We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Evangelist Busking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I was wondering if it would be possible to share Christ while Busking. This could get opposition from both the crowed and local authorities. So I would think in most situations a less direct approach would be suitable. Being a positive message without religious material causally mentioning being a Christian and that you enjoy helping people or whatever. It would be better to have a direct approach however that could get opposition from both the crowed causing them to dwindle. Plus the authorities shutting your show down. When asking for tips I would probably mention that part of them go towards a good cause whatever that may be and if you are doing that. It makes a good heart warmer and gets your intentions out more without being offensive.

As for more direct approaches I would say to be at a missions event or other Christian event like a Christian concert or conference. In the end you could pass the hat with the same line or just say your doing it for free if anyone mentions tips. Even leaving out a container for them as you perform.

Type of act would also be something to think about though. Of which I am unsure because I have only had the chances to bust twice. Soon enough a third time and when I am done with school full time. Anyway I know you can buy effects with Christian messages. Depending on your approach you would do different things. Any thougts on my post would be great.

P.S. I suppose I couldn't do this yet and should walk before I run but is a great idea.

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 12:25pm
I was thinking and I wonder what art forms besides magic could be used to evangelize while busking. I would think magic would be the best one. However what about juggling may be difficult to talk a lot while concentrating and juggling may not be good for presenting a message. Mimes would most likely be out. Musicians for sure could do it. Escape artists could demonstrate escaping the bondage of satin. There are also acrobats, and puppet workers, etc.
Jeremy Gates
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Hi Jeremy! Smile

I think what you want to do is great.

If it's alright, I'll make a few suggestions.

No matter what we do in life we should always try to be good witnesses for Christ. Sounds like you already know that though.

It's all about your inner intentions for wanting to go out busking. If you want to take your witnessing to a level of evangelizing using magic as a tool, I would suggest not asking for money. It would be encouraging to see your church help sponsor you, or something along that line, rather than go out and perform magic, then evangelize, then ask for money.

When I witness and evangelize on the streets using magic, I perform a few magic effects, and as I get into bringing God up, there are a few things I found that work very well for me. I don't know if they would work well for others though. Here are a few.

I would just be finishing up an effect, and I just blatantly ask if anyone believes in a God. (I don't even make eye contact with anyone when I ask the question. I usually play with my deck of cards, or whatever is in my hands at the time.)

It's a harmless question which most of the time gets the conversation going. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to talk about God, positive and negative. Sometimes I've had to try and bring some closure to the conversation so I could present the Gospel message.

After allowing them to speak their mind, they don't usually mind hearing my opinion, and expressing my faith. It's done in a laid back, but confident way. By confident, I mean in our faith and in the Fact that God is with us. It is God through us, and we are His vessels. But, even though we are just vessels, we have to be submissive to the Holy Spirit.

Another way I've gone from magic effect to conversation about God is by simply introducing myself by name and saying that I am a Christian soon after I perform my first effect. It's not one of the approaches I favour, but only because it works on the rare occassion. One of the drawbacks to this approach can be that they very politely thank you and walk away. One of the benifits is that when they don't walk away, and are open to hearing what you have to say, you can put away your magic effects and talk about your love for Christ. Maybe even get an opportunity to evangelize to them right off the bat.

Another way that the conversation of God comes up is when someone recognizes my attire. I try most of the time to wear one of my shirts I purchased from a Christian clothing store. They look sort of like those mma shirts, but these shirts are Christ based.

The approach and the transition from magic to Gospel was very tough for me at the beginning. It took actual experience to learn how most people respond, and why they responded that way. People more times than none are polite. Even the street folks I meet and talk with. Having great people skills is a plus.

I usually go to a local park downtown where street folks hang around, and drug dealers too as I've found out a many times.(lol) Even young street folks have an ear to listen when I talk about Jesus Christ. Before I even talk I am willing to listen to what they have to say. I don't listen to give them just a chance to talk, but because I am seriously interrested in what they have to say. I never take offense to anything they say. Listening to them gives me a very good idea on who they are, and where they are at in life when it comes to spirituality. It also gives me idea's on how to approach them with the message.

There are times where I actually perform a trick where the presentation of it is strictly Gospel.

One last thing I may suggest to you. Don't go alone. Get some of your other Christian friends to be part of the team. It's always good to have extra bodies with you. Or, even better, get your church involved if possible and put together an outreach team.

These are just some quick idea's and suggestions that I can give right now due to time straints. I just want to say that from my own personal experience with evengelizing on the streets is that most people are willing to listen when I am willing to listen.

It's not easy out there either. It didn't take me long to realize that David Blaine and Ray Comfort's success was largely due to someone walking around with a large video camera. I'm not ditching either of them either. What I'm saying is that getting people to stop to watch a trick or to hear the Gospel is not as easy as it looks on t.v.

You should also have a plan together, or have a good idea what to do when someone wants to receive Jesus for all the right reasons. A follow up plan as well.

I'll stop for now, casue I can go on and on and on. Smile

I've been doing it for a few years now, and I'm still learning new things.

God bless Jeremy!

Dan

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 8:34pm
I should also mention that when busking, most cities require you to have a license and or permit. It would be wise to obtain one and found out what the by-laws are. Also, if you choose the path of busking for money, it's alright to let them know you are a Christian, and even witness to them if the opportunity arises. In regards to busking/evangelizing and asking for money, I don't think that would go over to well.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Thanks Dan you have been of help in the past and I value your opinions. You have many great points and perhaps money would be a bad idea. Any other information would be appreciated I too love to listen. That is how I end up having people asking me for advise all the time.
Jeremy Gates
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8794 Posts

Profile of funsway
There are poems and stories with a Gospel message that can be presented to a mixed/unknown audience without fear of negative ffedback becasue they are part of Americana. You could use magic effects as visual aids during the interpretive reading, providing entertainment as well as establishing your self as both a magician and Christian. You then could be prepared to follow up in several wasy, including being asked to perform at more private. Live the Gospel first, then worry about a specific message.

check out "General William Booth Enters into Heaven" -- Vachel Lindsay

this requires a lot of chops to present properly but will have everyone cheering ragardless of religious persuasion. With new portable electronic the music is not a difficulty either.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
J.G. the magnificent

My act includes magic, juggling, escape, fire eating.
I busked in a couple of different cities this last year with a tip jar that said
ALL TIPS GO TO MISSIONARIES IN TRINIDAD!
It worked best when I brought out the tip bucket in the middle of my act while explaining what it was.

(If you don’t ask they don’t pay!)

I have also done my act in a couple of other countries, I find that it works well if you PRAY, listen to God & plan ahead, I did scheduled shows for communities, churches, schools, orphanages, etc…

I hope this helps!
PM me if you have any questions or want to talk

George

Quote:
On 2010-11-29 20:34, Gospel Dan wrote:
In regards to busking/evangelizing and asking for money, I don't think that would go over to well.

Very True!
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
"We are not as so many, peddling the Gospel..."
swifthand
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swifthand
Do you feel it's compatible? I've always had mixed feeling about magic and faith, magic seems about deception and talking about your faith is something very different. I guess if you're very open about it being a trick - my worry is you end up in 'James Hydrick' situation where you start claiming that everything is real, including the magic!
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Don't know who James Hydrick is but I will look him up. I would say though that it really depends on weather you haves comedic innocent magic. Not too mysterious or Mindfreak type things. I think people can really tell your intentions and character based on the situation. I don't have much experience yet but that is my opinion and I think this discussion applies to an extent. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=16
Jeremy Gates
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
Accepting money to help a ministry of some sort sounds like a good idea.

As someone who sits on the fence about religion, yes I know being neither hot nor cold is a terrible position, I don't like the idea of sharing your faith through a faith-based routine while busking. It seems it would deter the people you would actually like to engage. Starting up conversation between tricks seems, to me, the best way to talk about your religion.

None of this is based on experience, though, since I have never busked.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Personally, I cannot imagine accepting money while doing "Gospel street magic." I am going to attempt having a little table just off a very busy beach waterfront sidewalk area this summer- with a permit- and I know for sure I will not be asking for a dime (and will not accept any money either). Once you start asking/implying this "Gospel magic" routine is for money- then one's protected "free speech" arguments fall apart- especially if asked about it by an onlooker such as a park patrol/ranger (and where no solicitation is posted and/or prohibited).
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Wow. Magical busking with a religious message -- and I'm a believer in the First Amendment, so whatever the religious message might be -- would be like the ultimate in evangelism. Good for you. As you go forth, please know I'm cheering you on in the background. My church serves a very needy neighborhood, where people come to our community garden to get food. I doing some magic might put a smile on their otherwise frazzled faces. You've inspired me here. Thanks.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
A worker is worthy of his wage...

I busk with a message. I warn people up front, that "We are going to have fun, you will be amazed, amused and entertained, and along the way, I will talk about God."

Few people if any walk away. And of the ones who stay, they get what I said. And I do what I said. Every effect isn't tied to a verse, but most include a strong illustration about God at some point. If I do see some thinking about walking away, I simply explain that God didn't leave when they got here, so they shouldn't leave just because he will show up. That is closest I get to "Guilting them" to participate.

And at the end of the show, I pass the hat, and usually cover my expenses. Throughout the show I use hat lines that encourage them to contribute, but that part is about the magic, and the money. I don't tell them that God is watching, or any other bad anaolgy that somehow God won't be happy if they don't pay me.

God is glorified, and I plant seeds, and I get paid. What is the difference between what I do, and what a Church Pastor does, except that he get paid to preach to the Choir. Don't mistake what I am saying here as any kind of criticism to Pastors who Honor God and bring His Word to life each Sunday. I respect what they do, and keeping a flock moving in the right direction is a job that I sure don't want. But we are both working for the Kingdom. They do what they do, and get paid, and I get paid for evangelizing.

BroDavid
aka Doctor Cognos
The Doctor Knows.....
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Biblically? There are several huge important differences between what you do and what a Pastor, Minister, or Priest has been spirually called to do.

If you are a Christian witness who happens to be a professional busker I see your point. However, if you are evangelizing using magic as a tool, to meet people, asking for money at the same time doesn't seem right at all to me. And, I don't think it's a great way to be a Christian witness,
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

So what your saying is if you are to use hat lines while evangelizing make your act innitially of performing. Using a little bit of preaching and not using lots of evangelism with little tricks hear and there then asking for money.
Jeremy Gates
SSG
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of SSG
My crazy idea:

- Do your set.
- Pass the hat, promising one more magic trick at the end.
- Do a trick that presents the gospel message.
- Invite anyone who gave you money who was offended by that last trick to take their money back.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

I love that one SSG I do see where some may be offended by it though.
Jeremy Gates
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Evangelist Busking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL