We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rubber Band Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
My friend, The Magic Juan, invented a trick and we'd like to know if anyone else invented it first.

We all know rubber band jump tricks in which the band jumps from one (or more of) the performer's finger(s) to another of the performer's finger(s); or jumps from one of the performer's hands to his/her other hand. In Juan's trick though, the band jumps from his own hand to a spectators. This could be the, or at least a, holy grail of rubber band magic, no?

We demo'd the effect around the Magic Castle a couple of days last week and none of the magicians (including some prominent ones like Eugene Berger) had ever seen it done before--except for one guy who vaguely recalled seeing it somewhere on Youtube and who thinks it's for sale on some DVD or other.

Naturally, Juan is interested in knowing if he's the original creator of this effect. Does anyone here have a clue?

TIA,

--
Skilless
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Vinny Marini has an effect where the band jumps from his hand to a spectator's hand that's on top of his. Give him a pm, and he should be able to help. He's also very knowledgeable in terms of rubber band magic. On the Café, he's: vinsmagic.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Vinny Marini lives in San Pedro, send him a PM, make a date with him, and he will tell you if you have anything. Tell him the rubber band man sent you.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I've seen Dean Dill do this.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 18:52, mavericklancer wrote:
Vinny Marini has an effect where the band jumps from his hand to a spectator's hand that's on top of his. Give him a pm, and he should be able to help. He's also very knowledgeable in terms of rubber band magic. On the Café, he's: vinsmagic.

Thank you Maverick, will do!
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 19:51, Al Angello wrote:
Vinny Marini lives in San Pedro, send him a PM, make a date with him, and he will tell you if you have anything. Tell him the rubber band man sent you.

Thanks, "Rubber Band Man!" I'm not sure where San Pedro is, but I'll definitely contact Vinny.
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 20:33, Pete Biro wrote:

I like your "STAY TOONED" sig, Pete!

Thanks for the lead! Do you know if Dean Dill is contactable? (And I wish I could afford to buy some of his props.)
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dean dill does this effect differently than the one being described although the same technique is used the handling or routining is different
vinny
if any one want to see this pm me ill send a demo both versions p[lses send e amil too
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Al it's been a while since we spoke
any how
Skiless contacted me and yes the effect is s the same
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-12-05 17:59, Skilless wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the lead! Do you know if Dean Dill is contactable? (And I wish I could afford to buy some of his props.)

Ask Pete Biro
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On 2010-12-08 06:17, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-05 17:59, Skilless wrote:
Quote:

Ask Pete Biro

Thanks, I've PM'd him.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1589 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Can we see a demo of this trick?

Patrick
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On 2011-01-01 19:18, BYUDAD wrote:

Patrick

Patrick,

I do have a camera that could do the job, but I lack a tripod; so to record a demo, I'd need two assistants--one for the camera work and one "audience volunteer." That might be hard for me to arrange as I'm fairly reclusive and don't often see more than one friend at a time; but there are a couple of magic club meetings coming up in my area this week so I'll see what I can do. If that doesn't work out, I'll have another possible opportunity later this month when Dale Salwak gives a lecture at the Magic Castle that I plan to attend. (There's no photography allowed inside but maybe I can find helpers in the lobby or outside the main entrance. I do have a wristwatch that does stealth still- and motion-photography which the Castle management is aware of. They allow me to wear it inside because the trust me and I won't violate that trust.)
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On 2011-01-01 19:18, BYUDAD wrote:

Patrick

Wait, I don't need to record it. Here's a link to a video made by someone who apparently invented it independently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsT7pyjzxk
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Wow. That looks incredible. I can see this trick getting phenomenal reactions!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
As stated earlier this band effect is a very old idea but the new routine slapping the band on a spectators hand makes it look more increditable
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 11:04, vinsmagic wrote:
As stated earlier this band effect is a very old idea but the new routine slapping the band on a spectators hand makes it look more increditable
vinny

Actually, I don't think you've seen the new routine. Hanson Chien, the Asian performer in the link I sent you, seems to perform it as a stand alone (as do I), but The Magic Juan has routined it into a beautiful, dramatic, 5-move presentation. Having completed his course at the Chavez Studio of Magic, Juan's back in Colombia now to attend muggles college; but I'll see if I can get him to record a video.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rubber Band Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL