying to my own post so as to bump it up. I'm hoping someone new might read it or some of the regulars have something more to say about the subject.

To add to it...This was a 28-30 inch Danny from JCPenney. I understand that different catalogs carried different versions.

Thanks for taking a second look at this post.

Dave
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I have one of those old headstick Dannys, but he has the plaid outfit. I don't remember seeing the other outfit myself, the outfit you're describing sounds more like ones they had on Jerry Mahoneys.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Check with Clinton Detwiler of Mayer Studios, I think his son Kevin still makes those conversions.
Chuck
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I don't think it's finding a converted Juro that's his main interest, I think it's in finding a Juro like the one he had in the same type of outfit.

Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
My Danny came with his Texaco gas station suit as in the Texaco All Stars, Milton Berle TV show.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
You know, I believe it was the Jerry Mahoney with moving eyes who wore that gold jacket. I could be wrong...but I had that one...and I'm pretty sure he had a gold jacket and red bow tie.

-Philip
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
Phillip,

I have childhood photos of Danny in the suit, and I've seen the smaller Danny's in the suit as well. I know it's a small thing, but it has to be that Danny that I want.

I regret the day, that I got rid of him, because I thought of him as just toy, after acquiring a professional figure. We do strange things in our youth to be adults, and as adults look back to having our youth back. Luckily, Clinton Detweiler was able to repair my Maher Crazy Bird and save him from years of neglect several months ago. I'm also searching for the original maker of a soft frog puppet I also have in need of repairs.

Dave
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Dave...
Okay. You'd know better than I. My early figures were Jerrys (That's what was featured in the Spiegel catalogues in those days!). I've still got the moving eye figure downstairs in a box, but I began some work on his face maybe thirty years ago, took out the eyes to re-set 'em, lost the eyes and the body in a divorce.

I understand about wanting to find the toys and treasures of our youth. And each one MUST be identical, else there is no resonance.

I'll keep my eyes open.

-Philip
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
BTW, I finally posted one of those "New Arrivals" posts here at The Café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=42&0

And to update, I found a few auctions at eBay featuring almost what I want in a Danny O'Day doll. I'm watching the bids to see where they go.

Thanks

Dave
Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
Dave, I believe I have found what you are looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/dn-DANNY-ODAY-VENTRI......b316261e

It only has two days left, but the price isn't high, and it looks to be in good shape.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Okay, now seeing one from the link Matt posted, I do remember the Dannys with those outfits.

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Hey Dave, here's another Danny dressed the way you were looking for;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Danny-ODay-V......61c92f72

Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
And there was my vintage Danny in his Texaco suit. 1952 is when I got mine.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
Thanks Matt and Blueshawke and I saw the Texaco one too. Much appreciated,

Dave
dannyoday
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of dannyoday
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2010, DaveRobison wrote:
My first ventriloquist doll, like so many other vents, was a Juro Danny O'Day. I received him for Christmas in 1971. He wore a tan/gold suit with a red bow tie and shirt front. Later, Redoy Puppets in Ft. Collins converted him to a simple headstick and hollow body(framed wrapped in stiff cardboard)

I've been searching eBay lately in an attempt to recover some childhood memories(Big Jim and Major Matt Mason action figures) and I have also been searching for that style Danny O'Day.

Plenty of "vintage" Dannys, but none in that suit. Anyone here know if I'm chasing a dream that may just not be available anymore? The later models are dressed in almost clown clothes. Ugly plaid jackets. Why the change?

Dave

I have that exact same one, I could sell it for maybe $75-$50- It even has the pamphlet AND record
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Juro Danny O'Day (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL