The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Stacks... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2001-12-13 11:45, DaveVegas wrote:
Call me ignorant, but just how useful is a stacked deck? Can anyone get me out of my blissful ignorance and give me a few ideas about effects that a stacked deck can do that can’t be achieved with some fairly basic card controls? Smile

Imagine knowing the position of any card at any time as well as it's relation to any other card. Imagine being able to cut the deck anywhere and deal out any poker hand called for.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 12:36, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
On 2001-12-13 11:45, DaveVegas wrote:
Call me ignorant, but just how useful is a stacked deck? Can anyone get me out of my blissful ignorance and give me a few ideas about effects that a stacked deck can do that can’t be achieved with some fairly basic card controls? Smile

Imagine knowing the position of any card at any time as well as it's relation to any other card. Imagine being able to cut the deck anywhere and deal out any poker hand called for.

I'm not sure how useful responding to a question that's nearly six years old will be.

Perhaps a better answer - it's still six years late, but the subject's been broached - would be that with a memorized deck you obviate controls of any sort. One only has to look at effects like Simon Aronson's Everybody's Lazy to see that memorized deck work can look a lot more like real magic than most sleight of hand.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I quote Simon:

"There are cyclical stacks, there are stay stacks, there are memorized stacks, and there are a host of stacks each designed to accomplish one particular trick (e.g., the Vernon Poker deal). Each one achieves different results, has different limitations, and requires different skills of the performer. The question doesn’t seem to even recognize this.

Anyone remotely familiar with stacked deck knows instantly that there are hundreds of things that can be achieved only with a stack. That still doesn’t answer the more practical, more realistic question, of whether it’s worth it to carry a stack with you. The right answer is personal to each performer, given his performing conditions, and how much effort he wants to put in for the maximum effect. Anyone who has ever seen Juan Tamariz perform can appreciate the unique power of a stack, even though Juan’s skill level is such that he could perform miracles without it. Yet he’s come to the conclusion that a memorized stack should be at the heart of his act."
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
I just bought Mnemonica, and already can see how useful it is going to be. The faro set-up alone is terrific. While I can't see myself doing that under fire, it certainly makes setting up the stack a breeze.

Quick question for those who have followed Tamariz' instructions on memorizing the deck, specifically the auditory method... What song did you use? I realize this may seem like a dumb question, but I'm racking my brains trying to come up with something that fits, and I'm drawing a blank. Any help would be most appreciated!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I haven't used a song to memorize Aronson's stack, but, off hand, I'd imagine that Gilbert & Sullivan's I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General from Pirates of Penzance would work quite well.

In the late 1950s Tom Lehrer wrote The Elements (recently heard on NCIS) using that tune; I can easily recite all of the chemical elements:

There's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,
and hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium
and nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium,
and iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium,
europium, zirconium, lutetium, vanadium,
and lanthanum and osmium and astitine and radium,
and gold, protactinium, and indium and gallium,
and iodine and thorium and thulium and thallium.

And so on . . . .
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
Ace spadesium, three spadesium, seven heartsium, five clubsium ...?

;)
Don't forget to breathe.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There are plenty of great songs for memorizing long lists. Here are a few to get you started:

William Tell Overture
Turkey In The Straw
Jarabe Tapatío (aka, Mexican Hat Dance)
Modern Major General's Song (Pirates of Penzance)
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
Sorry, I meant Jack of spadesium, King of clubsium, five of clubsium, two of heartsium?
There's a danger in a song having similar phrases in it and getting confused. I can attest to a production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat where the song of the list of colours in his coat accidentally got into a loop one night. Some musicians realized and went back, others kept on going ... what a mess ...
Don't forget to breathe.
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
Thanks for the help- I've actually come up with something that works for me. Slightly different than what Tamariz recommends, but I also think it eliminates the danger Kosmoshiva talks about, which was one of my concerns. It also makes the Visual component easier, as far as I can tell. I don't want to tip too much of Tamariz' work, but if anyone is interested, PM me. Thanks again!
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
I read Mike Close's Workers. Then I picked up Bound to Please. Tamariz has a great stack, but Aronson is what I learned. I like Closes B'Day book and Aronson's B'Day Card. Aronson has many killer effects in his "Try the Impossible". He also had a great deal of material that any stack can be used. Finally, as a former teacher, Aronson's "Histed Heisted" was the one the students remembered.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 12:58, S2000magician wrote:
I'm not sure how useful responding to a question that's nearly six years old will be.
One only has to look at effects like Simon Aronson's [i]Everybody's Lazy to see that memorized deck work can look a lot more like real magic than most sleight of hand.

After six years, it's still relevant.
I couldn't agree more, and would add Simon Aronson[/i]'s Stacked Gemini to this point.

Aronson's stack is adaptable to many situations and as Simon himself admitted in "TRY THE IMPOSSIBLE" even after more than 30 years:
"But neither they - nor I - ever appreciated how many additional features and effects still remained secretly hidden away in my stack..."

Just Amazing!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 11:49, H2Odesign wrote:
I . . . would add Simon Aronson[/i]'s Stacked Gemini to this point.

Where does one find Stacked Gemini in print?
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 12:44, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
I . . . would add Simon Aronson's Stacked Gemini to this point.

You can find it here on Simon's site:
http://www.simonaronson.com/stackedgemini.htm
Hope you like it!
Larry
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-11-08 22:38, H2Odesign wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 12:44, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
I . . . would add Simon Aronson[/i]'s Stacked Gemini to this point.

You can find it here on Simon's site:
http://www.simonaronson.com/stackedgemini.htm
Hope you like it!
Larry

Thanks!
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I like the Nikola Stack from Hugard's "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks." It's versatile and looks random but has a number of effects inherent to the stack (Poker deals, Spelling routines, etc.). It's also easy to memorize with the word association examples supplied with the text.
ghostpianist
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of ghostpianist
Quote:
On 2007-10-30 17:26, tparrett62 wrote:
Quick question for those who have followed Tamariz' instructions on memorizing the deck, specifically the auditory method... What song did you use? I realize this may seem like a dumb question, but I'm racking my brains trying to come up with something that fits, and I'm drawing a blank. Any help would be most appreciated!

Didn't use the auditory method. Tried it but failed. Couldn't find a tune that lasts for 52 cards; so I just learnt it the hard way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Stacks... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL