The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Hey Ray,
Never caught your act but I could tell stories about 6th street !
A little off the subject but oh the memories.
Actually did the Seagrams Magic 7 tour there

There have been many good posts about this topic on many bb systems. I got my Origami in the early 90's, and it is still a great piece. But just like any other prop, it is just that....a prop.

Kline
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Caspian,

There is a huge difference between comparing a MErcedes and a Daewoo to purchasing a knock-off illusion or trick. The purchase of a car is based upon one's income to purchase a legitimate product on an open market where the designs for the basic vehicle are the same and it is merely the fine touches (and sometimes there are little extras that only that manufacturer provide) BUT with an illusion that was designed by ONE person and only authorized to one team to build, then RIP-OFFS appear from unauthorized builder/sellers.

Cars are sold through "authorized" dealers, ripped off illusions are NOT! The one that purchases a rip-off is a "wanna-be" and his act usually reflects that poor quality.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Here's something for those considering an Origami to think about. Bill Smith is putting out a new Steinmeyer creation called Cube-Ism. Give Bill a call and ask him about it...
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
It's been advertised in magic and out sometime now.
BSMV Phone: 702-897-1224 Fax: 702-897-0833
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
It is unfortunate that there are knock offs out there. However, what's even worse is that these people who make, distribute and sell the knock-offs, are suported by the magic community.

Without stirring up too much trouble...what would the following people think if I started knocking-off and selling the following items...

Peter Loughran's Elevators, his zombie coffin or maybe his new Fractured illusion, Devil's Reflection
Kevin James' Bowl-a-rama, snow animator, Got It Covered
Losanders Floating table
Andrew de Ruiter's Illusion Design book
Cauthen's Flea Circus
Ian Adair's Crown Jewel
Sean Bogunia's Sketch pad, Amimation Snesation, Impossible Hank
Rich Marotta's Fish Bowl Production, Dynamic Duo
Pavel's Walking Knot

All these people sell their items on a certain website and if I started making these things, people might be upset. But you see, a certain dealer sells these legitimate items right alongside knock offs of other people's hard work. The people I mentioned above support this dealer in what he does. They do it by turning an eye when he does it, while all along would be up inarms if someone ripped them off. They are accesories to unethical practices by doing so.
Just my 2 cents, I could be mistaken.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Kevin,
Well" spent " !
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
karipk
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of karipk
Hey guys
Can anyone tell me where I can see what I can buy from John Gaughan?
karipk Smile
suijda
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of suijda
Smile Smile Smile
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Steinmeyer holds a patent for this illusion?
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Alex,

Yes, Steinmeyer holds a patent on the Origami apparatus design.

David
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
Sorry, guys Im Going to jump back 4 or 5 post, I feel its not the dealers falt for rip offs its the magicians, We don't say anything to the Magician who is know to use the the rip off illusion, but we write well spent and have fake origami. Erick
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Hey Kline who built your Origami? couldn't tell if it was a Gaughan or Wellington model when we saw it at MagiFest.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Caspian St. James
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
4 Posts

Profile of Caspian St. James
While I agree that we should always be looking for and creating new illusions, I also believe that illusions such as the origami are not necessarily overplayed.

I could watch illusions such as origami, asrah, sub trunk, etc. all day long if they are performed well. It all comes down to what life the magician brings to the prop. Why do people watch movies over and over? Because it made them feel something that they wanted to experience again. The story was well done.

That being said, I suppose it also depends what type of venue you perform in. Even movie theatres have to rotate the product.

Now to totally shift gears, is there a builder that anyone would recommend in Florida? This would be for props that are not tied into any specific builder.

I have only had props built by Bruce Chadwick, but I was living in Texas at the time.

Smile
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
No illusion builders that do a professional job in florida. But we do have Proline magic in Plant city Cliff Wiggs cew330@webtv.net.
You seen his work for the past 15 years in Magic Magazine advertised. Most famous for the vanishing cage.

Not to put more wood on the fire, I went to Steve Kline's web site and he has a video of his show. It was a bit dark but it shows a origami with a design style that suggests a unauthorized performance model. Not a gaughan or wellington.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Caspian St. James
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
4 Posts

Profile of Caspian St. James
Hi Zigmont-

Thanks for the email. I took a look at your website and was very impressed. I am looking forward to the Halloween nights at Busch-

Someone asked about this earlier and did not get a response about where to find Gaughn illusions. Does he have a website? I did not find anything on a standard search. All of the others have been pretty easy to find- Wellington, Steinmeyer, Bill Smith, etc.

Any direct links to John Gaughn's work?
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
John Gaughan is a gaint in the magic industry and most know how to find him. He has no website.
Gaughan John & Associates
5223 West San Fernando Road, Los Angeles, CA 90039
(818) 241-7567
Don't call to waste his time or to ask basic questions.

I will be at busch;
Zigmont is "The Execution" At Busch Gardens in "The Gruesome Guillotine"
Zigmont will be appearing at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay in conjunction with A John Bundy Production copyright show called "Theatre De la Morte "The Gruesome Guillotine". Running six times a day. See the schedule at "Busch Gardens web site."
http://www.howl-o-scream.com/tampa/event.html#event
Zigmont
Magic F/X
cubreporter
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
69 Posts

Profile of cubreporter
Whit Haydn and P Chosse have a wonderful discussion posted on this site regarding Theatre in Magic, and the proper use thereof. The Origami being "Done to Death" is magician thinking. Ask laypersons if they have ever seen a live magician, and very few have. The presentation is the thing. When creating, ask yourself this: What is it I would like to convey to the audience, and why do I feel I need to convey it? What is it I FEEL necessary to tell through this illusion and why? This should start you thinking properly for presentation. The Origami is terrific, on so many levels, but the thing that makes it great is that it is a wonderful canvas on which to paint a beautiful story.
I am whatever I am to you.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Boys... I'm back... hi Zigmo and Erick.. and so on..
Always a hot topic.. the Origami. Well for my money... the Wellington Origami is a work of art. Trust me, sure its up there in price but this is a finished, ready to perform prop. Only the authorized builders should be making this prop as the knock offs have design flaws that make it less of an illusion. This illusion is well though out ... and the audience still loves it. I wouldn't trade mine in for anything. One more thing.. the designer of these illusions need to get paid for the work. The magic world is small and they don't get rich off of their creations ... but they do need to get something for their efforts. Do you want your work or routines ripped off?? I think not...

Steve
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
Origami is a very nice illusion and worths the price, ~if anyone wants to build that illusion is better to talk with steinmeyer because he holds the rigths

luis Smile
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Origami (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL