The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any Questions? Video with Garrett Thomas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Any one that has this "Any Questions? Video with Garrett Thomas" care to give it a review?
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Well worth it for the Ring Thing and The Coin in Purse!..Eye candy that looks even better when you see them live.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
I second Mr. Freed's comments. The video is good, and not only for the "Ring Thing and The Coin in Purse" routine.

I would recommend it.

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Any Questions is an excellent video!!

1) Ring Thing- You show a ring on your finger. You take it off your finger, and they can clearly see nothing on it. You give the ring a toss, and it has jumped back onto your finger.
This is excellent. I use this all the time. It is just a visual quickie that is candy to the eye.

2) Soft Salt- You pour salt into your fist, and it magically transforms into a white hankerchief. Then you take the hankerchif and push it into your fist. You look back at the salt shaker, open the top, and the silk is INSIDE the salt shaker.
This is just awesome. If I had a table hopping job, I would definitely put this one into my set.

3) Threasy- Is a clean production and vanish of three coins. I never really looked at the explanation of this...

4) GT 3-Fly- Is a nice little handling of the ever famous 3 Fly routine.
This is a nice routine, although I don't own the gimmick he uses. I have heard, and played with the gimmick, and his ideas to make the gimmick work easier and better, are great.

5) Knucklebuster- You show your ring finger, then you pop it off. You show the finger around, then put it back on, where your finger is completly restored.
This is pretty neat looking. Just a variation of Meir Yedid's finger fantasy. Some people may not be able to actually do this trick.

6) "Switchless" PTC- This is a "test conditions" pencil through coin routine.
This is excellent. You really can't see any kind of switch. This is a great handling of the pencil, or cigarette through coin.

7) Match-Back; Matches magically return to their original state.
Great method, great effect, can be set up in no time.

8) Blind'em & Find'em; This is a Lennert Green style card routine, where you can, while blindfolded, tell every card in the deck, even though you are shuffling and cutting the deck.
This looks pretty good. Lots of sleights from what I watched, plus I find this kind of routine a little boring.

9) BIG COIN LITTLE PURSE- You start out by showing a half dollar. Then in your fingers, it visually shrinks, into almost nothing. You show your hand around, no coin in sight. Then, it magically appears. You give the coin a rub, and it grows into a 3 inch coin, but clearly to big for the coin purse, so you shrink it back down. Then you reach inside the purse, and pull out a three inch coin. It looks like the coin gets sucked out of it. Then, just as you pushed it out, you push it back in! This is visualy stunning.
I love this routine. The moves aren't to hard to get down, just like anything takes practice. This routine is so cool, when you watch him do it, your mouth will be like this Smile well, at least mine was.

So all in all, this was definitely a great purchase, and a great buy. Highly Recommended.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Thanks Everyone for your input! I think I will have to get this! That big coin little purse sound like a great routine!
Thanks much! Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Ditto to what Ben said (excellent review, Ben!)

Garrett is an awesome, top-flight sleight-of-hand expert. I like everything he does... and... "Big Coin, Little Purse" is a real-life special effect stunner. It will take a lot of work to perfect but it will be at the top of your "I wish I could do that" list until you do so. I guarantee that, Mark.

Steve
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I really enjoyed this video, and found it to contain some strong material performed well. The only thing that bothered me were the "interview" segments, where Garrett seemed a bit ill at ease, and he also seemed to "pontificate" a bit about some very basic theory/psychology as if it were cutting edge stuff that most people hadn't thought of before. I don't think this was intentional--in fact I'd be willing to bet it wasn't, as during the explanations he seemed an exceptionally likeable, unassuming guy. He just kind of came across as a "teenage philosopher" in those segments to me - part of which was due to the way they were filmed.

But that aside, this is an excellent video. I give it a 9 out of 10.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Where I could find the clip of this video?
Seems the clip on Murphysmagic does not work any more...

Hengky
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Scott:

Not sure if "teenage philosopher" was metaphorical, but Garrett is about 26 yrs old. Smile

Steve H Smile Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yes, it wasn't meant to say that he is a teenager, but that he comes across that way in those segments. I thought his performances were outstanding and his explanations excellent. I was just referring to the little segments scattered through the video where he is talking theory. There's some good info there, too. I just felt that the way those clips were done didn't do him justice and made him seem a bit preachy and ostentatious--totally the opposite of his personality in the rest of the video. That is just my opinion--I may well be the only one who got that impression. It does not lessen the value of the video to me at all. I am very happy with my purchase!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any Questions? Video with Garrett Thomas (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL