The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Antique gambling books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardsExpert
View Profile
New user
Paris
31 Posts

Profile of CardsExpert
Hi folks,

I wonder if you could help me with finding those copies. I am only interested in first editions.

- Play Sucker and Pray, by Paxton H. Dent (1930)
- Wanderings of a Vagabond, by John Morris (1873)
- An exposure of the Arts and Miseries of gambling, by J.H. Green (1843)
- How Gamblers Win, by G.M. Evans (1868 second edition)
- The Little Secrets, by Frank Bonville (1904)

Thank you very much for your help.
Have a good day
Marwan

http://cards-expert.com/
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1252 Posts

Profile of splice
Sent you a PM.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I know it's not on your list, but there is a guy who gives away first editions of "Expert at the Card Table" over in the workers section.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-11-30 10:25, Marlin1894 wrote:
I know it's not on your list, but there is a guy who gives away first editions of "Expert at the Card Table" over in the workers section.

LOL!
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1681 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
CardsExpert,

Before you buy a copy of How Gamblers Win, PM me. You can easily be fooled into buying a copy that is NOT a true 1868 edition. That book was reprinted in paperback form as late as the early 1900s. They look very much like the older paperbacks that were (probably) printed in the late 1860s or early 1870s, but they are not identical. I have two hardback copies of this book that are almost certainly the only true 1868 editions. (I'm not saying I own the only 2, just that the true 1868 editions are probably all hardcovers.) I know of several other hardback copies of this book, so they're out there....

I believe the Bonville book The Little Secrets exists in only a single known first edition. Good luck.

Wanderings is available as a cheap reprint from Amazon. Read it before you invest in a first edition. A first (in my opinion) is a $200 book. Don't pay more than that. They come up fairly often.

A 1st edition Green book is very tough to find, but they come up every 4 or 5 years usually. This is another book that you should buy in reprint form first, read it and then decide if a first is what you really want.

I have the Paxton book. Not worth pursuing in my opinion, but I don't want to sell my copy.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Antique gambling books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL