The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KJfan
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of KJfan
I want to know your thought about the origami illusion.
Does it worth the price that wellington and Gaughan asks?

Thanks
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Well what I am going to say is MY PERSONAL OPIOIN!

The Origami is a wonderful illusion. The reaction it gets is amazing.

I can assure you the Gaughan prop is flawless. Very well built with the finest materials.

The Origami is the Zig Zag for the 90's. It seams no matter what show you see, everyone has one. There are allot out there. And it seams to me it's been preformed to death. But that could just be personal opinion.

If that does not bother you than go for it.

I will be honest with you. If I was buying one I would go with Gaughan model.

Hope this helps,
Mike
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Origami is a wonderful illusion indeed. It is tested and true to get great reactions from any audience.

The illusion is built very well and you probably will never have a problem with it. If you can afford to buy one, then I would reccomend it.

Just keep in mind that you will have to find methods for transferring it to and from the show and it is quite an investment.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
As said before, Origami is performed by many, many performers. However, it is one of the most incredible illusions out there. I have never worked with a Wellington, but a friend of mine has one & there are issues he doesn't like.

I have a Gaughan model, and can assure you that it is worth every penny, and then some.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I would go with a Gaughan model myself. The illusion is beautiful and worth it for sure. Just as I said before, make sure you will be able to use this illusion in your shows, since it really is a big investment.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
How much for a custom made one? Anyone have a good guess? Thanks...

Smile

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
A lot depends on how far "custom" you want to go. Custom finish, special theme, extra options, etc. All of these factors that you might wish to incorporate will affect the price, my best suggestion would be to simply call Mr. Gaughan, or Wellington and ask about these things.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks for the info...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
KJfan
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of KJfan
It costs a lot of money.
In materials should be around $500.

What people say about this?

Regards
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
The raw materials for Origami cost John Gaughan or Wellington much more than $500. Not to mention the highly skilled labor / knowledge that they put into the finished product. Plus, the Steinmeyer performance rights...
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I believe that Wellington and Gaughan are the only ones who have the rights to produce the Oragami aren't they?
Zaubern Smile
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Yes they are, despite the fact that many others think they have the "rights" to.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Tell me, mister Steinmeyer holds a patent or right for this illusion? Not a secret, that in other countries this illusion issue not worse on quality but many times more cheaply. Smile
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
719 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
I will second, third, and even fourth what has been said before about this illusion. While it has proved successful for many performers like S&R, DC, and countless other touring professionals, this effect is done to death. NOT,however, without a breath of hope. While Johnny's original Origami is still a great piece of magic, there has been GREAT improvements to it since the effect came out. Not to the apparatus itself, but to the presentation. I believe it was Greg Frewin (check me on this guys)who remodeled the presentation to make it look like broken pieces of mirror and given the box a little more industrial look. Play around with this idea and see if you can update the effect a little. I know Andrew Mayne has a "SIMILAR" effect with rusted pieces of metal. (Not the origami, more of a sword-box) But good luck in your ventues.
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
This effect is done to death because of the countless rip-off versions. If everyone had to pay the price of the real deal and fee to Jim Steinmeyer it would be a better world.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Ray Anderson
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Ray Anderson
I agree with Zigmont.

I purchased an origami from John Gaughan about 8 years ago. At that time, the origami was seldom seen in everyday working acts. After a few years, the rip-offs started appearing everywhere. Unfortunately, several magicians in my area then acquired these inferior models.
Not only did the illusion become saturated in my market, but the illusions were so badly made that it was suddenly much easier to figure out. I finally had to take my origami out of rotation in the show. I purchased this illusion thinking that it would last many years in our show. Sadly, it only lasted 2. It was one of my favorite illusions to perform as well.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Over at another board, we came up with some rough numbers on the amount of legit origami's. I believe we came up with a number somewhere between 65-85.

Unfortunately, a magician around the Indianapolis area just recently bought one of the knock offs from over seas, imported by you know who. Gaughan built ours back in 2000 and i know that most of our audiences still have never seen it performed and it routinely ranks as one of their favorites in our show.
Yes it is Frewin that does the broken mirror version and restores the mirror to complete. There is also another act that designed thier box to look like a castle...and the girl is placed, for safety, in the castle.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Caspian St. James
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
4 Posts

Profile of Caspian St. James
I have been contemplating purchasing an Origami for some time. If it is over performed, are there illusionists out there that would consider selling this prop? I have yet to see it on magicauction (although I have not checked it as often as I should).

I refuse to buy a prop by an unauthorized builder- not only for ethical reasons but I would rather have a used Mercedes than a brand new Daewoo.

Being new to this forum, I am not sure where to post different questions- but since the Origami was one of them I though I would start here.

1. What is the best asrah on the market- Owens? Is there a vertical asrah on the market?

2. Any strong opinions on the Blaney suspensions? Is $10,000 worth it for this one effect, when you could purchase two good illusions for the money?

3. Is the site illusions4sale still active? I cannot get a response from anyone there.

Ray- are you still performing at Esther's Follies? I saw your act in Austin several years ago. It was a great time! Nothing quite like 6th st...

Sorry so many questions- I appreciate any feedback that you guys can offer. Smile
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
I bought my origami back in 1992 when it was new. It was the second one that wellington made. I suggest that people interested in a new illusion contact Jim Steinmeyer - Mark Parker - Bill Smith to get the newest illusions the market has to offer and forget about origami. I have plans from all the above with new illusions, some have never has been built and that would be REAL CUTTING EDGE!

I bought a Blaney ladder suspensions with the silver hoop back in the 90's and sold it in 6 months. It does have weight and angle limitations.
It's not a powerfull illuion, just a glorified super x and way overpriced. Remember its a 30+ old idea. Copperfield had a great routine that made it famous.

Willie kennedy has made the gimmick for just about all the builders at one time or another. It's really all about the table design. Then the lighting design....

illusions4sale- is out of business..............

One more point, the average new illusion 2003 seem to be around 8250.00.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Ray Anderson
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Ray Anderson
Hey Caspian,

Yes, I am still at the Follies. I am now in my 15th year with the show. Time flies when your having fun.

I have seen authorized versions of origami on Magic Auction from time to time. I think that the reason you don't see that many used units for sale is that the illusion is so good. Even though I no longer keep the illusion in regular rotation, I would never part with it. Mine sits on a very high shelf backstage. We use it as a backup in case another illusion has problems during the show. I also use it for the few corporate gigs that I do each year. For what its worth, this illusion still gets a great reaction when I do choose to perform it.

Hope this helps,

Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL